Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grepping or awking multiple lines in a file - regex Post 302979239 by RavinderSingh13 on Thursday 11th of August 2016 01:55:01 PM
Old 08-11-2016
Hello SkySmart,

I am not completely sure about your requirement but could you please try following and let us know how it goes then.
Code:
awk -vs1="mello.*ello"  '{match($0,s1);if(substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH)){print}}  Input_file

Output will as follows.
Code:
mellomello1mello

In case you want to assign a shell variable's value to awk's variable then following may help you in same.
Code:
S="mello.*ello"    ##Shell variable
awk -vs1=$S '{match($0,s1);if(substr($0,RSTART,RLENGTH)){print}}'  Input_file

Output will be as follows.
Code:
mellomello1mello

Just wanted to add here above was tested in GNU awk.

Thanks,
R. Singh
This User Gave Thanks to RavinderSingh13 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to delete multiple blank lines in a file?

can't figure out a way to delete multiple empty lines but keep single empty lines in a file, file is like this #cat file 1 2 3 4 5 6 - What I want is 1 2 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awking and grepping parts of files: the 'super diff'

OKAY---- Here's what I must do. I have two files. I need to compare the two files such as with the diff command. I am adding FILENEW to FILEOLD If fields $1, $2, $5, and 6 are the same, then I don't want to add FILENEW records to FILEOLD. If they are not, then append the lines. Is... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grepping all lines of one file from another file

Hi First post on here hope you can help with something I have a file with a couple of thousand lines (all lines are one string long, i.e a number I have another file that is over 1 million lines long Example entry from file 1 123456 Example from file 2 123456 mjhyuihbn ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nampahc
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Regex matching multiple lines

I need a way to extract data from X 4T Solution 21 OCT 2011 37 .00 to account 12345678 User1 user2 X 4T Solution Solution Unlimited 11 Sep 2009 248 .00 to account 87654321 user3 user4 I need it to extract 'X' '37.00' and account number 12345678. I have extracted above stuff... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex matches from lines in file

Hello, I try to script something (bash-script) and can not find a way to get and store a match into a variable from a line in a file. grep isn't useful as the matches are not returned - just colored. I can't get 'expr' to work for me. Is it necessary to use a perl-script with regex instead? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
7 Replies

6. Programming

Grepping a column from multiple file

I have 20 files that look pretty much like this: 0.01 1 3822 4.97379915032e-14 4.96982253992e-09 0 0.01 3822 1 4.97379915032e-14 4.96982253992e-09 0 0.01 2 502 0.00993165137406 993.165137406 0 0.01 502 2 0.00993165137406 993.165137406 0 0.01 4 33 0.00189645523539 189.645523539 0 0.01 33 4... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayak
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need command for grepping pattern lines with subsequent lines

Hi, I have a requirement like, I have a list of pattens in a file say pattern.txt, PHC111 PHC113 and in another file called master.lst i have entries like, PHC111 a b PHC112 a PHC113 b c PHC114 d e (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping multiple lines in a file

HI I have a file with output as System: cu=4 ent=0.1 mode=on cu min u s w i 0 500 0.1 0.3 0.5 0.1 1 200 0.5 0.2 0.3 0.0 I need to grep the values of following column fields u, s, w and i from each row sum them up and store in a variable..:( Please help.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing next two lines from a file after grepping a specific pattern

Hi I have a file like # vi require.txt 1,BANK,Read blocks that cycle. yellow Read blocks. 2,ACCOUNT,Finished Red Finished . 3,LOAN, pipe white pipe 4,PROFIT,Resolve. black Resolve Am using like cat require.txt | grep -w ACCOUNTThe output I get is (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies
.::SWF::TextField(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    .::SWF::TextField(3pm)

NAME
SWF::TextField - SWF TextField class SYNOPSIS
use SWF::TextField; $textfield = new SWF::TextField([$flags]); DESCRIPTION
Unlike SWF::Text objects, TextFields cannot be rotated, scaled non-proportionally, or skewed. However, TextFields can be used as form entries and they can use browser-defined fonts. NOTES
: TextField is implemented into Flash since Flash3. Most of features for TextFields are available since Flash4. Simple HTML-tags in TextField are possible since Flash5. METHODS
new SWF::TextField([$flags]); Creates a TextField object whose behaviour is dictated by "flags" (see also SWF::Constants): SWFTEXTFIELD_NOEDIT: Non-editable Textfiled SWFTEXTFIELD_PASSWORD: Obscure user input with astricts. SWFTEXTFIELD_DRAWBOX: Draw a border around TextField SWFTEXTFIELD_MULTILINE: TextFiels may contain multiple lines SWFTEXTFIELD_WORDWRAP: Warp text when text reaches TextField border SWFTEXTFIELD_NOSELECT: TextField is not selected when user clicks on it SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_LEFT: Align text to the left SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_RIGHT: Align text to the right SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_CENTER: Align text to the center SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_JUSTIFY: Justify text SWFTEXTFIELD_HTML: Add HTML markup string SWFTEXTFIELD_HASLENGTH: SWFTEXTFIELD_USEFONT: Want to embed font SWFTEXTFIELD_AUTOSIZE: Flags may be combined with the bitwise OR operation. For example: my $t = new SWF::TextField(SWFTEXTFIELD_MULTILINE | SWFTEXTFIELD_WORDWRAP); $textfield->addString($string) $textfield->addUTF8String($UTF8string) Add $string to TextField. Text is appended to the existing text. $textfield->align($alignment) $textfield->setAlignment($alignment) Set the alignment of the text in the textfield. Possible values are SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_LEFT SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_RIGHT SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_CENTER SWFTEXTFIELD_ALIGN_JUSTIFY By default a SWF::TextField ist left aligned. $textfield->setBounds($width, $height) Sets the width and height of the textfield. $textfield->setColor($red, $green, $blue [, $alpha]) Set the color of the text. An 8 bit value for each parameter. You can use the hex or decimal notation. Even mixed. $tf->setColor(0xcc,0,0x33); $tf->setColor(204,0,51,255); $textfield->setFont($font) Sets an SWF::Font object -$font- to be used in the TextField. $textfield->setPadding($padding) Set TextField padding. $textfield->setHeight($height) Set the height of font in your textfield. $textfield->setIndentation($indentation) Set the indentation of the first line of a paragraph. $textfield->setLeftMargin($left) Sets the left margin of the textfield. $textfield->setRightMargin($right) Sets the right margin of the textfield. $textfield->setMargins($left, $right) Sets left and right margins of $textfield. $textfield->setLineSpacing($linespacing) Sets the space between lines. $textfield->setName($name) $textfield->setVariableName($name) Assigns a name to the TextField which could be used to reference the TextField within ActionScript. $textfield->addChars($string) $textfield->addUTF8Chars($UTF8string) Adds characters to a font that will be available within a textfield. $textfield->setFlags($flags) Set TextField behaviour by "flags" (see above new SWF::TextField) For example: $textfield->setFlags(SWFTEXTFIELD_PASSWORD); $textfield->setLength($length) Sets limit for user input size to $length. $textfield->setFieldHeight($height) Sets height limit for visible part of text field. If $height is set to 0, the height is calculated by used font, see setHeight() method. AUTHOR
Soheil Seyfaie (soheil at users.sourceforge.net). SEE ALSO
SWF, SWF::Action, SWF::Button, SWF::Constants, SWF::DisplayItem, SWF::Font, SWF::Movie, SWF::MovieCip, SWF::Text perl v5.14.2 2011-10-26 .::SWF::TextField(3pm)