Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [sed]: syntax to insert N spaces in front of a string Post 302979115 by stomp on Tuesday 9th of August 2016 03:01:03 PM
Old 08-09-2016
...some glibberish with perl...
Code:
 echo -e "lorem\nipsum\ndolor\nsit\namet" | { N=10; perl -pe "s/^/' 'x$N/e" ; }

Code:
          lorem
          ipsum
          dolor
          sit
          amet

Last edited by stomp; 08-10-2016 at 06:57 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to stomp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove spaces in a string using sed.

Hello, I have the following to remove spaces from beginning and end of a string. infile=`echo "$infilename" | sed 's/^ *//;s/ *$//` How do I modify the above code to remove spaces from beginning, end and in the middle of the string also. ex: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh, ksh: command to remove front spaces from a string?

dear pro-coders, is there any command out there that takes out the front spaces from a string? sample strings: 4 members 5 members 3 members but it has to be like so: 4 members 5 members 3 members (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pseudocoder
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I use sed to insert a string which has colon

Hi, all, I wonder if I can use sed to insert a string which has a colon. I have a txt file a.txt like the following TRAIN/DR1/FCJF0/SI1027.MFC TRAIN/DR1/FCJF0/SI1657.MFC I want to insert a string C:/TIMIT/TIMIT at the begining of each line. I use the commond: TIM=C\:/TIMIT/TIMIT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jenny.palmy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: replace string with another string (with spaces)

Hi I have an XML file with strings XABCD, XEFGHX and XIJKLX. I would like to replace XABCDX with "This is the first string", XEFGHX with "This is the second string" and XIJKLX with "This is the third string". What is the best way to implement this? Should I have a file with the data that is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zmfcat1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert predefine text in front and on a loop

Hi Experts, I wish to insert predefined text in front of every line and this needs to be in a loop because it is always expanding. Before : 11111111 22222222 33333333 44444444 55555555 77777777 88888888 00000000 To be Inserted : a= b= (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: masayangbata
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert a break page after certain string using SED

Hi: I have 2 files: teststring.txt and a tempfile.txt teststring file contains: s/Primary Ins./\n1/g I'm trying to search for "Primary Ins." string in tempfile. For every "Primary Ins." string that is found, a new line is inserted and put in number 1. Then, write out the newfile... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete leading spaces in a .csv if not in a string

Solaris, ksh I have a .csv file I am trying to clean up before loading into the database. The file contains comma separated columns that have leading spaces which I need to remove. The trouble is, some columns that should not be touched are strings which happen to have the same pattern in them. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gary_w
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a single quote in front of a line in vi editor

Hello Gurus, I wanted to put a single quote in every where starting with /oradata, and at the end with .dbf. For example I have one line as below: alter database rename datafile /oradata/test.dbf to /oradata_new/test.dbf I wanted as below alter database rename datafile '/oradata/test.dbf' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed, Inline replacement of string with spaces

Hello, Just surfed on the web for probable answers but could not get them working. I wish to replace the string containing spaces by another phrase but below answers did not work. My string is: PAIN & GAIN I wish to convert it to: P&G I just need it working with sed with function -i ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangVar - standard codes for language variation identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangVar; $lvar = code2langvar('acm'); # $lvar gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langvar2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langvar_codes(); @names = all_langvar_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangVar" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language variations, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language variations. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lvar = code2langvar('en','alpha-2'); $lvar = code2langvar('en',LOCALE_CODE_ALPHA_2); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of alphanumeric codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'arevela' for Eastern Armenian. This code set is identified with the symbol "LOCALE_LANGVAR_ALPHA". This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langvar2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langvar_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langvar_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langvar_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::rename_langvar_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::add_langvar_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangVar::delete_langvar_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 Locale::Codes::LangVar(3pm)