Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Linux Compatibility
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Linux Compatibility Post 302979024 by rbatte1 on Monday 8th of August 2016 05:11:09 AM
Old 08-08-2016
What would happen if someone created a file called INPUT_GIANT_123 rm -rf * .csv?

I fear a simple use of filename=INPUT_GIANT_*.csv might evaluate this as:-
Set the variable filename to INPUT_GIANT_123 and then run rm -rf * .csv
which might not be what you actually want to do. This might not be malicious and could be an error typing on the command line.

You might well be safer to sanitise the input before using it openly.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Motherboard Compatibility

Hi there,, I URGENTLY need to know if the Gigabyte GA 8IDML Motherboard is compatible with the Unix BSD. We need to know if we should buy new boards before we can use the product. Thanking you Hannelie Bosch:confused: :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hbosch
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compatibility problem ??!!

hi! i have two problems with the following script who prepares a date (removes the heading zero from day if day<10) for arithmetical operations: <script> #!/usr/bin/sh DAY=`date +%d`; echo 1 - $DAY;#i.e. 06 DAY=${DAY#0}; echo 2 - $DAY;#i.e. 6 </script> 1. every time i run this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux & Unix Compatibility

I am looking for a dual XEON or any dual CPU motherboard that can support Linux and Solaris at the same time. Does anyone have any idea? I am now looking at the TYAN S2507T / TYAN S2505T / TYAN S2720, you guys have any clue?:confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: doyho
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Disks compatibility

Hi all, I am trying to isntall veritas replicator on 2 DA 3000 storage , But with little luck . I am running a solaris 10 and vsf 4.1, Veritas Volume Replicator Option 4.1 My question is that : when i got the array i had 2 disks missing , So we had to replace them , but I found out that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppass
0 Replies

5. SCO

SCO 5.0.6 application compatibility w/ Linux?

Hello Valued Members, I was wondering if there are any Linux, BSD, versions that can run SCO 5.0.6 applications without much modification? I was looking into purchasing a copy of Caldera Openlinux, the last version, but wanted to ask if there are any other options of a newer variant. I am also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stay0ut
8 Replies

6. Linux

Linux-laptop compatibility debate

Hey guys, i use my mac laptop and i love it, but i have decided its time to break the mold and use linux, and since linux on macs suck, i need to know what kind of pc to build... I want to know what kind of motherboard, wireless cards, hard drives, laptops, video cards, and etc. people have had... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mesaynaysayer
3 Replies

7. Hardware

Linux Hardware Compatibility Guide (2007 HOWTO)

Before posting questions about Linux hardware, it is a good idea to check the Linux Hardware HOWTO guide (Last Update: 2007-05-22) However, this HOWTO has not been maintained since 2007 and it out-of-date. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

8. SCO

Binary compatibility

Hi I'm going to buy C-ISAM 7.25 under sco unixware 7 to install in sco openserver 5.0.7. I'm wondering sco unixware 7 and sco openserver 5.0.6 are binary compatibles ? tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 - HW compatibility

Sorry, if this isn't the right forum for this question. I would like to compile an executable with gcc/g++ under Solaris 10 on the following OLDER SPARC-machine and then run this executable on the NEW SPARC-machine (see description down in this post). I'm wondering if it would be possible or if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunfire
4 Replies

10. BSD

OpenBSD fdisk - Linux fdisk compatibility ?

Hello, MBR partition table made by linux fdisk looks certainly not correct when printed by openbsd fdisk: Partition table created on linux (centos 6.3): # fdisk -l /dev/sdc Disk /dev/sdc: 10.7 GB, 10737418240 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1305 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 *... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies
CHSH(1) 							   User Commands							   CHSH(1)

NAME
chsh - change login shell SYNOPSIS
chsh [options] [LOGIN] DESCRIPTION
The chsh command changes the user login shell. This determines the name of the user's initial login command. A normal user may only change the login shell for her own account; the superuser may change the login shell for any account. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the chsh command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. -s, --shell SHELL The name of the user's new login shell. Setting this field to blank causes the system to select the default login shell. If the -s option is not selected, chsh operates in an interactive fashion, prompting the user with the current login shell. Enter the new value to change the shell, or leave the line blank to use the current one. The current shell is displayed between a pair of [ ] marks. NOTE
The only restriction placed on the login shell is that the command name must be listed in /etc/shells, unless the invoker is the superuser, and then any value may be added. An account with a restricted login shell may not change her login shell. For this reason, placing /bin/rsh in /etc/shells is discouraged since accidentally changing to a restricted shell would prevent the user from ever changing her login shell back to its original value. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shells List of valid login shells. /etc/login.defs Shadow password suite configuration. SEE ALSO
chfn(1), login.defs(5), passwd(5). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 CHSH(1)