Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add number prepend certain lines Post 302979006 by RudiC on Monday 8th of August 2016 04:16:16 AM
Old 08-08-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
What have you tried to solve this problem?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count the number of lines that start with the number

I have a file with contents similar to this. abcd 1234 4567 7666 jdjdjd 89289 9382 92 jksdj 9823 298 I want to write a shell script which count the number of lines that start with the number (disregard the lines starting with alphabets) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grajp002
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

add number in lines line by line in different files

I have a set of log files that are in the following format ======= set_1 ======== counter : 315 counter2: 204597 counter3: 290582 ======= set_2 ======== counter : 315 counter2: 204597 counter3: 290582 ======= set_3 ======== counter : 315 counter2: 204597 counter3: 290582 Is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: grandguest
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add the number of row and count number of rows

Hi experts a have a very large file and I need to add two columns: the first one numbering the incidence of records and the another with the total count The input file: 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 A 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 2341 C 21 4567 A 21 4567 A 21 4567 C ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: juelillo
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string number to lines

So I have a file in the form > akdfvcnciejcndmdjfk > kdjkkkifjeeeeelfjfuf > fjfhchdejhfhfhfhfhfhf > skdkdhfhvnvncnccm and I would like it to come out in the form >1 akdfvcnciejcndmdjfk >2 kdjkkkifjeeeeelfjfuf >3 fjfhchdejhfhfhfhfhfhf (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines for number greater than given number

Hello, I am newbie to bash scripting. Could someone help me with the following. I have log file with output as shown below **************************LOG************************* 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Pinging xx.xx.xx.xx with 32 bytes of data: 11/20/2013 9:11:23.64 Reply from xx.xx.xx.xx:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meena_2013
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find header in a text file and prepend it to all lines until another header is found

I've been struggling with this one for quite a while and cannot seem to find a solution for this find/replace scenario. Perhaps I'm getting rusty. I have a file that contains a number of metrics (exactly 3 fields per line) from a few appliances that are collected in parallel. To identify the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)