Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Read line and save fields as variables Post 302978905 by vgersh99 on Friday 5th of August 2016 10:32:13 AM
Old 08-05-2016
Strange, I get the desired out:
Code:
 I AM OUTSIDE THE LOOP
 I AM INSIDE THE LOOP
 I AM INSIDE THE LOOP
 I AM INSIDE THE LOOP

Could you post the output of cat -vet ./calls.txt using the code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a line and put it into 3 variables

Hi All, I'll get a file whose 2nd line contains 3 fields: filename(variable length), file size char(10), and record count int(10). How do I cut it and put it into 3 variables? eg: abcd.csv01234567891111111111 now I want: $one = abcd.csv, $two = 0123456789, $three = 1111111111. I also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandab
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables from line to fixed length

I would like to make a script to read three variables (no fixed length or position) from a line and write them into a file, with fixed length and right-justified in each column. The fixed text (text1-text4) prior to the thee variables and the variables themselves are originally separated by spaces... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SharkM
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Save enviroment variables

I need to save my enviroment variables,specially the $PATH.When I put it on .cshrc at next reboot I lost the configuration.How can avoid this?Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgf0
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read 1-line file and separate into multiple variables

I have one line files with 17 records separated by a semi-colon. I need to create a variable from each record, which I can do via a separate awk for each one, but I know there has to be a better way. Along with pulling out the variable, I need to convert some url coding like a + to a space, etc.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and for each line replace two variables, add strings and save output in another file

Hi All, I have a file, let's call it "info.tmp" that contains data like this .. ABC123456 PCX333445 BCD789833 I need to read "info.tmp" and for each line add strings in a way that the final output is put /logs/ua/dummy.trigger 'AAA00001.FTP.XXX.BLA03A01.xxxxxx(+1)' where XXX... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andy_ARG
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (or other) script that assigns fields from a line to multiple variables

Hey all, Unfortunately I have only basic knowledge of awk and/or scripting. If I have a file with lines that can look similar to this: Name=line1 Arg1=valueA Arg2=valueB Arg3=valueC Name=line2 Arg1=valueD Name=line3 Arg1=valueE Arg3=valueF Name=line4 Arg2=valueG ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rike255
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read a delimited string and assign fields to incremented variables?

How can I read a string delimited on spaces and assign the fields to incremented variables. For example: Given $exts= txt dat mov I want to read in $exts and have "txt" "dat" and "mov" assigned to incremented variables like $ext1, $ext2, etc. I would like to do this in a loop so that I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: runit
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Set variables from fields in fields

Hi, This is my first post here and I am a newbie. :) I have a file that looks like this : Introduction:Intro_123.html Product definition:Prod_def.html System Setup:SSetup-64bit.html Setting up user accounts:Set_user_acc.html I tried to create a script that would output "The filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joq
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line by line and calculate the co-presence of variables

Hey guyz, I have a table which shows the presence or absence of my variables (A,B,C,...) in my observations (1,2,3,...) * A B C ... 1 1 0 1 2 1 1 0 3 1 0 0 ... I want to calculate the co-presence of my variables. to have a table shows the pairwise presence of the variables (have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Psql output into array and read 2 fields into different variables

Hello Just edited the entry to make it easier to understand what i want How can i achieve this: GOAL: read 2 field from a table with PSQL result of this PSQL command is this INSTALLEDLANG=$(su - postgres -c "psql -A -t -q -c -d ${DBNAME} -t -c 'SELECT code, iso_code from res_lang'") ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: winston6071
0 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one doesn't already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. Normally, varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable of that name in the current namespace is read or written. If varName includes names- pace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), the variable in the specified namespace is read or written. If no procedure is active, then varName refers to a namespace variable (global variable if the current namespace is the global namespace). If a procedure is active, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure unless the global command was invoked to declare varName to be global, or unless a variable command was invoked to declare varName to be a namespace variable. SEE ALSO
expr(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)