Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk Behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk Behavior Post 302978840 by Don Cragun on Thursday 4th of August 2016 03:41:04 PM
Old 08-04-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
Thank you Don. I checked gawk code in field.c - routines for dealing with fields and record parsing.

So record parsing happens first with default field separator, then new field separator is used to parse subsequent records.

I also noticed that function set_NF is called before record parsing. So gawk behavior for this variable is different.
Code:
awk -F, '{NF=1}{print $NF}' dafile

Any idea why developers didn't do the same with function set_FS
I have not looked at the gawk code (and for legal reasons choose not to do so). But one might guess that a function named set_NF() would set the value of the awk NF variable. Are you really telling me that gawk sets the value of NF for a new input record BEFORE parsing that record into fields??? That makes absolutely no sense to me! How can it set NF before it parses a record into fields to determine what value should be assigned to NF? One might expect that a function like that would be called to parse an input line or AFTER parsing an input line depending on the context. In the context of reading a new record from an input file at the start of a new cycle and in the context of using the awk command:
Code:
getline

with no argument naming a variable to be assigned and with no input redirection that should happen (as well as setting $x (for 0 <= x <= NF), NR, and FNR). In the context of reading a new record from an input file using the awk command:
Code:
getline variable

with a variable, but no input redirection, NR and FNR should be updated, but NF and the current record's fields should not be modified. In the context of reading a new record from an input file using the awk command:
Code:
getline variable < file
        or
command | getline variable

with a variable and with input redirection, none of the variables NF, NR, FNR, nor the current record's fields should change.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ls behavior

I put this here because it is a 'behavior' type question.. I seem to remember doing ls .* and getting all the .-files, like .profile .login etc. But ls .* doesn't do that, it lsts the contents of every .*-type subdirectory. Is it supposed to? I should think that a -R should be given to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtleRamsli
10 Replies

2. Programming

Behavior of pthreads

Hi All, I ve written a small program to get started off with pthreads. I somehow feel the program doesnt meet the purpose. Please find the code and the output below. Please find my question at the bottom. #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void *PrintThread1(void... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhrraj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed behavior on hp-ux

the sed command: sed 's/^*//' file does not work on HP-UX :-( but it works fine on Linux, content of file: <tab><tab>hello output should be: hello Any ideas?? Thank you Andy (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
8 Replies

4. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print behavior weird

Hi Experts I am facing a weird issue while using print statement in awk. I have a text file with 3 fields shown below: # cat f1 234,abc,1000 235,efg,2000 236,jih,3000 # When I print the third column alone, I dont face any issue as shown below: # awk '{print $3 }' FS=, f1 1000 2000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

7. AIX

LUN Behavior

Aix 6.1, working with a nim master and nim_altmaster both LPARS have access to the same data LUN, /nimdisk I do realize the risks of having 2 servers access the same LUN, however it serves the purpose of being able to restore mksysb's to/from our DR site if necessary, at least in theory ;) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird behavior of Vi

Hi there, I am a bit puzzled by a weird behavior of Vi. I very simply would like to add increased numbers in some files. Since I have many thousands entries per file and many files, I would like to macro it in vi. To do this, I enter the first number ("0001") on the first line and then yank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaination on Behavior of awk command

Hello Admin, Could you pls explain on the below behavior of the awk command. $ awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk '{print $NF}' | sort | tail -1 65 $var=`awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
3 Replies