Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk Behavior
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers awk Behavior Post 302978826 by Yoda on Thursday 4th of August 2016 01:16:49 PM
Old 08-04-2016
Thank you Don. I checked gawk code in field.c - routines for dealing with fields and record parsing.

So record parsing happens first with default field separator, then new field separator is used to parse subsequent records.

I also noticed that function set_NF is called before record parsing. So gawk behavior for this variable is different.
Code:
awk -F, '{NF=1}{print $NF}' dafile

Any idea why developers didn't do the same with function set_FS

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

ls behavior

I put this here because it is a 'behavior' type question.. I seem to remember doing ls .* and getting all the .-files, like .profile .login etc. But ls .* doesn't do that, it lsts the contents of every .*-type subdirectory. Is it supposed to? I should think that a -R should be given to... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AtleRamsli
10 Replies

2. Programming

Behavior of pthreads

Hi All, I ve written a small program to get started off with pthreads. I somehow feel the program doesnt meet the purpose. Please find the code and the output below. Please find my question at the bottom. #include <pthread.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> void *PrintThread1(void... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhrraj
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed behavior on hp-ux

the sed command: sed 's/^*//' file does not work on HP-UX :-( but it works fine on Linux, content of file: <tab><tab>hello output should be: hello Any ideas?? Thank you Andy (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: andy2000
8 Replies

4. Programming

Strange behavior in C++

I have the following program: int main(int argc, char** argv){ unsigned long int mean=0; for(int i=1;i<10;i++){ mean+=poisson(12); cout<<mean<<endl; } cout<<"Sum of poisson: "<< mean; return 0; } when I run it, I get the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: santiagorf
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

Unusual Behavior?

Our comp-operator has come across a peculiar ‘feature'. We have this directory where we save all the reports that were generated for a particular department for only one calendar year. Currently there are 45,869 files. When the operator tried to backup that drive it started to print a flie-listing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print behavior weird

Hi Experts I am facing a weird issue while using print statement in awk. I have a text file with 3 fields shown below: # cat f1 234,abc,1000 235,efg,2000 236,jih,3000 # When I print the third column alone, I dont face any issue as shown below: # awk '{print $3 }' FS=, f1 1000 2000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruprasadpr
5 Replies

7. AIX

LUN Behavior

Aix 6.1, working with a nim master and nim_altmaster both LPARS have access to the same data LUN, /nimdisk I do realize the risks of having 2 servers access the same LUN, however it serves the purpose of being able to restore mksysb's to/from our DR site if necessary, at least in theory ;) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Weird behavior of Vi

Hi there, I am a bit puzzled by a weird behavior of Vi. I very simply would like to add increased numbers in some files. Since I have many thousands entries per file and many files, I would like to macro it in vi. To do this, I enter the first number ("0001") on the first line and then yank... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hypsis
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaination on Behavior of awk command

Hello Admin, Could you pls explain on the below behavior of the awk command. $ awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk '{print $NF}' | sort | tail -1 65 $var=`awk -F">20" "/Cyclomatic complexity/ && /;add;/{print \$1}" inspect_64d_369980 | awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
3 Replies
Net::Time(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    Net::Time(3pm)

NAME
Net::Time - time and daytime network client interface SYNOPSIS
use Net::Time qw(inet_time inet_daytime); print inet_time(); # use default host from Net::Config print inet_time('localhost'); print inet_time('localhost', 'tcp'); print inet_daytime(); # use default host from Net::Config print inet_daytime('localhost'); print inet_daytime('localhost', 'tcp'); DESCRIPTION
"Net::Time" provides subroutines that obtain the time on a remote machine. inet_time ( [HOST [, PROTOCOL [, TIMEOUT]]]) Obtain the time on "HOST", or some default host if "HOST" is not given or not defined, using the protocol as defined in RFC868. The optional argument "PROTOCOL" should define the protocol to use, either "tcp" or "udp". The result will be a time value in the same units as returned by time() or undef upon failure. inet_daytime ( [HOST [, PROTOCOL [, TIMEOUT]]]) Obtain the time on "HOST", or some default host if "HOST" is not given or not defined, using the protocol as defined in RFC867. The optional argument "PROTOCOL" should define the protocol to use, either "tcp" or "udp". The result will be an ASCII string or undef upon failure. AUTHOR
Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1995-2004 Graham Barr. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-08-26 Net::Time(3pm)