Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multi threading - running multiple processes at the same time Post 302978541 by bakunin on Sunday 31st of July 2016 11:13:14 PM
Old 08-01-2016
As the title of this thread suggests you confuse multithreading and multitasking.

The difference between a thread and a task is that a task is a process in its own rights: complete with its own process environment, its own stack, its own text segments, data segments, and so on. A thread has nothing of that. It is just a separate succession of machine statements sharing the process environment with all the other threads which make up this certain process.

Multitasking is having several processes run at once. Multithreading means that one process has several threads (usually utilizing a CPU specifically designed to support that).

What you do here is multitasking. You start several processes (even the same executable started several times will create separate processes) and if these processes are multithreaded depends on the exectuable.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Multi-threading questions

I've been doing some reading lately about threading (Posix threads) and I'm really curious about a couple things that I've read. I'm not sure if many people here have threading experience, but I thought it would be nice to be able to discuss some questions about it. (For the record, I did... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
1 Replies

2. Programming

Multi threading using fork

Hi, I have written a code which will run a set of process using fork. I want to know from You how can i start another job when one of my job in my loop is completed My code is #include<stdio.h> #include<ctype.h> main() { int pid,cid; ChildProcess(); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshraju_ma
1 Replies

3. Programming

Regarding Multi-Threading

Hi All, Here's my question I have a 385 MB file containing 5,000,000 records. I need to read from the file and load into a table. Initially i thought of doing it in a single thread (execution of a single program) but when calculated accounted 16 hours of time on a standard benchmark. Hence... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
5 Replies

4. Programming

Multi threading?

I am not sure if multi threading is the correct term, but here is what I am trying to do. I have a while loop that displays the number 1, pauses, displays the number 2, pauses , displays the number 3 ad infinitum. It just keeps counting. While the screen displays the sequence of numbers counting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
4 Replies

5. Programming

Multi-threading

Hi, If we create 10 threads to invoke runQuery method at same time, Will queryProcessor will be overriden sometime or 10 different copies will be created? We are not using any sunchronzation mechnism in runQuery(). so there is not gurantee on QueryProcessor class variables right OR each 10... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jramesh1
1 Replies

6. Programming

Multi-threading

In this piece i implemented the gossip method. The first thread is invoked from inside the (msg is first sent from node -1 to 0 from main()) and the other threads are invoked from inside of the thread function itself. I used two mutexes and a condition variable to control the synchronization. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saman_glorious
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion over Multi Threading

Hi, I am trying to get my head round Multi Threading and I have a few queries to try and clear up my confusion Q1. Is multi threading a hardware / chip level concept, an OS level or an application level concept ? I am trying to work out where SMT architecture fits in. Q2. What's the multi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Many processes running at the same time

Hello everybody , I launched cron to execute a task every hour but the job takes more than hour that's why I'm getting more than 1000 cron processes running at the same time !!! My question is how to tell cron not to execute unless the job terminated in order to have only one process running .... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: beautymind
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processes running response time

Hi All I have been asked to write scripts within our monitoring tool for a vast requirement set. One of the requirements is below: • Lowest, Highest & Average response times of the Documentum process threads serving client requests Essentially they want a view where we can see the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multi threading in UNIX

Hi, Can we apply multi threading in Unix. I am using bash shell. We have a generic script to load the data to table based on file input. For each file there is an individual table to load. For each file found in directory I want to load the data in parallel to target table using ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
3 Replies
RUNQUEUE(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					       RUNQUEUE(9)

NAME
choosethread, procrunnable, remrunqueue, setrunqueue -- manage the queue of runnable processes SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/proc.h> extern struct rq itqueues[]; extern struct rq rtqueues[]; extern struct rq queues[]; extern struct rq idqueues[]; struct thread * choosethread(void); int procrunnable(void); void remrunqueue(struct thread *td); void setrunqueue(struct thread *td); DESCRIPTION
The run queue consists of four priority queues: itqueues for interrupt threads, rtqueues for realtime priority processes, queues for time sharing processes, and idqueues for idle priority processes. Each priority queue consists of an array of NQS queue header structures. Each queue header identifies a list of runnable processes of equal priority. Each queue also has a single word that contains a bit mask identify- ing non-empty queues to assist in selecting a process quickly. These are named itqueuebits, rtqueuebits, queuebits, and idqueuebits. The run queues are protected by the sched_lock mutex. procrunnable() returns zero if there are no runnable processes other than the idle process. If there is at least one runnable process other than the idle process, it will return a non-zero value. Note that the sched_lock mutex does not need to be held when this function is called. There is a small race window where one CPU may place a process on the run queue when there are currently no other runnable processes while another CPU is calling this function. In that case the second CPU will simply travel through the idle loop one additional time before noticing that there is a runnable process. This works because idle CPUs are not halted in SMP systems. If idle CPUs are halted in SMP sys- tems, then this race condition might have more serious repercussions in the losing case, and procrunnable() may have to require that the sched_lock mutex be acquired. choosethread() returns the highest priority runnable thread. If there are no runnable threads, then the idle thread is returned. This func- tion is called by cpu_switch() and cpu_throw() to determine which thread to switch to. choosethread() must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. setrunqueue() adds the thread td to the tail of the appropriate queue in the proper priority queue. The thread must be runnable, i.e. p_stat must be set to SRUN. This function must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. remrunqueue() removes thread td from its run queue. If td is not on a run queue, then the kernel will panic(9). This function must be called with the sched_lock mutex held. SEE ALSO
cpu_switch(9), scheduler(9), sleepqueue(9) BSD
August 15, 2010 BSD