Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Identify problem with while getopts Post 302978475 by Don Cragun on Sunday 31st of July 2016 02:50:07 AM
Old 07-31-2016
If you are trying to have 4 scenarios, why does you script run the usage macro in three of the 4 scenarios (only moving on to the final two echo commands in your script if both options are present on the command line?

Please describe what you want your script to do in these 4 scenarios. Without knowing what these 4 scenarios are, I don't see how we can guess at how to correct your script.

And, what is the format of the -i and -e option-arguments. From your code I assume that the strings include: or exclude:, respectively, must occur somewhere in the option-arguments (not necessarily at the start of those option-arguments), but why these strings are needed (rather than assumed from the option-letter) is not clear, what else is expected in those option-arguments is not clear, and whether or not some default value should be used for these option-arguments if the options are not specified on the command line is not clear.

Please also show us an actual synopsis for your utility showing the utility name, the options, and operands that are expected in the various valid manners in which your utility can be invoked. (For example, the string -query appears at the end of your usage statement. Is that an indication that there are 4 more options (-q, -u, -r, and -y as well as a -e without an option-argument), or is it another mandatory string that is supposed to appear as the final operand to your utility?

You seem to have several operands that are required to be constant pathnames. Why does a user have to type in a constant pathname when your script could supply it automatically without the user having to type it in every time your script is invoked?
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with getopts

I need to parse parameters but the arguments could be NULL,example: > cat getopts.sh while getopts "a:b:" opt 2>/dev/null do case "${opt}" in a) echo "A:${OPTARG}" ;; b) echo "B:${OPTARG}" ;; *) exit 1 ;; esac done > getopts.sh -a TEST1 -b TEST2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in getopts

while getopts l:f:s:o:h: c do case $c in l) tail -${OPTARG} /etc/passwd exit 2;; f) head -${OPTARG} /etc/passwd exit 3;; s) grep ${OPTARG} /etc/passwd | cut -d: -f7 exit 4;; o) OARG=$OPTARG exit 5;; h) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with getopts

Hi, I am a new member to unix.com. Actually I am facing a problem with getopts. In my script i have used getopts to parse the parameters. when i use the script as shown below its working fine: find_status -p all ### where find_status is a script name. But even if I pass more than one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvamsikr
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getopts problem

i was going through the man page of getopts this particular section is not clear to me can anyone please clarify in a little detail so that i can understand the concept MANPAGE:: Since getopts affects the current shell execution environ- ment, it is generally provided as a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobydick
7 Replies

5. HP-UX

using getopts

Is there a restriction on levels of using 'getopts' ? I have several scripts, each of which requires an option as the first parameter . If I call one prg separately it works fine, but when one prg calls another prg and passes the option on the called prg, then the called prg seems not to process... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vslewis
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts problem

How do I get the getopts command to display whats written at my help option if no option is types in? For example, myscript.sh -h will bring up my help option, however, I also want myscript.sh to do the same! #!/bin/bash while getopts :abh opt do case "$opt" in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts problem

Hi everyone I want to know how can we pass multiple argument in getopts suppose PARAMS="abcd" while getopts ${PARMS} FLAG do case ${FLAG} in (a) (b) (c) (d) esac (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts - optional and problem to display help

In the below code while getopts :rfw:d:s:a: options do case "$options" in r) echo reverse;; f) echo forward;; w) window=$OPTARG;; d) duration=$OPTARG;; s) search=$OPTARG;; a) value=$OPTARG;; *) help; exit;; esac done ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amutha
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify function image magick problem - perl

Hi, I got some error when I try to write content from file store into array then for each word that separate by space use identify function to display image information.here is my code #!/usr/bin/perl -w open(FILE,'transfer_file_perl.txt') or die "$!"; my $line = <FILE>;#because it is one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guidely
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with getopts

Hi, I have written a script to take command line arguments using geopts.This is the code. #!/bin/sh # The usage of this script. usage="Usage is $0" usage="$usage " usage="$usage " usage="$usage " # Use the getopt utility to set up the command line flags. set -- `/usr/bin/getopt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
4 Replies
PERF_3.2-SCRIPT(1)						    perf Manual 						PERF_3.2-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
perf-script - Read perf.data (created by perf record) and display trace output SYNOPSIS
perf script [<options>] perf script [<options>] record <script> [<record-options>] <command> perf script [<options>] report <script> [script-args] perf script [<options>] <script> <required-script-args> [<record-options>] <command> perf script [<options>] <top-script> [script-args] DESCRIPTION
This command reads the input file and displays the trace recorded. There are several variants of perf script: 'perf script' to see a detailed trace of the workload that was recorded. You can also run a set of pre-canned scripts that aggregate and summarize the raw trace data in various ways (the list of scripts is available via 'perf script -l'). The following variants allow you to record and run those scripts: 'perf script record <script> <command>' to record the events required for 'perf script report'. <script> is the name displayed in the output of 'perf script --list' i.e. the actual script name minus any language extension. If <command> is not specified, the events are recorded using the -a (system-wide) 'perf record' option. 'perf script report <script> [args]' to run and display the results of <script>. <script> is the name displayed in the output of 'perf trace --list' i.e. the actual script name minus any language extension. The perf.data output from a previous run of 'perf script record <script>' is used and should be present for this command to succeed. [args] refers to the (mainly optional) args expected by the script. 'perf script <script> <required-script-args> <command>' to both record the events required for <script> and to run the <script> using 'live-mode' i.e. without writing anything to disk. <script> is the name displayed in the output of 'perf script --list' i.e. the actual script name minus any language extension. If <command> is not specified, the events are recorded using the -a (system-wide) 'perf record' option. If <script> has any required args, they should be specified before <command>. This mode doesn't allow for optional script args to be specified; if optional script args are desired, they can be specified using separate 'perf script record' and 'perf script report' commands, with the stdout of the record step piped to the stdin of the report script, using the '-o -' and '-i -' options of the corresponding commands. 'perf script <top-script>' to both record the events required for <top-script> and to run the <top-script> using 'live-mode' i.e. without writing anything to disk. <top-script> is the name displayed in the output of 'perf script --list' i.e. the actual script name minus any language extension; a <top-script> is defined as any script name ending with the string 'top'. [<record-options>] can be passed to the record steps of 'perf script record' and 'live-mode' variants; this isn't possible however for <top-script> 'live-mode' or 'perf script report' variants. See the 'SEE ALSO' section for links to language-specific information on how to write and run your own trace scripts. OPTIONS
<command>... Any command you can specify in a shell. -D, --dump-raw-script= Display verbose dump of the trace data. -L, --Latency= Show latency attributes (irqs/preemption disabled, etc). -l, --list= Display a list of available trace scripts. -s [lang], --script= Process trace data with the given script ([lang]:script[.ext]). If the string lang is specified in place of a script name, a list of supported languages will be displayed instead. -g, --gen-script= Generate perf-script.[ext] starter script for given language, using current perf.data. -a Force system-wide collection. Scripts run without a <command> normally use -a by default, while scripts run with a <command> normally don't - this option allows the latter to be run in system-wide mode. -i, --input= Input file name. -d, --debug-mode Do various checks like samples ordering and lost events. -f, --fields Comma separated list of fields to print. Options are: comm, tid, pid, time, cpu, event, trace, ip, sym, dso, addr. Field list can be prepended with the type, trace, sw or hw, to indicate to which event type the field list applies. e.g., -f sw:comm,tid,time,ip,sym and -f trace:time,cpu,trace perf script -f <fields> is equivalent to: perf script -f trace:<fields> -f sw:<fields> -f hw:<fields> i.e., the specified fields apply to all event types if the type string is not given. The arguments are processed in the order received. A later usage can reset a prior request. e.g.: -f trace: -f comm,tid,time,ip,sym The first -f suppresses trace events (field list is ""), but then the second invocation sets the fields to comm,tid,time,ip,sym. In this case a warning is given to the user: "Overriding previous field request for all events." Alternativey, consider the order: -f comm,tid,time,ip,sym -f trace: The first -f sets the fields for all events and the second -f suppresses trace events. The user is given a warning message about the override, and the result of the above is that only S/W and H/W events are displayed with the given fields. For the 'wildcard' option if a user selected field is invalid for an event type, a message is displayed to the user that the option is ignored for that type. For example: $ perf script -f comm,tid,trace 'trace' not valid for hardware events. Ignoring. 'trace' not valid for software events. Ignoring. Alternatively, if the type is given an invalid field is specified it is an error. For example: perf script -v -f sw:comm,tid,trace 'trace' not valid for software events. At this point usage is displayed, and perf-script exits. Finally, a user may not set fields to none for all event types. i.e., -f "" is not allowed. -k, --vmlinux=<file> vmlinux pathname --kallsyms=<file> kallsyms pathname --symfs=<directory> Look for files with symbols relative to this directory. -G, --hide-call-graph When printing symbols do not display call chain. -c, --cpu Only report samples for the list of CPUs provided. Multiple CPUs can be provided as a comma-separated list with no space: 0,1. Ranges of CPUs are specified with -: 0-2. Default is to report samples on all CPUs. -I, --show-info Display extended information about the perf.data file. This adds information which may be very large and thus may clutter the display. It currently includes: cpu and numa topology of the host system. It can only be used with the perf script report mode. SEE ALSO
perf_3.2-record(1), perf_3.2-script-perl(1), perf_3.2-script-python(1) perf 06/24/2012 PERF_3.2-SCRIPT(1)