Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tip: how to get the deepest directories Post 302978379 by MadeInGermany on Friday 29th of July 2016 12:41:22 PM
Old 07-29-2016
Good point. Yes, in practise there is hardly a need for hard-linking a directory. And there are even some risks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for parsing directories one level and finding directories older than n days

Hello all, Here's the deal...I have one directory with many subdirs and files. What I want to find out is who is keeping old files and directories...say files and dirs that they didn't use since a number of n days, only one level under the initial dir. Output to a file. A script for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejianu
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the directories, sub directories in a mount along with size in ascending order?

Hi , I am very new to unix as well as shell scripting. I have to write a script for the following requirement. In a particular mount, have to list all the directories and sub directories along with size of the directory and sub directory in ascending order. Please help me in this regard and many... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmakkena
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep command to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories.

Hi all, Using grep command, i want to find the pattern of text in all directories and sub-directories. e.g: if i want to search for a pattern named "parmeter", i used the command grep -i "param" ../* is this correct? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinothrajan55
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to list all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current path except one directory?

Can anyone come up with a unix command that lists all the files, directories and sub-directories in the current directory except a folder called log.? Thank you in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date

It is for HP-Unix B.11.31. Requirement: 1. List the directories, having given pattern in the directories name, sorted by creation date. Example: Directories with name "pkg32*" or "pkg33*" 2. On the output of 1. list the directories by creation date as sort order, with creation date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tip: show the last 3 directories in the shell prompt

tcsh: have the following in .cshrc (or .tcshrc) set prompt=": " zsh: have the following in .zshrc PS1="%# " bash: have the following in .bashrc PS1='\$ 'Lacking direct support this is a good approximation. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MadeInGermany
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Giving read write permission to user for specific directories and sub directories.

I have searched this quite a long time but couldn't find the right method for me to use. I need to assign read write permission to the user for specific directories and it's sub directories and files. I do not want to use ACL. This is for Solaris. Please help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blinkingdan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

[Tip] Housekeeping Tasks Made Easy - User Home directories and Leftover Files

We have regularly questions about how to create users and user accounts. But regularly user accounts need to be deleted too. It is quite easy to delete the user account itself but usually the HOME directory of the user remains. It is good style to remove these directories but simply deleting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
3 Replies
MKJIGSNAP(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      MKJIGSNAP(8)

NAME
mkjigsnap - Create a snapshot tree on a jigdo server SYNOPSIS
mkjigsnap [OPTIONS] <-d snapshot_dir> <-j jigdo_file> <-k keyword> <-m mirror> <-n CD_name> <-o output_directory> <-t template_file> mkjigsnap [OPTIONS] <-d snapshot_dir> <-m mirror> <-J jigdo_list> <-j jigdo_file> <-k keyword> DESCRIPTION
mkjigsnap creates snapshot directories for use by other jigdo tools. It can be run in two distinct modes: Jigit / single-jigdo mode To build a jigit .conf file for a single jigdo file: add the "-n" option with a CD name on the command line and only specify a single jigdo to work with using "-j". Required arguments for this mode: -d snapshot_dir Specify the output directory name to be used for the snapshot tree (e.g. 20041011, rc1). In single-jigdo mode this will be relative to the output directory. -j jigdo_file Specify the location of the jigdo file to be used. -m mirror Specify the location of the mirror containing all the files needed. This must be on the same filesystem as the output directory, as hard links will be used to create the snapshot efficiently. -n CD_name Specify the output name of the CD for jigit (e.g. warty, sarge-i386-1). -o output_directory Specify the output location for the jigdo, template, conf and snapshot. This must be on the same filesystem as the mirror, as hard links will be used to create the snapshot efficiently. -t template_file Specify the location of the template file to be used. Multi-jigdo mode To build a snapshot tree for (potentially multiple) jigdo files: do not specify the "-n" option, and list as many jigdo files as desired, either on the command line using multiple "-j <jigdo>" options or (better) via a file listing them with the "-J" option. Required arguments for this mode: -d snapshot_dir Specify the output directory name to be used for the snapshot tree (e.g. 20041011, rc1). -J jigdo_list Specify the location of a file listing the jigdo files to be used. May be repeated multiple times for multiple list files if desired. -j jigdo_file Specify the location of the jigdo file to be used. May be repeated multiple times for multiple jigdo files, but it's better to use the "-J" option to point at a file containing a list of jigdo files instead. -k keyword Specify the "keywords" which are used in the jigdo files (e.g. Debian, Non-US, Ubuntu). -m mirror Specify the location of the mirror containing all the files needed. This must be on the same filesystem as the snapshot directory, as hard links will be used to create the snapshot efficiently. Options Optional arguments for both modes: -f fail_log If any files are required by the specific jigdo files but are not available in the mirror, list them in the output file fail_log for reference. -i ignore_list If any files are required by the specific jigdo files but are not available in the mirror, list them in the ignore_list file to supress errors about them. EXAMPLES
mkjigsnap -o /tmp/mjs-test -n mjs-test -m /tmp/mirror -j ~/jigdo/update/debian-update-3.0r2.01-i386.jigdo -t ~/jigdo/update/debian-update-3.0r2.01-i386.template -k Debian -k Non-US -d 20041017 This command is an example of single-jigdo mode, used for Ubuntu jigit generation. It creates a single jigit conf file using the supplied jigdo/template file pair, looking for jigdo references to files in the "Debian" and "Non-US" areas. Output the files into /tmp/mjs-test and call them "mjs-test.<ext>", creating a snapshot of the needed files in /tmp/mjs-test/20041017 by linking files from /tmp/mirror as needed. mkjigsnap -m /org/ftp/debian -J ~/jigdo.list -k Debian -d /org/jigdo-area/snapshot/Debian -f ~/mkjigsnap-failed.log -i ~/mkjigsnap-ignore.list This command is an example of multi-jigdo mode, as run to keep http://us.cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/snapshot/ up to date. This reads in all the jigdo files listed in ~/jigdo.list, building a list of all the files referenced in the "Debian" area. It will then attempt to build a snapshot tree of all those files under /org/jigdo-area/snapshot/Debian by linking from /org/ftp/debian. Any files that are missing will be listed into the output "missing" file ~/mkjigsnap-failed.log for later checking, UNLESS they are already listed in the "ignore" file ~/mkjigsnap-ignore.list. SEE ALSO
jigdo-file(1), jigit(1), jigdump(1) and mkimage(1). COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2004 - 2011 Steve McIntyre (steve@einval.com) mkjigsnap may be copied under the terms and conditions of version 2 of the GNU General Public License, as published by the Free Software Foundation (Cambridge, MA, USA). AUTHOR
Written by Steve McIntyre (steve@einval.com) Jigit jigdo tools September 2004 MKJIGSNAP(8)