Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Apt-get
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Apt-get Post 302978311 by bdittmar on Friday 29th of July 2016 02:20:30 AM
Old 07-29-2016
CENTOS - YUM !

Hello,
use YUM :

-------------
Code:
12.2. yum Commands

yum commands are typically run as yum <command> <package name/s>. 
By default, yum will automatically attempt to check all configured repositories 
to resolve all package dependencies during an installation/upgrade.

The following is a list of the most commonly-used yum commands. 
For a complete list of available yum commands, refer to man yum.

yum install <package name/s>

Used to install the latest version of a package or group of packages. 
If no package matches the specified package name(s), they are assumed to be a shell 
glob, and any matches are then installed.

yum update <package name/s>
Used to update the specified packages to the latest available version. 
If no package name/s are specified, then yum will attempt to update all installed packages.

If the --obsoletes option is used (i.e. yum --obsoletes <package name/s>, yum will process 
obsolete packages. As such, packages that are obsoleted accross updates will be removed and replaced accordingly.

yum check-update
This command allows you to determine whether any updates are available for your installed packages. 
yum returns a list of all package updates from all repositories if any are available.

yum remove <package name/s>
Used to remove specified packages, along with any other packages dependent on the packages being removed.

Regards

Last edited by bdittmar; 07-29-2016 at 03:25 AM.. Reason: Mod for better reading
This User Gave Thanks to bdittmar For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

apt-get craziness.....

I had mysql client installed, then I upgraded my version of perl using apt-get install. Now, I want to get mysql-client working again and when I try to install it, I get: /usr/bin# apt-get install mysql-client Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies: mysql-client: Depends:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: natter
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install

When I use apt-get install command, for example samba install, does that command then invokes search of entire disk to find samba packet or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt-get install error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

4. Debian

apt-get error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. step by step. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt vs aptitude little tutorial

Hi all I dont know if this is right place but I saw somewhere dd tutorial so I decidet to write a little tutorial about debian package manager. I hope this will clear some misundersands about it, maybe somewher i will be wrong or somebody could explain it better so any comments are welcomed. Many... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
3 Replies

6. Debian

apt-get problems on Wheezy

I am having some troubles with apt-get. I did an apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade. Some dependencies did not download, and so I had to do `apt-get -f install` to fix that. The thing is I get an error about /var/lib/dpkg/available root@hayek:~# apt-get -f install Reading package lists...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John Tate
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reinstall sudo apt-get?

I am using ubuntu11.10 and i was trying to do the update to 12.04, i found a post suggesting to use to solve part of the problem: sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-keyring sudo apt-get --yes -q --allow-unauthenticated install ubuntu-keyringI ran the first command but not able to run the second or any... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CS_NA
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Yum and apt-get

I know both yum and apt-get could update the package , could advise which one is better in Redhat server ? thanks Login ID ust3 is currently in read-only mode for multiple infractions. Creating new identities to avoid restrictions is not allowed. This thread is closed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust03
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install --purge

Hello, i would like to know what is the use of that command apt-get install --purgeI understand the use of --purge while using with remove parameter, but i don't get it when it's about installing. Enlight me please ! Thx ---------- Post updated 09-03-16 at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Purgator
0 Replies
yum-cron(8)															       yum-cron(8)

NAME
yum-cron - an interface to convieniently call yum from cron SYNOPSIS
yum-cron [config-file] DESCRIPTION
yum-cron is an alternate interface to yum that is optimised to be convenient to call from cron. It provides methods to keep repository metadata up to date, and to check for, download, and apply updates. Rather than accepting many different command line arguments, the dif- ferent functions of yum-cron can be accessed through config files. config-file is used to optionally specify the path to the configuration file to use. If it is not given, the default configuration file will be used. It is useful to be able to specify different configuration files for different use cases. For example, one configuration file might be set to update the repository metadata, and a line could be added to the crontab to run yum-cron frequently using this file. Then, another configuration file might be set to install updates, and yum-cron could be run from cron using this file just once each day. FILES
/etc/yum/yum-cron.conf /etc/yum/yum-cron-hourly.conf SEE ALSO
yum (8) AUTHORS
See the Authors file included with this program. BUGS
There of course aren't any bugs, but if you find any, you should email the mailing list, yum@lists.baseurl.org, or consult bugzilla. Nick Jacek yum-cron(8)