Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: True random numbers in Sol10
Operating Systems Solaris True random numbers in Sol10 Post 302978154 by jlliagre on Tuesday 26th of July 2016 06:10:38 PM
Old 07-26-2016
You are right, the manual pages are indeed similar. The point here is the recommendation to avoid /dev/random and /dev/urandom might be valid when using a cryptographic pseudo random number generator but not that much in the OP case, which is specifically about the UltraSPARC T2 and newer high-performance internal hardware random number generator. The latter bases its entropy on physical measurements, i.e. not purely software generated sequences so shouldn't suffer from rapid entropy exhaustion like its software counterpart.
See this last paragraph in Solaris random(7d) manual:
Quote:
/dev/random collects entropy from providers that are registered with the kernel-level cryptographic framework and implement random number generation routines. The cryptoadm(1M) utility allows an administrator to configure which providers will be used with /dev/random.
Other relevant manual pages are cryptoadm(1m) and n2rng(7d)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Random numbers without repetition

Is anyone know some scripts to generate random number without repetition using bash; for example generate 10 different random numbers. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asal_email
8 Replies

2. Programming

How to set constrain on random numbers in c

Hi, I am currently trying to generate multiple random numbers in C for different variable:- die1=1+(rand()%5); die2=1+(rand()%5); die3=1+(rand()%5); die4=1+(rand()%5); But I need to contrain the total of die1, die2,die3 and die4 to be 5 as well. If i insert die1+die2+die3+die4=5, i do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random numbers from 0 to 1000

Hello All, I want to make a simple script which generate random number from 0 to 1000. and simply display it. Plz HELP!!!!!! Regards, Waqas Ahmed (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakhan
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random Numbers - Perl

Hi Guys I have a script to find Ranomd numbers. But I want to make the file to produce more random. Could u guys help me plz. In this Script I have the code that generates random in for loop and the range I have specified in my %chromlength input and out put will be like this chrno start end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: repinementer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generating random numbers

Hi, I am having trouble with generating random numbers. can this be done with awk? So I have a file that looks like this: 23 30 24 40 26 34 So column1 is start and column2 is end. I want to generate 3 random #'s between start and stop: So the output will look like this: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
9 Replies

6. Programming

Random numbers in parent/child?

Hi I'm trying to generate random numbers both in parent process and the child process. But I get the same random number in both processes. Why doesn't it generate different numbers altough I seed random number generator? Here's my code: #include <stdio.h> #include <unistd.h> #include... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyzt
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Random float numbers in BASH

Hi people :) I'm learning shell scripting using bash and I want to generate 4 floating point number with 5 decimal places and write them to a file and a variable. I've done all this except the $RAMDOM enviroment variable does not generate a float number but a integrer. I hope you could... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharaoh
3 Replies

8. Programming

How to fill a memory with random numbers in C

Hi, I have a parametrized memory mem. I want to fill this memory with random numbers with respect to the data_width. can anyone help me on this.. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vdhingra123
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Random numbers

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! Write a shell script that will take the sum of two random number? Ex: Random n1 +Random n2 = result i tries to write it but i had some dufficulties ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: renegade755
3 Replies
IPSEC_RANBITS(8)						  [FIXME: manual]						  IPSEC_RANBITS(8)

NAME
ipsec_ranbits - generate random bits in ASCII form SYNOPSIS
ipsec ranbits [--quick] [--continuous] [--bytes] nbits DESCRIPTION
Ranbits obtains nbits (rounded up to the nearest byte) high-quality random bits from random(4), and emits them on standard output as an ASCII string. The default output format is datatot(3) h format: lowercase hexadecimal with a 0x prefix and an underscore every 32 bits. The --quick option produces quick-and-dirty random bits: instead of using the high-quality random bits from /dev/random, which may take some time to supply the necessary bits if nbits is large, ranbits uses /dev/urandom, which yields prompt results but lower-quality randomness. The --continuous option uses datatot(3) x output format, like h but without the underscores. The --bytes option causes nbits to be interpreted as a byte count rather than a bit count. FILES
/dev/random, /dev/urandom SEE ALSO
ipsec_datatot(3), random(4) HISTORY
Written for the Linux FreeS/WAN project <http://www.freeswan.org> by Henry Spencer. BUGS
There is an internal limit on nbits, currently 20000. Without --quick, ranbits's run time is difficult to predict. A request for a large number of bits, at a time when the system's entropy pool is low on randomness, may take quite a while to satisfy. Though not a bug of ranbits, the direct use of /dev/hw_random, the Linux hardware random number generator is not supported because it can produce very non-random data. To properly use /dev/hw_random, the rngd daemon should be used to read from /dev/hw_random and write to /dev/random, while performing a FIPS test on the hardware random read. No changes to Openswan are required for this support - just a running rngd. [FIXME: source] 10/06/2010 IPSEC_RANBITS(8)