Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep pattern only and surrounding lines Post 302978039 by rdrtx1 on Monday 25th of July 2016 01:34:43 PM
Old 07-25-2016
Code:
sed 's/.*\(hello[a-z]hello\).*/\1/' infile

Last edited by rdrtx1; 07-25-2016 at 02:45 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to rdrtx1 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can you show lines surrounding a search string?

I would like to be able to grep (or some such thing) a search argument and then display the line plus the preceding 3 lines of the file and the following 3 lines of the file. Any ideas? Thanks in advance! :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robster
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get surrounding lines of grep result

hi, if i have a file and i want to search for the word error using grep, i usually want to see the surrounding lines too as they contain info about the error. what would be a nice way to achieve this? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep with 8 lines before and after pattern.

OK. I have a file I'd like to be able to grep, but on top of returning the line where the pattern matches, I'd like to be able to get the previous 8 lines and the following 8 lines. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get surrounding lines of my grep search?

hi, if I grep a file, sometimes I want to see as an eg 2 lines above and below my grep results. how can this be done thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the above and below lines for the grep pattern.

Hi, i would like to get the above and below lines of the grep pattern . For ex : file as below: chk1- aaaa 1-Nov chk2 -aaaa ########## chk1-bbbbbb 1-Nov chk2-bbbbbb ######### my search pattern is date : 1-Nov i need the o/p as below chk1- aaaa 1-Nov (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Possible to grep string based on surrounding strings?

I was wondering if it was possible to grep a pattern based on the surround text. For example, if i have an input file like this: titleA titleB titlex titleC titleD titlex titleE And I want to grep "title" and save the results only if it is not followed with a "titlex". My output... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the word from pattern line and update in subsequent lines till next pattern line reached

Hi, I have got the below requirement. please suggest. I have a file like, Processing Item is: /data/ing/cfg2/abc.txt /data/ing/cfg3/bgc.txt Processing Item is: /data/cmd/for2/ght.txt /data/kernal/config.klgt.txt I want to process the above file to get the output file like, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep lines before a pattern having some other pattern

Hi All, I am trying to fetch lines before a pattern, I got to know about -B flag in grep but we have to pass the number to get those lines before some pattern say (X), now what if I want to get line/s with some other pattern say (Y) before X pattern? How to get about it? please help. Input:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep -v lines starting with pattern 1 and not matching pattern 2

Hi all! Thanks for taking the time to view this! I want to grep out all lines of a file that starts with pattern 1 but also does not match with the second pattern. Example: Drink a soda Eat a banana Eat multiple bananas Drink an apple juice Eat an apple Eat multiple apples I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep all lines with the pattern .sh

Linux version : Oracle Linux 6.5 Shell : bash In the the below text file (someString.text), I want to grep all lines with .sh in it. ie. Only the lines mysript.sh and anotherscript.sh should be returned. My below attempts failed. I gather that in regular expression world, dot (.) is the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep, egrep, fgrep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ] ... expression [ file ] ... egrep [ option ] ... [ expression ] [ file ] ... fgrep [ option ] ... [ strings ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Commands of the grep family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern. Normally, each line found is copied to the standard output; unless the -h flag is used, the file name is shown if there is more than one input file. Grep patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of ed(1); it uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm. Egrep patterns are full regular expressions; it uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space. Fgrep patterns are fixed strings; it is fast and compact. The following options are recognized. -v All lines but those matching are printed. -c Only a count of matching lines is printed. -l The names of files with matching lines are listed (once) separated by newlines. -n Each line is preceded by its line number in the file. -b Each line is preceded by the block number on which it was found. This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by con- text. -s No output is produced, only status. -h Do not print filename headers with output lines. -y Lower case letters in the pattern will also match upper case letters in the input (grep only). -e expression Same as a simple expression argument, but useful when the expression begins with a -. -f file The regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) is taken from the file. -x (Exact) only lines matched in their entirety are printed (fgrep only). Care should be taken when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ? ' " ( ) and in the expression as they are also meaningful to the Shell. It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '. Fgrep searches for lines that contain one of the (newline-separated) strings. Egrep accepts extended regular expressions. In the following description `character' excludes newline: A followed by a single character matches that character. The character ^ ($) matches the beginning (end) of a line. A . matches any character. A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character. A string enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string. Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated as in `a-z0-9'. A ] may occur only as the first character of the string. A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken as a range indicator. A regular expression followed by * (+, ?) matches a sequence of 0 or more (1 or more, 0 or 1) matches of the regular expression. Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second. Two regular expressions separated by | or newline match either a match for the first or a match for the second. A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression. The order of precedence of operators at the same parenthesis level is [] then *+? then concatenation then | and newline. SEE ALSO
ed(1), sed(1), sh(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files. BUGS
Ideally there should be only one grep, but we don't know a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated. GREP(1)