Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching for pattern in variable using case statements Post 302977953 by drl on Sunday 24th of July 2016 01:25:12 PM
Old 07-24-2016
Hi.

It would probably be useful if you were to tell us which items the different platforms had in common: bash, ksh, zsh, awk, perl, grep, etc.

Here's a solution using an array, loop, and case:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate shell array with case selector.

# Utility functions: print-as-echo, print-line-with-visual-space, debug.
# export PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin"
LC_ALL=C ; LANG=C ; export LC_ALL LANG
pe() { for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }
db() { : ; }
db() { ( printf " db, ";for _i;do printf "%s" "$_i";done;printf "\n" ) >&2 ; }
C=$HOME/bin/context && [ -f $C ] && $C

v1="gine is very bad
vine is pretty good"

pl " Input data variable, piped into cat:"
echo "$v1" | cat -n

pl " Input data array with printf:"
declare -a a1="$v1"
printf "%s\n" "${a1[*]}"

pl " Looking through each element in the array:"
IFS=$'\n'
for line in ${a1[*]}
do
  db " Working on line [$line]"
  case $line in
  (*vine*)      echo " HIT! Found vine." ;;
  esac
done

exit 0

producing:
Code:
$ ./s1

Environment: LC_ALL = C, LANG = C
(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
OS, ker|rel, machine: Linux, 3.16.0-4-amd64, x86_64
Distribution        : Debian 8.4 (jessie) 
bash GNU bash 4.3.30

-----
 Input data variable, piped into cat:
     1  gine is very bad
     2  vine is pretty good

-----
 Input data array with printf:
gine is very bad
vine is pretty good

-----
 Looking through each element in the array:
 db,  Working on line [gine is very bad]
 db,  Working on line [vine is pretty good]
 HIT! Found vine.

See man bash, etc. for details.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern searching inside Variable - not looking at files

Hi, I've searched this site and not found this already, so if I missed on my search, sorry. I need to pass in a variable to a script, where the first three characters of that variable represent a calendar quarter, and the last 2 characters are the year. I.E. Q0105 for Q1, Q0205 for Q2, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rediranch
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case statements

i need to use a case statement to do something when the user enters nothing at the prompt. i know about the if statement and that isnt' what i'm interested in using for this. i want to use case. heres the scenerio. a program asks a user for an input. i want to use a case statement to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Terrible
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Major Awk problems (Searching, If statements, transposing etc.)

Please bare with me as task is very detailed and I'm extremely new to Awk/sed. Keep in mind I'm running windows so I'm using a dos prompt The attachment is a server report that I'm trying to manipulate with little success. For each server, I need to take the most recent information about them... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blivo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with my case statements

Hi there, Im having some problems with this function, I pass two arguments to the function $1 $2 (Arguments are month and date inputted by the user) for some reason the case always fails... however in the cases defined below where it shouldnt fail the result is: if it fails with input... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Darklight
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert value in a variable from upper case to lower case

Hi, I have a variable $Ctrcd which contains country names in upper case and i want to convert them into lower case. I have tried so many solutions from already existing threads but couldn't get the correct one. Can anybody help me with this..... Thanks a lot.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manmeet
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to combine case statements

Hi, I need to change military time to regular time. I know to use case to indicate whether a.m. or p.m. as follows: case "$hour" in 0? | 1 ) echo a.m.;; 1 ) echo p.m.;; * ) echo p.m.;; esac My question is how do I add the hour and minute... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karp3158
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to exit from case statements

Hi all, I wrote the following simple shell script to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. In the below program, i am not able to exit from the script Shell Script ----------- #!/bin/sh bgcal() { cal="" echo "Enter the Option Number: \c" read cal if then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxpassion
3 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Case statements and creating a file database

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The assignment is posted below: Maintain automobile records in a database Write a shell script to create,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boltftw
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore case in awk while pattern searching

Hi , I have the file where i have to search for the pattern. The pattern may be lower case or upper case or camel case. Basically I want to ignore while searching the pattern in awk. awk '/error|warning/exception/' filename Please help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to case statements from if/elif

Hello, I wrote the case on code but it mistakes. I am not sure. If/elif code: #!/bin/ksh you=$LOGNAME hour=`date | awk '{print substr($4, 1, 2)}'` print "The time is: $(date)" if (( hour > 0 && $hour < 12 )) then print "Good morning, $you!" elif (( hour == 12 )) then (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Masterpoker
7 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/ksh93 /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/ksh93 /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/sfw/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. NOTES
Restricted shells should not be listed in /etc/shells. SunOS 5.11 1 Nov 2007 getusershell(3C)