Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting More efficient for loop on files Post 302977907 by SkySmart on Saturday 23rd of July 2016 12:56:01 PM
Old 07-23-2016
More efficient for loop on files

is there a more efficient way to write the following code:

Code:
                        for eachlfile in $(ls -ltcrd ${BACKUPDIR}/${BACKUPNAME}*/content_${BACKUPNAME}* 2>/dev/null | awk '{print $NF}')
                        do
                                echo "=========================="
                                echo ${eachlfile} | awk -F"__" '{print $NF}'
                                echo "=========================="
                                cat ${eachlfile}
                        done

i want to be able to run this on AIX, SunOS and LInux systems. So the solution should be portable.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a more efficient way?

I'm using korn shell to connect to oracle, retrieve certain values, put them in a list, and iterate through them. While this method works, I can't help but think there is an easier method. If you know of one, please suggest a shorter, more efficient method. ############### FUNCTIONS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SelectSplat
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you suggest a more efficient way for this?

Hi I have the following at the end of a service shutdown script used in part of an active-passive failover setup: ### # Shutdown all primary Network Interfaces # associated with failover ### # get interface names based on IP's # and shut them down to simulate loss of # heartbeatd ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there an efficient way in finding and deleting files?

Hi I have a script to find and delete the files which are say, noDaysOld, I am interested to find the number of such files I am fniding for deleting and then deleting it. So, the script I wrote, first finds the number of such files and then deletes, clearly this is two different steps. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

4. AIX

Efficient coding / Alternates for "For" loop

Hi, I have the current script with the following code and it works ok. for i in `find . -name "???ABCEDFGH*"` do SESS_NO=`echo $i | awk -F "." '{print $3}'` rm -f $LOGDIR/${OT_QUEUEID}*${SESS_NO}.log 2>/dev/null rm -f $i 2>/dev/null done I want to remove the usage of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
2 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help to make awk script more efficient for large files

Hello, Error awk: Internal software error in the tostring function on TS1101?05044400?.0085498227?0?.0011041461?.0034752266?.00397045?0?0?0?0?0?0?11/02/10?09/23/10???10?no??0??no?sct_det3_10_20110516_143936.txt What it is It is a unix shell script that contains an awk program as well as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log entries in log files with no Date format? - Efficient logcheck?

is there a way to efficiently monitor logfiles that do not have a date or time format? i have several logs on several different servers that need to be monitored. but i realized writing a script for this would be very complex and time consuming giving the variety of things i need to check for i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort and compare files in more efficient manner?

Hello All, Iam using below method to sort and compare files. First iam doing sorting and changing the same file and then doing comparing and taking the final result to another file. sort -o temp.txt file1 mv temp.txt file1 sort -o temp.txt file2 mv temp.txt file2 sort -o temp.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vikram_Tanwar12
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Most efficient method to extract values from text files

I have a list of files defined in a single file , one on each line.(No.of files may wary each time) eg. content of ETL_LOOKUP.dat /data/project/randomname /data/project/ramname /data/project/raname /data/project/radomname /data/project/raame /data/project/andomname size of these... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0x0r21
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Moving files from parent path to multiple child path using bash in efficient way

Hi All, Can you please provide some pointers to move files from Base path to multiple paths in efficient way.Folder Structure is already created. /Path/AdminUser/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt to /Path/User1/1111/Reports/aaa.txt /Path/AdminUser/User1/2222/Reports/bbb.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikgv417
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient way to loop through list

i have a variable that contains a list of files: varA="/var/tmp/hello_0_myapp /var/tmp/mello_1_myapp /var/tmp/jello_2_myapp /var/tmp/fello_3_myapp" And i'm calling this variable in several functions: col0 () { FILE=$(echo "${varA}" | egrep "_0_myapp" | sed "s~_0_myapp~~g")... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)