Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting text file Post 302977902 by rovf on Saturday 23rd of July 2016 08:04:03 AM
Old 07-23-2016
If I remember right, you had spaces in your original posting, but anyway: Once you have the output fields, it is up to you how many spaces you insert.

Plus, as the moderator noted, it is nearly impossible to discuss a topic where the previous entries are modified. Things are so messed up, that I suggest that you start a completely new thread, post the code you are using so far, and ask whatever needs to be asked.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

text file formatting by perl

have a simple text file as input.i have to print that file in paragraph format.whenevr it finds "\n" in the input text it should start printing in next paragraph in output file.also a fixed amount of space should be given before start writing in every paragraph. the input and output file format... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: avik1983
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file based on newline and delimiter characters

Hi Everybody, I need some help on formatting the files coming into unix box on the fly. I get a file some thing like this in a single line. ISA^M00^M ^M00^M ^M14^M006929681900 ^M01^M095449419 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntekupal
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text file formatting

Hi all! I'm new in unix, and faced with some difficulties. So I have text file f.e. "textfile" which contains rows like: aaa bbb ccc ddd How could I format it, so the file looks like: aaabbb cccddd Thanks in andvance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: consta.v
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

formatting of the text file

Hi Guys, I have a file with contents in the below format DO_VJ_IDOC;03.23.2009;22:31:09; ZJDO_VJ_IDOC;03.23.2009;22:46:14; ZJDO_RESEND_FAILURES;03.24.2009;01:46:18; Now i need to replace the semicolons with tabs for which i am usig the sed command which gives the O/p as below ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit.shetty84
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file to get data in exact line by line

I have my data something like this SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE NETPROTOCOL 1947430693 07/01/2009 05:16:40 FR SERIAL FIRSTOCCURRENCE NETPROTOCOL 1947430746 07/01/2009 05:18:05 FR I want the output as follows.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting text file in unix

Hi, I am using the following format command for formatting my text file in unix. awk -F":" '{ printf "%-50s%-1s%-50s\n", $1,":", $2}' filename > targetfile The target file is then sent as an attachment via email. When I view the target file in notepad multiple lines get spanned as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AAA
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the text file using shell script

How to add the filename to end of each line with | as seperator, except first and last line of the file(s) in directories(with diff tree structure) using shell script?. And also how to replace a list of strings with another set of strings, which is present in a file?. Kindly help out on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing and Formatting the text file

hi, I need a script which can format the below text file which contains comments file1.txt -------- //START //Name: some value //Date: //Changes:............. //..................... //END //START //Date: //Name: some value //Changes:............. //..................... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flamingo_l
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Formatting the text file

Hi All, I ahve requirement where I want to put the text file in into proper format. I am wondering how can i achieve that:- Host/Alias Name IP Address Resolved sinuiy01.infra.go2uti.com 10.240.8.158 N sinuid20.devtst.go2uti.com 10.240.8.230 N sinuid21.devtst.go2uti.com... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a text file

Hi All :), I have a formatting question and I am unsure on how I should proceed with my bash shell script. I am unsure weather to use perl or simply edit it in bash. I prefer bash but I am only aware of the awk utility to extract parts of a file, not edit output. Scenario: I have a file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstrizzy
5 Replies
CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)

NAME
chronicle-spooler - Automatically post pre-written entries. SYNOPSIS
Path Options: --config Specify a configuration file to read. --spool-dir Specify where pending entries are located. --live-dir Specify where the entries should be moved to. Post-Spool Commands: --post-move Specify a command to execute once entries have been moved. Optional Features: --test Only report on what would be executed. Help Options: --help Show the help information for this script. --manual Read the manual for this script. ABOUT
chronicle-spooler is a companion scrip to the chronicle blog compiler. It is designed to facilitate posting new entries automatically upon particular dates. (ie. If you have ten written blog entries in a spool directory it will move them into place upon the date you've specified.) DATE SPECIFICATION
To specify the date a particular entry should be made live you must add another pseudo-header to your blog entry files, as follows: Title: This is the title of the blog post Date: 2nd March 2007 Publish: 15th April 2008 Tags: one, two, three, long tag The text of your entry goes here. In this example we know that this entry will be made live upon the 15th April 2008, and not before. AUTHOR
Steve -- http://www.steve.org.uk/ LICENSE
Copyright (c) 2008-2010 by Steve Kemp. All rights reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The LICENSE file contains the full text of the license. perl v5.12.3 2011-05-03 CHRONICLE-SPOOLER(1)