Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Expect in Bash - and then compare md5sum Post 302977871 by Don Cragun on Friday 22nd of July 2016 04:03:33 PM
Old 07-22-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by xgringo
I don't need to check connectivity but if config files are the same in certain directories. I am also not trying to sync them exactly the config files will have different IP addresses in them and different database names, this is why I can't just use rsync but was trying to hash something out that would tell me if they are different and list out the differences through making a couple of files and then doing a compare. Perhaps rsync will do this but I didn't think so.
So the script that you are hoping to create just gives you a list of files that need to be investigated further; it doesn't sync files. Isn't that exactly what:
Code:
rsync -n ... list_of_config_files_in_certain_directories ...

does?

The first time through it is likely to give you lots of false positives due to timestamp differences. But if you use rsync to synchronize those false positives (to sync the timestamps) and files that really need to be synced, subsequent runs should give you a greatly reduced list of files on which you actually need to perform your detailed md5sum checks.

And, obviously, if there are intentional IP and database name differences in some of your config files, md5sum isn't going to help you determine if there are also other differences in those files that shouldn't be present or that should cause a more complicated partial sync.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

expect in bash script

Hi, I'm writing a shell script that calls a few commands that prompt the user for two simple yes/no questions. if the answers are consistent (the first is a yes, the second is a no), what would my expect script look like? Google is only giving me answers for scripts where I telnet or ssh. right now... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: js741
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect in bash to get the return value

cat test.sh #!/bin/sh expect <<- EOF set timeout 5 spawn ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no lyang0@128.224.178.245 -C mkdir -p /tmp expect { "Password:" {send "root\r"} } spawn scp -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no /tmp/1 lyang0@128.224.178.245:/tmp/ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files in directories with md5sum

And not to start. I can compare files, that's easy. The problem is that I compare files in a directory, and check if these files exist in another directory. The problem is that the file names are not the same. So I have to compare with "md5sum" or something similar. How I can do? All this in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jomeaide
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect - bash and variables

I was wondering if anyone could provide some assistance. I trying to run an expect script within bash and get the results of a variable called RESULT. I Have tried a few things but none of them have worked. I know that the child process (the expect script) in this instance cannot set a variable... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ylafont
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with expect and sftp in bash

I'm having trouble with some automated sftp pulls. I'm using expect inside bash scripts and spawning SFTP. Some times the expect seems bog down. I have tried to put sleeps in my code to give everything time to work before I move on to next step but I till continue to get issues. For example when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gosteen
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare md5sum two servers' setup

I'm trying to think of a way to compare two boxes and make sure their files will be the same. There may be extra files on one side and some on the other. I also need to make sure the file content is identical. So far I've gotten this to create a file find /directorypath/ -type f -name... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xgringo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script with expect

Dear all Hi I want use expect in bash so that we can not use these with each other /bin/bash. With. /usr/bin/expect How can use these with on script or how can call a script from other script #!/bin/bash clear echo "================================== " echo "Enter your Esxi IP"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Baber
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash expect problem

Hey there :) I have a Bash Script and I'm trying to update Roundcube, but theres a user interactive line like: bin/installto.sh /var/www/mail/rc Upgrading from 1.1.3. Do you want to continue? (y/N) I'm trying to avoid this user interaction like this: cd roundcubemail-1.2.1 >/dev/null... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aeris
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two md5sum

Hello, First of all I want to apologize because i'm not a admin or coder and maybe all my efforts to write only this small script in my life would need one week full time reading man pages and forums but... I don't have the money to offer me to get this time and the script I want to do seems... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: toscan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bash script + expect

im very happy to back for this forum I have servers with alias of double dns extentions: sample: servera.test.com servera.test1.com serverb.test.com serverb.test1.com I need to login to that severs and executing the set of commands if test.com failed then try to login via... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash0106
0 Replies
SSH-COPY-ID(1)						      General Commands Manual						    SSH-COPY-ID(1)

NAME
ssh-copy-id - install your public key in a remote machine's authorized_keys SYNOPSIS
ssh-copy-id [-i [identity_file]] [user@]machine DESCRIPTION
ssh-copy-id is a script that uses ssh to log into a remote machine and append the indicated identity file to that machine's ~/.ssh/autho- rized_keys file. If the -i option is given then the identity file (defaults to ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) is used, regardless of whether there are any keys in your ssh-agent. Otherwise, if this: ssh-add -L provides any output, it uses that in preference to the identity file. If the -i option is used, or the ssh-add produced no output, then it uses the contents of the identity file. Once it has one or more fin- gerprints (by whatever means) it uses ssh to append them to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine (creating the file, and directory, if necessary.) NOTES
This program does not modify the permissions of any pre-existing files or directories. Therefore, if the remote sshd has StrictModes set in its configuration, then the user's home, ~/.ssh folder, and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file may need to have group writability disabled manu- ally, e.g. via chmod go-w ~ ~/.ssh ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. SEE ALSO
ssh(1), ssh-agent(1), sshd(8) OpenSSH 14 November 1999 SSH-COPY-ID(1)