Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to execute command present config file? Post 302977862 by MadeInGermany on Friday 22nd of July 2016 03:02:27 PM
Old 07-22-2016
It is not a bit strange to assume external resources in the config file.
E.g. use $line, hoping that $line exists in the calling script.
If you really want that, you should put the per-line code in a function
Code:
file="/home/CSV/data.csv"file="bad"
badfile="/home/CSV/bad/"
runcode(){
num_fields=`echo "$line" | awk -F'|' '{print NF}'`
field1=`echo "$line" | awk -F'|' '{print $1}'`
}

and
Code:
. ./config.cfg
while IFS= read -r line
do
        runcode
        echo $num_fields
        echo "$field1"
done <"$file"

---------- Post updated at 14:02 ---------- Previous update was at 13:26 ----------

@rbatte1, the shell split differs from awk: a last empty field is not counted, $num_fields differs then.
Further, your code needs the delimiter
Code:
   IFS="|" my_array=($line)

and protection from argument expansion with
Code:
set -f

If the positional parameters can be used then there is no need for an array, and this works even with old Bourne shells
Code:
set -f
oIFS=$IFS; IFS="|"
while read -r line
do
   set -- $line
   echo "number of fields $#"
   echo "First field $1"
done <"$file"
set +f
IFS=$oIFS

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to execute a remote file with local command

Hello, I know this is somewhat strange, but please let me know if possible. I want to execute a program file in the remote machine with command on the local machine. Let me make things more clear. Suppose I have a cc on my local system and do not have that on the remote system. I want to use... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Veera_Raghav
2 Replies

2. Programming

Assign a command to execute a file

Hi all, I want to assign a command name to a file.e.g. suppose I have a .sh file "xyz.sh". I want to execute the file by typing in "abc". The desired output is: $ abc should execute the "xyz.sh" file. Kind Regards, Qasim (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: qasim
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to parse Apache config file

Hi there, am trying to parse an Apache 'server' config file. A snippet of the config file is shown below: ..... ProxyPassReverse /foo http://foo.example.com/bar ..... ..... RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://www.example.com/$1 RewriteRule /redirect https://www.example1.com/$1 ........ (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jy2k7ca
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing config file to create new config files

Hi, I want to use a config file as the base file and parse over the values of country and city parameters in the config file and generate separate config files as explained below. I will be using the config file as mentioned below: (config.txt) country:a,b city:1,2 type:b1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clazzic
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs 1)actual config file 2)report

Hi I am new to shell scripting. There is a requirement to write a shell script to meet follwing needs.Prompt reply shall be highly appreciated. script that will compare two config files and produce 2 outputs - actual config file and a report indicating changes made. OS :Susi linux ver 10.3. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take the value of variable from a file and execute a command for each value

Hello Experts, I would like to know the best way to assign a value to variable from a given file and execute a command including this variable for each entry from the file. to be more clear, i have a file with different lines (each line with a different value). i want to substitute the variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dendany83
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find specific file names and execute a command depending on file's name

Hi, As a newbie, I'm desperate ro make my shell script work. I'd like a script which checks all the files in a directory, check the file name, if the file name ends with "extracted", store it in a variable, if it has a suffix of ".roi" stores in another variable. I'm going to use these two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: armando110
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to execute a program present on another server using SFTP in perl

Hi, I want to execute a program which is present on another server. i want to use SFTP in perl, is it possible? how ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anandgodse
1 Replies

9. Solaris

how to execute shell script present in unix machine remotely from windows

how to execute shell script present in unix machine remotely from windows? I having a shell script in my unix machine, need to execute the script remotely from my windows machine using Visual Basic or VBA macros. Thanks In Advance. --Suresh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshmani
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file

Hi, file1.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD file2.txt abc|AAA|AAAabcbcs|fnwufnq bca|nwruqf|AAA|fwfwwefwef fmimwe|BBB|fnqwufw|wufbqw wcdbi|CCC|wefnwin|wfwwf DDD|wabvfav|wqef|fwbwqfwfe i need the count of rows of file1.txt present in the file2.txt required output: AAA 2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies
PROCESSCSV.PY(1)					      Virtualization Support						  PROCESSCSV.PY(1)

NAME
processcsv.py - process virt-top CSV files SUMMARY
virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv DESCRIPTION
virt-top is a top(1)-like utility for showing stats of virtualized domains. processcsv.py is a simple Python script that post-processes the output of "virt-top --csv". It is used like this: virt-top --csv data.csv processcsv.py < data.csv The second command will overwrite the following files in the current directory: "global.csv" This contains the global (host) statistics columns from the CSV file. "domainNN.csv" (multiple files) For each libvirt domain ID NN, a file is created containing the per-domain statistics from the CSV file. SEE ALSO
virt-top(1) AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones <rjones @ redhat . com> COPYRIGHT
(C) Copyright 2007-2012 Red Hat Inc., Richard W.M. Jones http://libvirt.org/ This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA. virt-top-1.0.8 2013-12-29 PROCESSCSV.PY(1)