Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a string in a file which is also present in another file in UNIX Post 302977814 by raj028 on Friday 22nd of July 2016 08:16:14 AM
Old 07-22-2016
Hi zaxxon,

thanks for your tips on formatting.

I didn't tried as i am new to unix.

I am just familiar with the commands, but not the scripting.

Thanks for understanding.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search a word in a file present in tar file

i need to search a word in the tar file. if it is present just give me the file name please help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: junkbuster
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix search a string in the text file

File name : Sample.txt Actually i would like to read <schema>Oracle<schema> string from input file and return only once database as my output. Please advise me. Moved to appropriate forum. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balajikalai
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need unix commands to delete records from one file if the same record present in another file...

Need unix commands to delete records from one file if the same record present in another file... just like join ... if the record present in both files.. delete from first file or delete the particular record and write the unmatched records to new file.. tried with grep and while... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: msathees
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX shell script to search a string in a file

Hi folks, I am new for shell script, I hope somebody to help me to write shell script My requirement is below steps 1. I have apache access.log i.e located in /var/log/httpd/ Ex. 127.0.0.1 - - "GET... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chenchireddy
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Scripting help to input string and search a file to find

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 12ic11
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi everyone, I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input within a file I know will have to use the read and grep commands, anyone can give me somewhere to start would help Task: Write a script to display which volume pool a given... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hi Don, this is not homework question. I work for a Credit card company and my development goal this year is to learn Unix. I would love if others can help me get started, thanks. Hi everyone I am new to Unix and need help writing a script that can ask user for an input, then search that input... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX command to ignore replacing a search string if it is already present

Hello, I am searching the following string Folder^ in a file and replacing it with Folder^/ However if the file already contains Folder^/ I want to avoid replacing it with Folder^// To do this I have to do the following today: 1) echo "Folder^" | sed 's/Folder\^/Folder\^\//g' I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mehimadri12
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
GIT-PACK-REFS(1)						    Git Manual							  GIT-PACK-REFS(1)

NAME
git-pack-refs - Pack heads and tags for efficient repository access SYNOPSIS
git pack-refs [--all] [--no-prune] DESCRIPTION
Traditionally, tips of branches and tags (collectively known as refs) were stored one file per ref in a (sub)directory under $GIT_DIR/refs directory. While many branch tips tend to be updated often, most tags and some branch tips are never updated. When a repository has hundreds or thousands of tags, this one-file-per-ref format both wastes storage and hurts performance. This command is used to solve the storage and performance problem by storing the refs in a single file, $GIT_DIR/packed-refs. When a ref is missing from the traditional $GIT_DIR/refs directory hierarchy, it is looked up in this file and used if found. Subsequent updates to branches always create new files under $GIT_DIR/refs directory hierarchy. A recommended practice to deal with a repository with too many refs is to pack its refs with --all once, and occasionally run git pack-refs. Tags are by definition stationary and are not expected to change. Branch heads will be packed with the initial pack-refs --all, but only the currently active branch heads will become unpacked, and the next pack-refs (without --all) will leave them unpacked. OPTIONS
--all The command by default packs all tags and refs that are already packed, and leaves other refs alone. This is because branches are expected to be actively developed and packing their tips does not help performance. This option causes branch tips to be packed as well. Useful for a repository with many branches of historical interests. --no-prune The command usually removes loose refs under $GIT_DIR/refs hierarchy after packing them. This option tells it not to. BUGS
Older documentation written before the packed-refs mechanism was introduced may still say things like ".git/refs/heads/<branch> file exists" when it means "branch <branch> exists". GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.8.5.3 01/14/2014 GIT-PACK-REFS(1)