Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Linux shell | how to exit a script if any command fails. Post 302977706 by zaxxon on Thursday 21st of July 2016 09:03:58 AM
Old 07-21-2016
You could also check if the command gives a return code with the value stored in the variable $? after executing it. Maybe dirshell can pass it through from the command it executed. Maybe in the man page for it there is some info.
If this is not possible, you could also try parsing the text output of the command with a test or grep, if there was an error or not.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using exit command in a shell script

Can it be done? If so, how? I would like a script to contain the exit command, and log me off at script completion. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpprial
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print error and exit if command fails?

Guys any tips on printing a certain error message to stderr and exiting should a command fail within a ksh script? I'm trying to null some output files. Touch isn't suitable as i need to null them. print "" > file isn't suitable as i need to check elsehere for if they are 0bytes or not. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavascript
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in exit status of the command in a shell script-FTP

Hi All, I have developed below script for FTP a file from unix machine to another machine. ftpToABC () { USER='xyz' PASSWD='abc' echo "open xx.yy.zbx.aaa user $USER $PASSWD binary echo "put $1 abc.txt" >> /home/tmp/ftp.$$ echo "quit" >> /home/tmp/ftp.$$ ftp -ivn <... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help! command working ok when executed in command line, but fails when run inside a script!

Hi everyone, when executing this command in unix: echo "WM7 Fatal Alerts:", $(cat query1.txt) > a.csvIt works fine, but running this command in a shell script gives an error saying that there's a syntax error. here is content of my script: tdbsrvr$ vi hc.sh "hc.sh" 22 lines, 509... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4dirk1
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

store last command exit status in variable in shell script

Hello All My req is to store the exit status of a command in shell variable I want to check whether the file has header or not The header will contain the string DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID So I am running the command head -1 $i | grep DATA_ACQ_CYC_CNTL_ID Now I have to check if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit a shell script if a unix command does not return any value for 10 seconds?

Hi, Can anyone help me how to exit a shell script if a unix command inside does not return any value for 10 seconds? The scenarios is like this. I want to login to a application using shell script where the connection string is mentioned.but suppose this connection string is not... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to exit from shell script if above condition fails?

HI cd ${back_home} if above back_home does not exist, then script shoul exit. Please let us know how to do that (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: buzzme
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing 'exit' command from shell script

Hi, I am writing shell script to automate few use cases for CLI interface. We have CLI interface which has bunch of commands. I am trying to execute one of the commands 'exit' as part of automation to exit from CLI object (not from shell script) in my shell script. My intension is to execute... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mahesh Desai
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find command works on Linux but fails on Solaris.

Hi, I am looking for a generic find command that works on both Linux and Solaris. I have the below command that works fine on Linux but fails on solaris.find /web/config -type f '(' -name '*.txt' -or -name '*.xml' -name '*.pro' ')' Fails on SunOS mysolaris 5.10 Generic_150400-61 sun4v sparc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string works on command-line but fails when run from shell script

I wish to replace "\\n" with a single white space. The below does the job on command-line: $ echo '/fin/app/scripts\\n/fin/app/01/sql' | sed -e 's#\\\\n# #g'; /fin/app/scripts /fin/app/01/sql However, when i have the same code to a shell script it is not able to get me the same output:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
8 Replies
tk_messageBox(n)					       Tk Built-In Commands						  tk_messageBox(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
tk_messageBox - pops up a message window and waits for user response. SYNOPSIS
tk_messageBox ?option value ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This procedure creates and displays a message window with an application-specified message, an icon and a set of buttons. Each of the but- tons in the message window is identified by a unique symbolic name (see the -type options). After the message window is popped up, tk_mes- sageBox waits for the user to select one of the buttons. Then it returns the symbolic name of the selected button. The following option-value pairs are supported: -default name Name gives the symbolic name of the default button for this message window ( "ok", "cancel", and so on). See -type for a list of the symbolic names. If this option is not specified, the first button in the dialog will be made the default. -detail string Specifies an auxiliary message to the main message given by the -message option. Where supported by the underlying OS, the message | detail will be presented in a less emphasized font than the main message. -icon iconImage Specifies an icon to display. IconImage must be one of the following: error, info, question or warning. If this option is not speci- fied, then the info icon will be displayed. -message string Specifies the message to display in this message box. -parent window Makes window the logical parent of the message box. The message box is displayed on top of its parent window. -title titleString Specifies a string to display as the title of the message box. The default value is an empty string. -type predefinedType Arranges for a predefined set of buttons to be displayed. The following values are possible for predefinedType: abortretryignore Displays three buttons whose symbolic names are abort, retry and ignore. ok Displays one button whose symbolic name is ok. okcancel Displays two buttons whose symbolic names are ok and cancel. retrycancel Displays two buttons whose symbolic names are retry and cancel. yesno Displays two buttons whose symbolic names are yes and no. yesnocancel Displays three buttons whose symbolic names are yes, no and cancel. EXAMPLE
set answer [tk_messageBox -message "Really quit?" -icon question -type yesno -detail "Select "Yes" to make the application exit"] switch -- $answer { yes exit no {tk_messageBox -message "I know you like this application!" -type ok} } KEYWORDS
message box Tk 4.2 tk_messageBox(n)