Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: One liners, quick rant...
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? One liners, quick rant... Post 302977499 by Neo on Tuesday 19th of July 2016 07:18:33 AM
Old 07-19-2016
Yeah... my view is that if you want (generally) "one liner" for a more complex task or expression, but it in a file and save it; and execute the script.

Of course, to each his own, and I'm not saying others should not be creative; I'm only saying that my experience is that I have so much code to manage, some from 10 years ago, and "elegant" or "fancy" one liners are hard to understand years after writing them, at least for me.

Anyway, I'm always going back and looking a legacy HTML and PHP and other admin scripts for this site and all the backup sites, etc. I try to keep is very clean, easy to understand, because with a site like this; you could be out have wine with friends and need to come back to the desk to fix a problem!

But I still use the unix pipeline for command line tasks, but nothing fancy or that I would keep for sysadmin.

Anyway, maybe I misunderstood the post or the intention here... which is possible since I have been coding like crazy lately!!

LOL

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I rant?

First of all, apologies to the admins for not reading the rules totally and missing the bit about ranting off about other OSs. But that raises a question. Where do you go to have a good rant, to vent your disgust at various corporations and thier hideous behaviour? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u6ik
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - one liners

Guys, I have a requirement like this. A file has >5K records always. Separated by "|", it has 30 fields for each line. In some lines, I am getting an odd field. say, the 15th field is supposed to be 2 characters but comes in as >2. In this case, for resolving this I need to copy the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Those simple one liners

I wanted to say LOL and punch my face when I saw post#11 (where Don_Cragun even reduced the string manipulation with a simple regex) in the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/220553-add-0-start-filename-2.html I mean, when things can be done with just a one liner, sometimes I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

A rant...

Hi guys... (Apologies for any typos etc...) This is basically a rant. I have been doing kids level projects and writing code to suit since around 1982, for the uProfessor, for the Sinclair Spectrum and later for the QL, IBM-XT in MS-DOS and after that for a 386DX40 up to Windows 95, until I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
SYSADMIN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SYSADMIN(1)

NAME
sysadmin - responsible for everything imaginable that may or may not have to do with the system you're using. Contraction of "system" and "administrator" SYNOPSIS
sysadmin [-ab] [-cd] [-ef] etc...... DESCRIPTION
sysadmin takes care of everything, is generally harangued, must be supplied with coffee, chocolate, and alcohol in order to function prop- erly, cannot be exposed to direct sunlight, and must not be allowed to have a life. sysadmin is not intended as a user interface routine; other programs provide user-friendly front ends; sysadmin is used by everyone who can track him [her] down. With no flags, sysadmin reads its standard input up to an EOF, or a line which sysadmin wishes to parse, and then proceeds to ignore it entirely and read news all day. When invoked with the -w option, sysadmin reads standard input and responds according to terms of job description. OPTIONS
-bofh Go into Bastard Operator From Hell mode. This option causes sysadmin to use tools stored in the /usr/lib/bofh directory to parse the standard input and route user tasks appropriately. -cd causes sysadmin to become caffeine-deprived, resulting in system slowdowns. -b causes the sysadmin to function normally while augmenting the standard input with beer(5). Can be used with the -t option as well, depending upon which version of sysadmin you are running. -t causes the sysadmin to smoke tobacco, which can result in significant performance improvement, provided you are running the correct version of sysadmin. -Cfile Specify an alternate configuration file (sysadmin.cf is the standard). -dX set debuggin value to X. -fFullname Set the full name of the sysadmin. -Bf Create the sysadmin.cf configuration freeze file. -lname Sets the name of the "luser" person (that is, originator of a given request). -l can only be used by "trusted" users (who are listed in sysadmin.cf). NOTES
The -t option should not be used with a version of sysadmin which is not capable of parsing tobacco input. Though the functionality of this command may seem similar to the -b option, it should not be confused with that or the related -c option. 25 September 1995 SYSADMIN(1)