Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable Assignment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable Assignment Post 302977456 by Ivo Breeden on Monday 18th of July 2016 05:08:57 PM
Old 07-18-2016
Scrutinizer is right when he says: "the assignment ( var=pattern* is the same as var="pattern*" )". It can be tested by adding quotes around the argument of echo:
Code:
abcversion=abc*
echo "$abcversion"

abc*

To activate wildcard expansion you should use an assignment like this:
Code:
abcversion=$(ls abc*)
echo "$abcversion"

abcga5

And also MadeInGermany is right when he says to remove the trailing slash in
export ABC_HOME=/opt/app/abc/$abcversion/(unless abcga5 is a directory).

Note: think about what the script should do when more files match the wildcard. Test it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

@ in a variable assignment

Hello Everybody, Does anyone know what the @ symbol means in a csh script, if used with a variable assignment as below @ line = 1 why not just use.... set line=1 Many thanks rkap (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assignment in new shell

Hi, I'm writing a KSH script, and at one point, I have to call a new shell and perform some variable assignments. I noticed that the assignment is not working. Please see two samples below: Command 1: #>ksh "i=2;echo I is $i" Output: #>I is Command 2: #>ksh <<EOF > i=2 > echo I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick80
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic variable assignment

Hi all, I’m very new to UNIX programming. I have a question on dynamic variable 1. I’m having delimited file (only one row). First of all, I want to count number of columns based on delimiter. Then I want to create number of variables equal to number of fields. Say number of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mkarthykeyan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with variable assignment

Hi, In AIX I have a variable with , (coma) separated values assigned to it like shown below var1=apple,boy,chris i want to convert this to var1='apple','boy','chris' the number of values assigned to var1 might change and it could be from 1 to n any suggestions please? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul9909
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex variable assignment

Hi, I have a requirement as follows, need to call the format of ${$var} form. For example, i am taking a variable. count=1, ((LIMIT_$count=$count + 1)) Now i have to echo this variable LIMIT_$count. (This is in a loop..) echo ${LIMIT_$count} - displays as a syntax... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhisheksunkari
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assignment problem

hi everyone pls pls help in the query below it's urgent pls -bash-3.00$ abc=deepak -bash-3.00$ a=1 -bash-3.00$ def_${a}=$abc -bash: def_1=deepak: command not found y iti is giving error ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regex and variable assignment

Hi there, I really didn't want to have to waste people's time and ask this, but after 2 hours and running out of my own time I've decided to ask.. Basically I have a file in the format: word: other words; more words here; last word word: more words here; last word (etc) x 100 Where the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maximus73
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

'eval' used in variable assignment

pattern1=book { x=1 eval echo \$pattern$x } book (this is the output) But when I assign a variable to the output of the eval it doesn't work unless I prefix 2 times backslash before $ as shown below. { a=`eval echo \\$pattern$x` echo $a } book Why here twice "\" has to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Usage of # in assignment of variable

guys, i would like to know what does the below does. tr=`echo $bfile | cut -d"." -f4` tr=${tr#TR} i tried with assigning a value and executed second line. but after that also value of tr remains same. thanks in advance .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: expert
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Same Variable Assignment

Hi I have a strange problem: In my shell script I am performing a copy task: . prop.txt cp -r $dir/ $dir/archive $dir is fetched from a property file (prop.txt) which stores its value dir=/opt/data Now the problem is another dir1 comes into picture. I only want to add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankur328
1 Replies
TNTNET-CONFIG(1)					      General Commands Manual						  TNTNET-CONFIG(1)

NAME
tntnet-config - output compiler flags for tntnet usage SYNOPSIS
tntnet-config [--libs] [--cxxflags] [--config[=app]] [--makefile[=app]] [--project=app] [--autoproject=app] [--help] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the tntnet-config command. OPTIONS
This program's options start with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --libs Output linker flags. --cxxflags Output C++ preprocessor and compiler flags. --config[=app] Print default configuration file. --makefile[=app] Print a simple makefile for an ecpp project. --project=app Create a simple ecpp project directory. --autoproject=app Create a autotools based ecpp project. --help Show summary of options. --version Show version of program. AUTHOR
tntnet was written by Tommi Makitalo <tommi@tntnet.org>. This manual page was written by Kari Pahula <kaol@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
tntnet(8), ecppc(1), ecppl(1), ecppll(1). More documentation can be found in /usr/share/doc/tntnet-doc/. July 3, 2006 TNTNET-CONFIG(1)