Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: One liners, quick rant...
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? One liners, quick rant... Post 302977352 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 16th of July 2016 02:17:05 PM
Old 07-16-2016
One liners are "cool". In a perjorative sense. They cause unnecessary maintenance and development problems because of the difficulty in mentally parsing and debugging them. It is code obfuscation. It is the same thing as the code obfuscation contest for C code - except that contest is meant to be fun and ridiculous. 'one-liners' are not.

I've seen similar sentiments expressed here by a lot of folks.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I rant?

First of all, apologies to the admins for not reading the rules totally and missing the bit about ranting off about other OSs. But that raises a question. Where do you go to have a good rant, to vent your disgust at various corporations and thier hideous behaviour? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u6ik
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - one liners

Guys, I have a requirement like this. A file has >5K records always. Separated by "|", it has 30 fields for each line. In some lines, I am getting an odd field. say, the 15th field is supposed to be 2 characters but comes in as >2. In this case, for resolving this I need to copy the value of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: PikK45
6 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Those simple one liners

I wanted to say LOL and punch my face when I saw post#11 (where Don_Cragun even reduced the string manipulation with a simple regex) in the thread https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/220553-add-0-start-filename-2.html I mean, when things can be done with just a one liner, sometimes I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

A rant...

Hi guys... (Apologies for any typos etc...) This is basically a rant. I have been doing kids level projects and writing code to suit since around 1982, for the uProfessor, for the Sinclair Spectrum and later for the QL, IBM-XT in MS-DOS and after that for a 386DX40 up to Windows 95, until I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
POPULARITY-CONTEST(8)													     POPULARITY-CONTEST(8)

NAME
popularity-contest - list the most popular Debian packages SYNOPSIS
popularity-contest DESCRIPTION
The popularity-contest command gathers information about Debian packages installed on the system, and prints the name of the most recently used executable program in that package as well as its last-accessed time (atime) and last-attribute-changed time (ctime) to stdout. When aggregated with the output of popularity-contest from many other systems, this information is valuable because it can be used to determine which Debian packages are commonly installed, used, or installed and never used. This helps Debian maintainers make decisions such as which packages should be installed by default on new systems. The resulting statistic is available from the project home page http://popcon.debian.org/. Normally, popularity-contest is run from a cron(8) job, /etc/cron.daily/popularity-contest, which automatically submits the results to Debian package maintainers (only once a week) according to the settings in /etc/popularity-contest.conf and /usr/share/popularity-con- test/default.conf. SEE ALSO
The popularity-contest FAQ at /usr/share/doc/popularity-contest/FAQ popcon-largest-unused(8), cron(8) Additional documentation is in /usr/share/doc/popularity-contest/. AUTHOR
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@debian.org>. Debian/GNU Linux November 2001 POPULARITY-CONTEST(8)