Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table Post 302977253 by newbie_01 on Friday 15th of July 2016 06:06:15 AM
Old 07-15-2016
Replacing string/special characters using a 'conversion' table

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a script or program available out there that uses a conversion table to replace special characters from a file?

I am trying to remove some special characters from a file but there are several unprintable/control characters that some I need to remove but some I need to replace with 1/2/3 spaces instead.

For example, I want to replace CTRL-I with an underscore, tabs with 3 spaces, CTRL-M with UNIX's newline etc.

I thought it will be easier to have a conversion table that I can use to do this instead of using tr? I need to make the changes in some kind of sequence too, i.e. do the CTRL-I's first, then the tab, etc.

Anyway, here's hoping someone has done this before or know of any script/program that does it.

Any reply much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing string with special character ???

the problem is while replacing the old string with new one with the help of SED i am unable to replace the special characters with new strings. how can i do that? i dont want the user to be given the trouble to write '\' before every special characters like * , . , \ , $ , &. sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imppayel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing French special characters

Hi, I have tonnes of .txt files that are written in French. I need to replace the French special characters, however, with English equivalents (e.g. é -> e and ç -> c). I have tried this --- #!/bin/bash # Convert French characters to normal characters # Treat each of the files exec... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueberryPickle
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Advice on extracting special characters from a DB2 table to a file in the UNIX ENV

need some advice on the following situation. I have a DB2 table which has a varchar Column. This varchar column can have special characters like ©, ®, ™ . When I extract from this table to a sequential file for this varchar column I am only able to get © and ® . To Get the ™... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosec
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on sed replacing special characters

Hello, I have a file with many lines with below format: \abc\\1234 jkl\\567 def\\345 \pqr\\567 \xyz\\234 Here, i need to do 2 things. 1. replace \\ with \ 2. remove starting \ so output to be as below: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
11 Replies

5. Programming

C++ Special Characters in a String?

Hello. How can i put all of the special characters on my keyboard into a string in c++ ? I tried this but it doesn't work. string characters("~`!@#$%^&*()_-+=|\}]{ How can i accomplish this? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbreiny
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string with special characters in shell

Hi, I am trying to replace a string in shell but it is not working correctly. @xcom.file@ needs to be replaced with tb137 Plz help.Thx. Please use and tags when posting code, data or logs etc. to preserve formatting and enhance readability, thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manish72
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in replacing special characters

I am writing a ksh script. I need to replace a set of characters in an xml file. FROM="ÀÁÂÃÄÅÆÇÈÉÊËÌÍÎÏÐÑÒÓÔÕÖØÙÛÚÜÝßàáâãäåçèéêëìíîïðñòóôõö¿¶ø®"; TO="AAAAAAACEEEEIIIIDNOOOOOOUUUUYSaaaaaaceeeeiiiionooooo N R" I have used the code- sed 's/$FROM/$TO/g'<abc.xml But its not working. Can anyone tell me the code to do this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saga20
3 Replies

8. Linux

File conversion and removing special characters from a file in Linux

I have a .CSV file when I check for the special characters in the file using the command cat -vet filename.csv, i get very lengthy lines with "^@", "^I^@" and "^@^M" characters in between each alphabet in all of the records. Using the code below file filename.csv I get the output as I have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing valuses containig space and special characters

**Extremely sorry for the typos in heading Old:CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') New :CAST(CAST('${G_DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS DATE FORMAT 'MM-DD-YYYY') as DATE FORMAT 'YYYY-MM-DD') Need to change old format as new format cat file1 CAST ('${DEFAULT_HIGH_DATE}' AS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: 100bees
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Any tip to replacing the special characters in a file

Hi, Please find attached a file that has special characters on it. It is a copy and paste from a Micro$oft file. I don't want to use strings as it remove all the 'indentations' / 'formatting' so I am replacing them with space instead. I am using the sed command below sed "s/$(printf... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
set_ucodepage(3alleg4)						  Allegro manual					    set_ucodepage(3alleg4)

NAME
set_ucodepage - Sets 8-bit to Unicode conversion tables. Allegro game programming library. SYNOPSIS
#include <allegro.h> void set_ucodepage(const unsigned short *table, const unsigned short *extras); DESCRIPTION
When you select the U_ASCII_CP encoding mode, a set of tables are used to convert between 8-bit characters and their Unicode equivalents. You can use this function to specify a custom set of mapping tables, which allows you to support different 8-bit codepages. The `table' parameter points to an array of 256 shorts, which contain the Unicode value for each character in your codepage. The `extras' parameter, if not NULL, points to a list of mapping pairs, which will be used when reducing Unicode data to your codepage. Each pair con- sists of a Unicode value, followed by the way it should be represented in your codepage. The list is terminated by a zero Unicode value. This allows you to create a many->one mapping, where many different Unicode characters can be represented by a single codepage value (eg. for reducing accented vowels to 7-bit ASCII). Allegro will use the `table' parameter when it needs to convert an ASCII string to an Unicode string. But when Allegro converts an Unicode string to ASCII, it will use both parameters. First, it will loop through the `table' parameter looking for an index position pointing at the Unicode value it is trying to convert (ie. the `table' parameter is also used for reverse matching). If that fails, the `extras' list is used. If that fails too, Allegro will put the character `^', giving up the conversion. Note that Allegro comes with a default `table' and `extras' parameters set internally. The default `table' will convert 8-bit characters to `^'. The default `extras' list reduces Latin-1 and Extended-A characters to 7 bits in a sensible way (eg. an accented vowel will be reduced to the same vowel without the accent). SEE ALSO
set_uformat(3alleg4) Allegro version 4.4.2 set_ucodepage(3alleg4)