Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Ntp time synchronization problems Post 302977167 by Peasant on Wednesday 13th of July 2016 01:01:54 PM
Old 07-13-2016
Does it work if you issue with ntp daemon off :
Code:
ntpdate <your ntp server>

If it works command should return data indicated that time was synced.
You can run it multiple times if you want.

Can you check your NTP conf on the client (that box) ?
Does netstat or lsof show what is holding the port open ?

Perhaps your HPUX box is configured as NTP server with some other (copied) /etc/ntp.conf config file and directives in it to bind to non existing address ?

If your server is NTP client (wants to sync time from your NTP servers), all you should have is couple of lines in ntp.conf (with additional steps you did correctly - netdaemons etc) for things to work (with resolving working or hosts/resolv.conf file configured).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ntp across time zones

I've been tasked to implement ntp on my SCO Unix servers. I have over 600 servers spread across the US in different time zones. Each remote server has network connectivity to a main server here, through their local ISP. (That's how we currently deliver mail to them). My question is, how can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Howeird
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Time synchronization

All What is the best way to keep the system clock synchronized? I have looked at ntp and netdate. Is one good over the other? Basically I want to know if what is the most secure way to keep the system clock insync. netdate will require me to open up some port 37... is this safe? ntp also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skotapal
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

NTP time

Is anyone familiar with adding NTP timing to a HPUX 10 OS? Thanks Brian (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: breigner
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

time synchronization

i have an HP UNIX box w/c acts as ntp server... I tried to change the time plus 8 minutes... the problem is that the other HP UNIX ntp client did not follow the time... when I tried to restart ntp client... using stop start it only sync to the server once... when I issue the command "ntpq -p", w/c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: inquirer
2 Replies

5. SCO

Problems with NTP

Hy, I'm having problems with NTP synchronisation on one of the machines wich runs SCO 5.0.5Eb. It should synchronize with one RedHat machine in local network, but it doesn't (all other machines are fine). It just falls behind after a while. In /etc/ntp.conf i have only this entry: server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veccinho
1 Replies

6. Linux

How often does Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server?

All here, thank you for listening. Now I've set up a Linux NTP server by adding a external windows NTP server in /etc/ntp.conf. Then I start the ntpd daemon. But how often does the Linux NTP server update its time with the external NTP server? I've looked up everywhere but found no information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MichaelLi
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

ntp time synchronization

hello all,, am trying to do a time synchronization between a ntp server and a client, but facing some problems in doing so: i run the ntpdate in debug mode and this is what i got. please help me out.. # ntpd -d -u 172.22.1.207 ntpd 4.2.2p1@1.1570-o Sun Aug 28 19:21:03 UTC 2011 (1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahul11c
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Auto NTP Time Synchronization

Good morning, My first post and first visit, so hello. I have been asked to see if one of our Linux boxes can have it's time sync automatically because the person who built the system has told our staff it cannot be done. To me that raised some flags because although I am no Linux expert, I just... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: YSupport
12 Replies

9. AIX

NTP time problem

I got an ntp time problem on AIX server. os version is AIX7.1 OS LEVEL 7.1.0.0 i got below output,when i run the below command bash-3.2# ntpdate -dv XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 4 Dec 12:50:49 ntpdate: 3.4y transmit(xxxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx) transmit(xxxxxxxx) receive(xxxxxxxxx)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: murali969
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ntp : How is the synchronization time scheduled?

Hello, one of my clients has the following task for me: To write a Perl script that checks, whether ntp is active on a particular AIX or Linux box. Obviously the last synchronization is logged in the file ntp.log So, my task would be find out, when the synchronization SHOULD have taken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bloehdian1
1 Replies
NTP(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    NTP(8)

NAME
ntp - query an ntp clock SYNOPSIS
ntp [-v] [-s] [-f] hosts... DESCRIPTION
ntp sends an ntp packet to the ntp daemon running on each of the given hosts. A daemon fills in fields of the ntp packet as per RFC-???? and sends the packet back. ntp then formats and prints the result on the standard output. The default output shows the delay, offset, and date in ctime() format. Options can reset the time of the local system clock. OPTIONS
-v Verbose output, showing the full contents of received ntp packets, plus caluclated offset, displacement, etc. -s Set system time-of-day clock. Will only happen if time offset is less than compiled-in constant WAYTOBIG (currently 1000 seconds). Will not happen if remote host is unsynchronized. -f Force setting system clock regardless of offset. Must be used with -s option. Still will not reset clock if remote system is unsynchronized. NTP RESULTS
The default output for each host looks like this: 128.8.10.1: delay:1.845207 offset:-0.358460 Mon Mar 20 08:05:44 1989 The verbose output for each host looks like this: Packet from: [128.8.10.1] Leap 0, version 1, mode Server, poll 6, precision -10 stratum 1 (WWVB) Synch Distance is 0000.1999 0.099991 Synch Dispersion is 0000.0000 0.000000 Reference Timestamp is a7bea6c3.88b40000 Tue Mar 7 14:06:43 1989 Originate Timestamp is a7bea6d7.d7e6e652 Tue Mar 7 14:07:03 1989 Receive Timestamp is a7bea6d7.cf1a0000 Tue Mar 7 14:07:03 1989 Transmit Timestamp is a7bea6d8.0ccc0000 Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 Input Timestamp is a7bea6d8.1a77e5ea Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 umd1: delay:0.019028 offset:-0.043890 Tue Mar 7 14:07:04 1989 The various fields are interpreted as follows: Packet from: [address] The address that this ntp packet was received from. Leap indicator: n The leap second indicator. Non-zero if there is to be a leap second added or subtracted at the new year. Status: n Stratum: n (source) The stratum of the clock in the NTP hierarchy, along with the source of the clock, either the name of a reference standard (such as WWVB or GOES) or the Internet address of the clock that this clock is derived from. Poll = n The desired poll rate of the peer. Precision = exponent (dec) The claimed precision of the clock, in seconds. Synchronizing Dist is ??? Synchronizing Dispersion is ??? The next five timestamps are given as NTP fixed-point values, in both hexadecimal and ctime(3). These are set either by this ntp process, or by the server we are quering. Reference Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string The last time the server clock was adjusted. (remote time) Originate Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp request was transmitted by us to the server. (local time) Receive Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp request was received at the server. (remote time) Transmit Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp response was transmitted by the server. (remote time) Input Timestamp is hex-timestamp ctime string When the ntp response was received by us. (local time) hostname: delay:time offset:time The summary of the results of the query, giving the hostname of the responding clock (from the command line), the round-trip delay, and the offset between the two clocks (assuming symmetric round-trip times). BUGS
Using ntp with the current host will show inaccurate results. Probably a few others. Report bugs to Louis A. Mamokos (louie@trantor.umd.edu). SEE ALSO
RFC-???? Network Time Protocol(1), Dave Mills and ... ntpd(8), ntpdc(8) 30 July 1988 NTP(8)