Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to filter out consecutive occurence of digits from file? Post 302977153 by james2009 on Wednesday 13th of July 2016 10:37:18 AM
Old 07-13-2016
How to filter out consecutive occurence of digits from file?

Hello,

I have a text file containing the following for example:
Code:
This number 123456 is in line number one.
Line number two contains -333444 number.
The third line has a 111111 in between and also 435.
Line number four has :444444 in it.
Line five has a in front like a555555.

how can i filter out all the six-digit numbers in the text i.e the required output is:

Code:

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cutting n consecutive lines from a file...

Hi, I have this problem of separating 10 consecutive lines from a file, say starting from 21 to 30... I have used a filter like this.. head -n 30 myfile | tail -n 10 Is there a simpler way than this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishnu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help: single digits inflated to 2 digits

Hi Folks Probably an easy one here but how do I get a sequence to get used as mentioned. For example in the following I want to automatically create files that have a 2 digit number at the end of their names: m@pyhead:~$ for x in $(seq 00 10); do touch file_$x; done m@pyhead:~$ ls file*... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amadain
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing consecutive lines in a file

We have very large transaction logs that have transactions which start with a line that starts with 'Begin :' and ends with a line that starts with 'End :'. For most transactions there is valid data between those two lines. I am trying to get rid of lines that look like this: Begin :... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: deneuve01
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find filenames with three digits and add zeros to make five digits

Hello all! I've looked all over the internet and this site and have come up a loss with an easy way to make a bash script to do what I want to do. I have a file with a naming convention as follows: 2012-01-18 string of words here 123.jpg 2012-01-18 string of words here 1234.jpg 2012-01-18... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buzzman25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into multiple files based on first two digits of file.

Hi , I do have a fixedwidth flatfile that has data for 10 different datasets each identified by the first two digits in the flatfile. 01 in the first two digit position refers to Set A 02 in the first two digit position refers to Set B and so on I want to genrate 10 different files from my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk filter by occurence of at least two columns

Hi, Using AWK script I want to pick those rows that has AT LEAST TWO columns EACH has a count >=3. i.e. two conditions: at least two columns, each of which has a count at least 3. There must be a simple way to do this job, but could not figure it out by myself. Input file (thousand of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print between patterns - first occurence, second occurence etc

I have a file # cat asasas AAAAAA 11 22 33 44 BBBBB NILNILNIL AAAAAA 22 33 44 55 66 77 88 BBBBB NILNILNIL (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace second to last but one consecutive occurence

Hi Unix Mates, I have requirement where in which I have to replace second to last -1 occurence of space with a word and last occurence of a space with a word and a space,input would be a file. Desired result: Second consecutive to last-1 occurence of space replace with: HRU LAST... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filter records in a huge text file from a filter text file

Hi Folks, I have a text file with lots of rows with duplicates in the first column, i want to filter out records based on filter columns in a different filter text file. bash scripting is what i need. Data.txt Name OrderID Quantity Sam 123 300 Jay 342 498 Kev 78 2500 Sam 420 50 Vic 10... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech_frk
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

sed / awk script to delete the two digits from first 3 digits

Hi All , I am having an input file as stated below 5728 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r03_q_reg_20_/Q 011 611 U_TOP_LOGIC/U_CM0P/core/u_cortexm0plus/u_top/u_sys/u_core/r04_q_reg_20_/Q 011 3486... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)