Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A system deletes my .bashrc file Post 302976997 by scrutinizerix on Sunday 10th of July 2016 04:12:32 PM
Old 07-10-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
So you say that .bashrc IS executed during login but then disappears during your interactive session?

Not quite. To represent the situation schematically the issue looks smth like this:

Code:
.bashrc

normally is executed every time I open new Terminal window or start a new Terminal session (by typing the command
Code:
./.bashrc

in Terminal Preferences where you can customize what command for Terminal to execute on starting a session). I can't tell the exact moment it disappears but MOST of the time (except when it's being deleted) during my interactive session I'm able to use commands put in there successfully.

2. It also sits in its location immutably undergoing numerous shutdowns, reboots and so on.

3. At some point coinciding with some reboot (or with turning my Mac on) on Terminal trying to execute
Code:
./.bashrc

it fails because it tells
Code:
MacBook-Pro-ILJA:~ iljashebalin$ . ./.bashrc
-bash: ./.bashrc: No such file or directory

when I start Terminal session/open a new Terminal window. Executing the command
Code:
ls -lahG

reveals it's gone forever.

BTW, it was the second time I detected such misbehavior. The first time I had manually recreate the file together with all configurations I laboriously put into it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation

I search the web and found the following statements ..... The /etc/profile file is a system wide initialization script which is run at login time for each user, while .profile is the users own login initialization. The .bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i look for my .bashrc file

hi i am using cygwin and would like to modify my .bashrc file. How can search to find where it is? I have looked at multiple bashrc file in /etc but none of them seemed to work..thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc file

Hi experts, I am using bash shell and I cant find any .bashrc file in my home dir. Can anybody please help me out here.... If .bashrc file is not there, from where my shell config operates? Also I want to set my prompt like... $ Please advice. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gentleDean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that deletes files.

I want to write a script that deletes files inside the dir. However, the script should also allow the user to confirm by pressing (d) key before deleting files.. #!/bin/bash for file in $1/* do size='ls -l $file | cut -f 5 -d " "' name='ls -l $file | cut -f 9 -d " "' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herberwz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

7. Slackware

Thunderbird 3.1.9 deletes from drafts

I am using Tbird as it came with Slackware 13.37 and everytime I send something I get a message 1 or 2 drafts deleted. Should it be doing that? If not has this been reported ? How can I find out if it was reported? I have no drafts to delete. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

8. Solaris

rm -rf not able deletes file but not the directory

i am trying to remove a directory using rm -rf command but its not getting removed.. it doesnt throw any error also.. i am logging as the owner of the dir and removing it but still no luck.. i am able remove a file but not a directory. i am using solaris 10 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bashrc File - Conditional Command Execution?

Hello All, I was wondering if there is a way to execute a command in my ".bashrc" file based on how I logged into the PC? I was thinking maybe there is a way to check how the user (*myself) logged in, maybe somehow with the who command along with something else, but I'm not sure... I know I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)