Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RHEL Memory issue
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL Memory issue Post 302976990 by baluchen on Sunday 10th of July 2016 10:53:26 AM
Old 07-10-2016
RHEL Memory issue

Friends,

I have 8CPU/24gb RAM in my Linux servers around 30+. All the servers are running with Java based application with NFS mounted.

The problem what I have is, When I reboot servers the server memory looks decent. But after some time the "cached" memory increasing and "free" memory getting reduced and reaching some mega bytes. I searched in various forums that it is behavior for RHEL and there wont be any performance issue. But I see better performance when there is more memory available in "free". The same performance goes down when the "free" memory reach 300mb.

Code:
$ free -g
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:            23         23          0          0          0          9
-/+ buffers/cache:         13         10
Swap:            1          0          1
$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:         24248      23756        492          0        233       9684
-/+ buffers/cache:      13838      10409
Swap:         2047        214       1833
$

I need your expert advice why the cached memory is increasing.. and how I set threshold so that I will always have 1-2gb free.?

Thank you
Bala

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Memory Issue

Hi There, I have upgraded the DELL poweredge 2600 server memory from 2GB to 4GB. However, the memory only showed at 2GB of utilization. How to make sure that the server is full utilize of 4GB of memory. Is there the Virtual memory need to be reconfigure as this server is run on windows 2000 and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestro
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL Installation issue.

Hi Gurus I am trying to install RHEL linux enterprise Edition v5 on a Dell Optiplex 320 desktop. After the Grub menu,i get the error,Kernel could not be loaded. I am a newbie in linux and would appreciate any help in moving forward. Thanks HG (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hari_Ganesh
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Time Sync issue on RHEL 5.3

Hi, My Linux VMs are running on citrix XEN.Somehow the time drift is too high (going very fast). Even if the correct time configured using date -s command, for every 1 hr it is differing almost 5 - 10 mins. Tried configuring ntpd (local NTP server) and still it is not synchronized. Machine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

iSCSI issue on RHEL 5

Hello Friends, I am facing issue with the iSCSI configuration on some of our RHEL 5 servers, When I restart the iSCSI service, it triggers the RHEL server reboot. Could you please help me with this issue. Below are the system details : uname -a : Linux za-rac-prd-01.abc.local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeevanm
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

Best way to monitor use of memory resources for an RHEL instance

I wanted to know what is the best way to monitor use of memory on an RHEL server. We have 16 GB of memory for the RHEL instance but the usage at any time is more than 99%. I use /proc/meminfo on the server to check memory. I hope, my question is clear that what is the best way to monitor use of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Logrotate issue in RHEL

Hi, I have a requirement to compress logs that generate daily. Below is the logrotate configuration for this But for some kind of reason the logs are not getting compressed daily. When tried to execute the logrotate manually with -d it says "log does not need rotating." The path... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

Memory Issue

I could not find what is consuming the memory, generated DSET reports and NO hardware wise memory issue. 64 GB RAM on a server yet all I could see is a very limited memory available. I am not sure if I am reading this correct or not. I have used free -t -m and cat /proc/meminfo (results below)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
3 Replies

8. Linux

Installation issue RHEL 6.5 on SAN

HI All I am facing issue in installation of Red Hat 6.5 on SAN.. i am having a partion of 2 TB in my SAN and i am installing the operating system after completed the installation it not booting and giving the error. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deviltech
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX to RHEL migration - awk treating 0e[0-9]+ as 0 instead of string issue

Greetings Experts, We are migrating from AIX to RHEL Linux. I have created a script to verify and report the NULLs and SPACEs in the key columns and duplicates on key combination of "|" delimited set of big files. Following is the code that was successfully running in AIX. awk -F "|" 'BEGIN {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chill3chee
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

RHEL 5.11 - gid issue

Hello folks, I am facing a weird issue on one of the red hat linux 5 box. There is an oracle id which i want to change the primary group. Currently the primary group id is 16600, I did changed it to 16601 using below command: usermod -g 16601 oracle But it did not changed. I have tried... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
3 Replies
bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)					      General Commands Manual					       bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)

NAME
bssh/bvnc/bshell - Browse for SSH/VNC servers on the local network SYNOPSIS
bssh bvnc bshell DESCRIPTION
bssh/bvnc/bshell browses for SSH/VNC servers on the local network, shows them in a GUI for the user to select one and finally calls ssh/vncviewer after a selection was made. If the binary is called as bssh only ssh servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bvnc only VNC servers will be shown. If the binary is called as bshell both VNC and SSH servers are shown. OPTIONS
-s | --ssh Browse for SSH servers (and only SSH servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -v | --vnc Browse for VNC servers (and only VNC servers) regardless under which name the binary is called. -S | --shell Browse for both VNC and SSH servers regardless under which name the binary is called. -d | --domain= DOMAIN Browse in the specified domain. If omitted bssh/bvnc/bshell will browse in the default browsing domain (usually .local) -h | --help Show help. SEE ALSO
avahi-browse(1), ssh(1), vncviewer(1) COMMENTS
This man page was written using xml2man(1) by Oliver Kurth. Manuals User bssh/bvnc/bshell(1)