Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to cut a specific pattern from a line Post 302976980 by mirwasim on Sunday 10th of July 2016 04:53:01 AM
Old 07-10-2016
I got below error.
I want to print the third field and the the url .
url is not at specific position every time, it can be at filed 10, 12 13 and so on.
i want script to pick where ever it is in the line
Code:
awk: syntax error near line 1
awk: bailing out near line 1

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Pleae use CODE tags (not ICODE tags) when displaying full-line and multi-line sample input, sample output, and code segments.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 07-10-2016 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Change ICODE tags to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

merge columns into one line after a specific pattern

Hi all, im a linux newbie, plz help! I have a file - box -------- Fox-2 -------- UF29 zip42 -------- zf-CW SNF2_N Heli_Z -------- Fox -------- Kel_1 box (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To cut a specific line

Hi, I need to remove a specific line from a file.. For eg: From the html codings, I need to find the word "iframe frameborder" and cut it . I tried with find . -type f -exec grep -H 'iframe frameborder' {} \; > <filename> From the output of this result, I need to remove the "iframe... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut first line only from a text near a specific column without cutting a word

First I have to say thank you to this community and this forum. You helped me very much builing several useful scripts. Now, I can't get a solution the following problem, I'm stuck somehow. Maybe someone has an idea. In short, I dump a site via lynx and pipe the output in a file. I need to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut specific line and one line under?

Hi guys, I need to analyze the following alert log file: Beginning log switch checkpoint up to RBA , SCN: 3916025539605 Sat May 1 00:54:52 2010 Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 271423 (LGWR switch) Current log# 1 seq# 271423 mem# 0: /dw/stg_redo01/log_dwstg_g1_m1.log Current log# 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut specific pattern

Hi i want to cut a variable like if it is ABCDEF then i want to cut "DEF" only Please help me regarding this. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
1 Replies

6. Programming

Print specific pattern line in c++

Input file: @HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC +HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 TNTTJTTTETceJSP__VRJea`_NfcefbWe Desired output file: >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_1 GACCAATAAGTGATGATTGAATCGCGAGTGCTCGGCAGATTGCGATAAAC >HWI-BRUNOP1_header_2... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk, cut, to extract specific data from line

Hi guys, I have been trying to do this, but... no luck so maybe you can help me. I have a line like this: Total Handled, Received, on queue Input Mgs: 140 / 14 => 0 I need to, get the number after the / until the =, to get only 14 . Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocramas
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in line below specific pattern?

Hi, I'm trying to replace a string with sed, in a text file containing this pattern: location alpha value x location beta value y location gamma value y location delta value y location theta value z ... What I want to achieve is: Find location beta into text file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TECK
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace the line with specific pattern

Hello All I'm trying to change one string from a file contening this patern: xxxx-xxxx 4 numbers - end 4 other numbers This is a sample of the file: LDR 00679 am a2200205 4500 =001 3617 =008 030219s2000\\\\xxx|||||\||||\00|\0\spa\d =020 \\$a0211-1942 =041 \\$aCastellà =093 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies
CUT(1)								   User Commands							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut OPTION... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST select only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST select only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n (ignored) --complement complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report cut bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'cut invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.5 February 2011 CUT(1)