Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) A system deletes my .bashrc file Post 302976974 by scrutinizerix on Saturday 9th of July 2016 06:36:34 PM
Old 07-09-2016
A system deletes my .bashrc file

It deletes my .bashrc file rarely but predictability after some unknown count of Mac's restarts. Has someone ever faced such behavior?

How do I prevent OS X from modifying .bashrc? What ownership/permission should I set up to not let it happen?

OS X Lion.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

.bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation

I search the web and found the following statements ..... The /etc/profile file is a system wide initialization script which is run at login time for each user, while .profile is the users own login initialization. The .bashrc file is an initialization file run by each interactive invocation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cy163
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can I modify the .bashrc file instead of .profile file to customize my login?

Hello, I got this question which tells me to customize my login script. Some people in the forums suggested to modify the .profile file in my home directory. I did so, but none of my customizations show up when I open the terminal after. So, I tried to modify other files in my home directory,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hyunkel
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how do i look for my .bashrc file

hi i am using cygwin and would like to modify my .bashrc file. How can search to find where it is? I have looked at multiple bashrc file in /etc but none of them seemed to work..thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

.bashrc file

Hi experts, I am using bash shell and I cant find any .bashrc file in my home dir. Can anybody please help me out here.... If .bashrc file is not there, from where my shell config operates? Also I want to set my prompt like... $ Please advice. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gentleDean
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that deletes files.

I want to write a script that deletes files inside the dir. However, the script should also allow the user to confirm by pressing (d) key before deleting files.. #!/bin/bash for file in $1/* do size='ls -l $file | cut -f 5 -d " "' name='ls -l $file | cut -f 9 -d " "' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: herberwz
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why sed command deletes last line in a file if no carriage return?

Hi I am using sed command to make SCORE=somevalue to SCORE=blank in a file. Please see the attached lastline.txt file. After executing the below command on the file, it removes the last line. cat lastline.txt | sed 's/SCORE=.*$/SCORE=/g' > newfile.txt Why does sed command remove the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok.k
3 Replies

7. Slackware

Thunderbird 3.1.9 deletes from drafts

I am using Tbird as it came with Slackware 13.37 and everytime I send something I get a message 1 or 2 drafts deleted. Should it be doing that? If not has this been reported ? How can I find out if it was reported? I have no drafts to delete. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slak0
2 Replies

8. Solaris

rm -rf not able deletes file but not the directory

i am trying to remove a directory using rm -rf command but its not getting removed.. it doesnt throw any error also.. i am logging as the owner of the dir and removing it but still no luck.. i am able remove a file but not a directory. i am using solaris 10 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
12 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bashrc File - Conditional Command Execution?

Hello All, I was wondering if there is a way to execute a command in my ".bashrc" file based on how I logged into the PC? I was thinking maybe there is a way to check how the user (*myself) logged in, maybe somehow with the who command along with something else, but I'm not sure... I know I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
COLORDIFF(1)															      COLORDIFF(1)

NAME
colordiff - a tool to colorize diff output SYNOPSIS
colordiff [diff options] [colordiff options] {file1} {file2} DESCRIPTION
colordiff is a wrapper for diff and produces the same output as diff but with coloured syntax highlighting at the command line to improve readability. The output is similar to how a diff-generated patch might appear in Vim or Emacs with the appropriate syntax highlighting options enabled. The colour schemes can be read from a central configuration file or from a local user ~/.colordiffrc file. colordiff makes use of ANSI colours and as such will only work when ANSI colours can be used - typical examples are xterms and Eterms, as well as console sessions. colordiff has been tested on various flavours of Linux and under OpenBSD, but should be broadly portable to other systems. USAGE
Use colordiff wherever you would normally use diff, or pipe output to colordiff: For example: $ colordiff file1 file2 $ diff -u file1 file2 | colordiff You can pipe the output to 'less', using the '-R' option (some systems or terminal types may get better results using '-r' instead), which keeps the colour escape sequences, otherwise displayed incorrectly or discarded by 'less': $ diff -u file1 file2 | colordiff | less -R If you have wdiff installed, colordiff will correctly colourise the added and removed text, provided that the '-n' option is given to wdiff: $ wdiff -n file1 file2 | colordiff You may find it useful to make diff automatically call colordiff. Add the following line to ~/.bashrc (or equivalent): alias diff=colordiff Any options passed to colordiff are passed through to diff except for the colordiff-specific option 'difftype', e.g. colordiff --difftype=debdiff file1 file2 Valid values for 'difftype' are: diff, diffc, diffu, diffy, wdiff, debdiff; these correspond to plain diffs, context diffs, unified diffs, side-by-side diffs, wdiff output and debdiff output respectively. Use these overrides when colordiff is not able to determine the diff-type automatically. Alternatively, a construct such as 'cvs diff SOMETHING | colordiff' can be included in ~/.bashrc as follows: function cvsdiff () { cvs diff $@ | colordiff; } Or, combining the idea above using 'less': function cvsdiff () { cvs diff $@ | colordiff |less -R; } Note that the function name, cvsdiff, can be customized. FILES
/etc/colordiffrc Central configuration file. User-specific settings can be enabled by copying this file to ~/.colordiffrc and making the appropriate changes. colordiffrc-lightbg Alternate configuration template for use with terminals having light backgrounds. Copy this to /etc/colordiffrc or ~/.colordiffrc and customize. BUGS
Bug reports and suggestions/patches to <davee@sungate.co.uk> please. AUTHOR
colordiff is written and maintained by Dave Ewart <davee@sungate.co.uk>. This manual page and the source XML was written by Graham Wilson <graham@mknod.org> for Debian and is maintained by the author. Dave Ewart maintains the Debian package. 01/25/2009 COLORDIFF(1)