Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to replace last field in a file,if first field matches Post 302976720 by Aia on Monday 4th of July 2016 01:25:23 PM
Old 07-04-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumanthsv
Hi,

Need to replace last field in a file(/etc/passwd) ,if first filed matches with particular username.

Scenario:

Code:
cat testfor1
deekshi:x:7082:7082::/home/deekshi:/bin/bash
harini1:x:7083:7083::/home/harini1:/bin/bash

Here,if first field contains "deekshi", then i should replace /bin/bash with /bin/nologin

Expected Output:

Code:
cat testfor1
deekshi:x:7082:7082::/home/deekshi:/bin/nologin
harini1:x:7083:7083::/home/harini1:/bin/bash

As of now i tried like below,

Code:
sed '/deekshi/s|$|/bin/nologin|' testfor1

But its not working

TIA
For /etc/password, please use chsh or usermod

i.e
Code:
usermod -s /sbin/nologin deekshi

Code:
chsh -s /sbin/nologin deekshi

Notice: In Linux the path is, quite often, /sbin/nologin. You can check the shells available with:
Code:
chsh -l

For testfor1
Code:
perl -palF':' -e '/deekshi/ and s|$F[-1]|/bin/nologin|' testfor1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace a field in one file with a field from another file

I have to replace a field in one file with a field from other file. I came across this awk command to replace a field with one string nawk -F'|' -v OFS='|' '$2="replace"' temp2 > temp3 I need to have something like cut -f2 -d "|" temp1 (a field from other file) instead of 'replace' Is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: savant
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding field values if field matches

hi i have file as below , i want to add duplicate records like bell_bb to one record with valuve as 15 ( addition of both ) any oneline awk script to achive this ? header 0 CAMPAIGN_NAME 1 Bell_BB 14 Bell_MONTHLY 803 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 644 Bell_BB 1 Bell_MONTHLY 25 SOLO_UNBEATABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files Field by field and output the result in another file

Hi Friends, Need Help. I have file1.txt as File1.txt |123|A|7267|Hyder|Cross|Sell|7801 |995|A|7051|2008|Lunar|New|Year|Promotion|7801 |996|A|7022|Q108|Targ|Prospect|&|SSCC|Savings|Promo|7801 |997|A|7182|Q1|Feb-Apr|08|Credit|ITA|PA|SBA|Campaign|7801 File2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying the first field if the second field matches the pattern using Perl

Hi, I am trying with the below Perl command to print the first field when the second field matches the given pattern: perl -lane 'open F, "< myfile"; for $i (<F>) {chomp $i; if ($F =~ /patt$/) {my $f = (split(" ", $i)); print "$f";}} close F' dummy_file I know I can achieve the same with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines in file if specific field matches

I am trying to remove lines in the target.txt file if $5 before the - in that file matches sorted_list. I have tried grep and awk. Thank you :). grep grep -v -F -f targets.bed sort_list grep -vFf sort_list targets awk awk -F, ' > FILENAME == ARGV {to_remove=1; next} > ! ($5 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies