Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need to replace last field in a file,if first field matches Post 302976717 by jim mcnamara on Monday 4th of July 2016 12:31:42 PM
Old 07-04-2016
Do not use sed to modify /etc/passwd or any important system file. Why? Because other files you do not know about may also need changes.

In Linux to lock an acount:
Code:
usermod -L  username
passwd -l  username

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to replace a field in one file with a field from another file

I have to replace a field in one file with a field from other file. I came across this awk command to replace a field with one string nawk -F'|' -v OFS='|' '$2="replace"' temp2 > temp3 I need to have something like cut -f2 -d "|" temp1 (a field from other file) instead of 'replace' Is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: savant
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying lines of a file where the second field matches a pattern

Howdy. I know this is most likely possible using sed or awk or grep, most likely a combination of them together, but how would one go about running a grep like command on a file where you only try to match your pattern to the second field in a line, space delimited? Example: You are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezoX
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding field values if field matches

hi i have file as below , i want to add duplicate records like bell_bb to one record with valuve as 15 ( addition of both ) any oneline awk script to achive this ? header 0 CAMPAIGN_NAME 1 Bell_BB 14 Bell_MONTHLY 803 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 644 Bell_BB 1 Bell_MONTHLY 25 SOLO_UNBEATABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a field from a line with another field

i have something like this, cat filename.txt hui this si s"dfgdfg" omeone ipaddress="10.19.123.104" wel hope this works i want to replace only 10.19.123.104 with different ip say 10.19.123.103 i tried this sed -i "s/'ipaddress'/'ipaddress=10.19.123.103'/g" filename.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files Field by field and output the result in another file

Hi Friends, Need Help. I have file1.txt as File1.txt |123|A|7267|Hyder|Cross|Sell|7801 |995|A|7051|2008|Lunar|New|Year|Promotion|7801 |996|A|7022|Q108|Targ|Prospect|&|SSCC|Savings|Promo|7801 |997|A|7182|Q1|Feb-Apr|08|Credit|ITA|PA|SBA|Campaign|7801 File2.txt... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Displaying the first field if the second field matches the pattern using Perl

Hi, I am trying with the below Perl command to print the first field when the second field matches the given pattern: perl -lane 'open F, "< myfile"; for $i (<F>) {chomp $i; if ($F =~ /patt$/) {my $f = (split(" ", $i)); print "$f";}} close F' dummy_file I know I can achieve the same with the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace a field with a character as per the field length

Hi all, I have a requirement to replace a field with a character as per the length of the field. Suppose i have a file where second field is of 20 character length. I want to replace second field with 20 stars (*). like ******************** As the field is not a fixed one, i want to do the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gani_85
2 Replies

8. Linux

How do I format a Date field of a .CSV file with multiple commas in a string field?

I have a .CSV file (file.csv) whose data are all enclosed in double quotes. Sample format of the file is as below: column1,column2,column3,column4,column5,column6, column7, Column8, Column9, Column10 "12","B000QRIGJ4","4432","string with quotes, and with a comma, and colon: in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhruuv369
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command/script to match a field and print the next field of each line in a file.

Hello, I have a text file in the below format: Source Destination State Lag Status CQA02W2K12pl:D:\CAQA ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pocodot
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines in file if specific field matches

I am trying to remove lines in the target.txt file if $5 before the - in that file matches sorted_list. I have tried grep and awk. Thank you :). grep grep -v -F -f targets.bed sort_list grep -vFf sort_list targets awk awk -F, ' > FILENAME == ARGV {to_remove=1; next} > ! ($5 in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
usermod(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					      usermod(3pm)

NAME
Linux::usermod - modify user and group accounts SYNOPSIS
use Linux::usermod; $user = Linux::usermod->new(username); $grp = Linux::usermod->new(groupname, 1); $user->get(gid); # equal to $user->get(3); $user->get(uid); # equal to $user->get(2); $grp->get(gid); # equal to $user->get(2); $grp->get(users);# equal to $user->get(3); #lock and unlock user account $user->lock(); $user->unlock(); #get password(passwd file) $user->get(ppassword); #get encoded password(shadow file) $user->get(password); #set encoded password $user->set(password); $grp->set(password); #set shell / group administrator $user->set(shell); $grp->set(ga); #set group users @users = qw(user1 user2); $grp->set(users, "@users"); Linux::usermod->add(username); #or Linux::usermod->add(username, password, uid, gid, comment, home, shell); #where the password goes in shadow file and gid becomes #equal to uid unless specified and uid is becoming the #first unreserved number after 1000 unless specified #or @users = qw(user1 user2 user3); Linux::usermod->grpadd(groupname, gid, "@users") #where the password goes in gshadow file and gid becomes #equal to the second argument or the first unreserved number #after 100 #delete user/group Linux::usermod->del(username); Linux::usermod->grpdel(groupname); #all fields are returned from the class methods fields/gfields print $user->get($_) for (Linux::usermod->fields); print $grp->get($_) for (Linux::usermod->gfields); #set working passwd and shadow files #$Linux::usermod::file_passwd = "./my_passwd"; #$Linux::usermod::file_shadow = "./my_shadow"; #$Linux::usermod::file_group = "./my_group"; #$Linux::usermod::file_gshadow= "./my_gshadow"; DESCRIPTION
This module adds, removes and modify user and group accounts according to the passwd and shadow files syntax (like struct passwd from pwd.h). It is not necessary those accounts to be system as long as $Linux::usermod::file_passwd, $Linux::usermod::file_shadow, $Linux::usermod::file_group, $Linux::usermod::file_gshadow are not in "/etc" directory. METHODS
new Linux::usermod->new(username) Linux::usermod->new(grpname, 1) If group object second 'true' argument must be given add (username, ...) Class method - add new user account; arguments are optional, except username; they may be (username, password, uid, gid, comment, home, shell) del (username) Class method - removes user account tobsd converts user fields in shadow / master.passwd file to bsd style get if used with user object returns one of the following fields: 'name' or 0 The user's name 'ppassword' or 1 The "passwd" file password 'uid' or 2 The user's id 'gid' or 3 The user's group id 'comment' or 4 The comment about the user (real username) 'home' or 5 The user's home directory 'shell' or 6 The user's shell 'sname' or 7 The user's name in shadow file 'password' or 8 The 13-character encoded password 'lastchg' or 9 The number of days since January 1, 1970 of the last password changed date 'min' or 10 The minimum number of days required between password changes 'max' or 11 The maximum number of days the password is valid 'warn' or 12 The number of days before expiring the password that the user is warned 'inactive' or 13 The number of days of inactivity allowed for the user 'expire' or 14 The number of days since January 1, 1970 that account is disabled 'flag' or 15 Currently not used if used with group object returns one of the following fields: 'name' or 0 The group name 'ppassword' or 1 The group password 'gid' or 2 The group id number 'users' or 3 The group members (users) 'sname' or 4 The group name in gshadow file (the same as 'name') 'password' or 5 The encrypted group password 'ga' or 6 The group administrators 'gu' or 7 The group members (users) (the same as 'users') argument can be either string or number set (field) set a field which must be string of characters: @user_fields = Linux::usermod->fields; #user fields @group_fields = Linux::usermod->gfields; #group fields grpadd (groupname) grpdel (groupname) lock (username) Lock user account (puts '!' at the beginning of the encoded password) unlock (username) Unlock user account (removes '!' from the beginning of the encoded password) users Class method - return hash which keys are all users, taken from $file_passwd grps Class method - return hash which keys are all groups, taken from $file_group FILES
/etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/gshadow unless given your own passwd, shadow, group, gshadow files which must be created TO DO
Groups and user accounts consistency checks SEE ALSO
getpwent(3), getpwnam(3), usermod(8), passwd(1), gpasswd(1) BUGS
None known. Report any to author. AUTHOR
Vidul Petrov, vidul@abv.bg (C) 2004 Vidul Petrov. All rights reserved. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-01-11 usermod(3pm)