Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX [Tip] Problem with rpm ("different operating system") Post 302976649 by bakunin on Saturday 2nd of July 2016 01:00:33 PM
Old 07-02-2016
[Tip] Problem with rpm ("different operating system")

I have once experienced this problem without understanding what caused it but now learned thatn there is even a PMR dealing with it. Sometimes it happens that you encounter the following (rather cryptical) error message when trying to install an rpm-package:

Code:
package <rpm_package_name> is for a different operating system

Seeing this error for rpm-packages explicitly made for AIX and downloaded from IBM makes the error message rather unlikely to be true. Of course you can override rpms safety measures with the --ignoreos option, but you surely want to know und understand what causes it in first place:

This is usually because of an incorrect entry in /opt/freeware/lib/rpm/rpmrc like the following:

Code:
[....]
os_compat: aix7.2: aix7.1: aix6.1 aix6.0 aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
os_compat: aix6.1: aix6.0 aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
os_compat: aix6.0: aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
[...]

What you need to do is to correct this to the following form:

Code:
[....]
os_compat: aix7.2: aix7.1: aix6.1 aix6.0 aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
os_compat: aix7.1: aix6.1 aix6.0 aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
os_compat: aix6.1: aix6.0 aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
os_compat: aix6.0: aix5.3 aix5.2 aix5.1 aix5.0 aix4.3
[...]

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

system("PAUSE") Problem.....

Ok, here's the situation....I have this code... #include <iostream.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main() { cout << "\nBlah, and Blah\n\n"; system("PAUSE"); return 0; } Now, "system("PAUSE")" gets executed before "cout" does, and I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbolthouse
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

4. Programming

Problem with socket binding - "system" call

Hi, I am having an issue with using sockets. I have a program which binds to a socket and listen on it. Later I spawn a thread to handle some function. In the new thread created I need to call a shell script which executes the specified function. Here I am using a system command to call the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janardhanbr
5 Replies

5. Programming

Problem with system("command")

Sorry, I don't speak English very well but I will try to explain my problem! If I write a C++ program and I use che system call system("command") I have this problem: If I would launch a program I do this: system("~/Agostino/program/test") and all work fine!! But if I divide this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: acciues
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using "system" command in perl

Hello!!! I'm trying to pass the output from bash command to perl variable in a perl script, and I used the "system" command to execute the bash statment and pass the result to perl string variable, in this perl script I used a variable $file that store data for using it as a regular expression.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evolabo
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Operating Environment Installation CD, aka "CD0" PN: 704-7076-10

Hi to all. It is need to install Solaris 2.5.1 on Sun Enterprise 220r and 420r. Share somebody Solaris Operating Environment Installation CD, aka "CD0" PN: 704-7076-10 ... It is very necessary! ! ! PM or ftp link.... :D (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aivengoff
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk "date" and "system" command

Hello experts! I need your help please I have a file.txt of which I want to extract 3rd and 4th columns with date with the form e.g.: 2016-11-25 03:14:50and pass them to "date" command, but also append the 9th column in a file as well. So I want to execute date -d '2016-11-25 03:14:50' ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies
RPMBUILD(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       RPMBUILD(8)

NAME
rpmbuild - Build RPM Package(s) SYNOPSIS
BUILDING PACKAGES: rpmbuild {-ba|-bb|-bp|-bc|-bi|-bl|-bs} [rpmbuild-options] SPECFILE ... rpmbuild {-ta|-tb|-tp|-tc|-ti|-tl|-ts} [rpmbuild-options] TARBALL ... rpmbuild {--rebuild|--recompile} SOURCEPKG ... MISCELLANEOUS: rpmbuild --showrc rpmbuild-options [--buildroot DIRECTORY] [--clean] [--nobuild] [--rmsource] [--rmspec] [--short-circuit] [--target PLATFORM] DESCRIPTION
rpmbuild is used to build both binary and source software packages. A package consists of an archive of files and meta-data used to install and erase the archive files. The meta-data includes helper scripts, file attributes, and descriptive information about the package. Packages come in two varieties: binary packages, used to encapsulate software to be installed, and source packages, containing the source code and recipe necessary to produce binary packages. One of the following basic modes must be selected: Build Package, Build Package from Tarball, Recompile Package, Show Configuration. GENERAL OPTIONS These options can be used in all the different modes. -?, --help Print a longer usage message then normal. --version Print a single line containing the version number of rpm being used. --quiet Print as little as possible - normally only error messages will be displayed. -v Print verbose information - normally routine progress messages will be displayed. -vv Print lots of ugly debugging information. --rcfile FILELIST Each of the files in the colon separated FILELIST is read sequentially by rpm for configuration information. Only the first file in the list must exist, and tildes will be expanded to the value of $HOME. The default FILELIST is /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc:/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc:/etc/rpmrc:~/.rpmrc. --pipe CMD Pipes the output of rpm to the command CMD. --dbpath DIRECTORY Use the database in DIRECTORY rather than the default path /var/lib/rpm --root DIRECTORY Use the file system tree rooted at DIRECTORY for all operations. Note that this means the database within DIRECTORY will be used for dependency checks and any scriptlet(s) (e.g. %post if installing, or %prep if building, a package) will be run after a chroot(2) to DIRECTORY. BUILD OPTIONS The general form of an rpm build command is rpmbuild -bSTAGE|-tSTAGE [ rpmbuild-options ] FILE ... The argument used is -b if a spec file is being used to build the package and -t if rpmbuild should look inside of a (possibly compressed) tar file for the spec file to use. After the first argument, the next character (STAGE) specifies the stages of building and packaging to be done and is one of: -ba Build binary and source packages (after doing the %prep, %build, and %install stages). -bb Build a binary package (after doing the %prep, %build, and %install stages). -bp Executes the "%prep" stage from the spec file. Normally this involves unpacking the sources and applying any patches. -bc Do the "%build" stage from the spec file (after doing the %prep stage). This generally involves the equivalent of a "make". -bi Do the "%install" stage from the spec file (after doing the %prep and %build stages). This generally involves the equivalent of a "make install". -bl Do a "list check". The "%files" section from the spec file is macro expanded, and checks are made to verify that each file exists. -bs Build just the source package. The following options may also be used: --buildroot DIRECTORY When building a package, override the BuildRoot tag with directory DIRECTORY. --clean Remove the build tree after the packages are made. --nobuild Do not execute any build stages. Useful for testing out spec files. --nodeps Do not verify build dependencies. --rmsource Remove the sources after the build (may also be used standalone, e.g. "rpmbuild --rmsource foo.spec"). --rmspec Remove the spec file after the build (may also be used standalone, eg. "rpmbuild --rmspec foo.spec"). --short-circuit Skip straight to specified stage (i.e., skip all stages leading up to the specified stage). Only valid with -bc, -bi, and -bb. Useful for local testing only. Packages built this way will be marked with an unsatisfiable dependency to prevent their accidental use. --target PLATFORM When building the package, interpret PLATFORM as arch-vendor-os and set the macros %_target, %_target_cpu, and %_target_os accord- ingly. REBUILD AND RECOMPILE OPTIONS There are two other ways to invoke building with rpm: rpmbuild --rebuild|--recompile SOURCEPKG ... When invoked this way, rpmbuild installs the named source package, and does a prep, compile and install. In addition, --rebuild builds a new binary package. When the build has completed, the build directory is removed (as in --clean) and the the sources and spec file for the package are removed. SHOWRC The command rpmbuild --showrc shows the values rpmbuild will use for all of the options are currently set in rpmrc and macros configuration file(s). FILES
rpmrc Configuration /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc /etc/rpmrc ~/.rpmrc Macro Configuration /usr/lib/rpm/macros /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/macros /etc/rpm/macros ~/.rpmmacros Temporary /var/tmp/rpm* SEE ALSO
gendiff(1), popt(3), rpm(8), rpm2cpio(8), rpmkeys(8) rpmspec(8), rpmsign(8), rpmbuild --help - as rpm supports customizing the options via popt aliases it's impossible to guarantee that what's described in the manual matches what's available. http://www.rpm.org/ <URL:http://www.rpm.org/> AUTHORS
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> Jeff Johnson <jbj@redhat.com> Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Red Hat, Inc. 09 June 2002 RPMBUILD(8)