Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Finding Files with Perl on a Hidden Dir? Post 302976444 by LinQ on Wednesday 29th of June 2016 10:47:19 AM
Old 06-29-2016
Thank you, Aia, for posting! Sorry for the confusion...

Here's the program flow which I am seeking to achieve with my crude little snippet:
  1. Begin by printing the word "starting" to the terminal.
  2. Check ~/.somedir using while() to see if the file "testFile" is present.
  3. If it is, send the phrase "file detected" to the terminal; and loop back again to check if "testFile" is still present after a 1-second timeout.
  4. If "testFile" doesn't exist on ~/.somedir, print the phrase "file missing" to the terminal and exit.
Not too exciting; but I think it about encapsulates what I need to do Smilie

To this end, I have formed three different while() statements to interchangeably fit into the main script code:
Code:
  1. while (`wc -l ~/.somedir/testFile | sed -e 's/ \/.*$//'` eq "0")
  2. while (`ls -a ~/.somedir | grep -e \"testFile\"` eq "testFile")
  3. while (-e "~/.somedir/testFile")

The commandlines from 1) and 2) both work well as stand-alone code at the terminal; but do not execute properly from Perl. #2 is particularly well-suited to the work; as it doesn't rely upon the file being of any particular size to allow for successful detection. String comparisons should logically work as expected in this context.

Choice #3 is preferred as a straightforward solution; but, unfortunately, Perl will not find our "testFile" on a hidden directory such as ~/.somedir using the normal
Code:
while (-e "~/.somedir/testFile")

statement layout.

So, that's the problem in a nutshell...

Again, I'd prefer going with the straight-Perl approach which #3 offers. But, if making this work is more complicated than getting the commandline in
Code:
while (`ls -a ~/.somedir | grep -e \"testFile\"` eq "testFile")

to function correctly in this code context, I'll settle for a just "quick fix" of #2 for now.

Thanks again!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding hidden files under mounted filesystems

I have never heard of this before but someone at work here says there is a command to find files that are under currently mounted filesystems. Does anyone know what this command is and is it available on HP-UX? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: keelba
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding Hidden files and protecting the folder containing hidden files from deletion

Hi. I have a script which is deleting files with a particular extension and older than 45 days.The code is: find <path> -name "<filename_pattern>" -mtime +45 -exec rm {} \; But the problem is that some important files are also getting deleted.To prevent this I have decide to make a dummy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pochaw
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL count files in a dir

Hi Guys, I need to count files in a dir which were updated yesterday. ls -lth | grep -i 'Jul 7' | wc -l The dir holds files of last 15 days and total count is as 2067476. Is it efficient to count the files using perl? I have developed the following perl script making use of system(). Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with CD to a hidden dir

I have written a script to secure delete all files in a quarantine folder and my Trash folder. All the commands run trough Terminal via the script. The problem I am having is when I am changing the directory to the hidden Trash folder. When I do cd /Users/WatsonN/.Trash all it does is take it to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WatsonN
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding perl files without documentation

I have an application consisting of a number of perl files. I want to find those perl files that have no documentation yet, so I tried the following from the root level of the directory where the application resides: perldoc -r * The output is something like the following: No documentation found... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

Inquiry of .awo hidden dir with bin file inside .eeesync extension

Hi, Me i ask if someone knows about this hidden directory or it me knows where this dir associated with or in a program. I had and notices this .awo dir with bin files inside title 6770669_info.eeesync files in my directory. I wonder if this is associated with my backup program or any program... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL - Copying ONLY files from one dir to another

I'm writing a Perl script which has its 1st step as to copy files from one directory to another directory. The Source directory has got files with extension, without extension, directories etc. But I want to copy ONLY files with no extension. The files with extensions and directories should not get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhamaks
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync - how to copy hidden folder or hidden files when using full path

Hello. I use this command : rsync -av --include=".*" --dry-run "$A_FULL_PATH_S" "$A_FULL_PATH_D"The data comes from the output of a find command. And no full source directories are in use, only some files. Source example... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
2 Replies
Test::Dir(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    Test::Dir(3pm)

NAME
Test::Dir - test directory attributes SYNOPSIS
use Test::More ...; use Test::Dir; DESCRIPTION
This modules provides a collection of test utilities for directory attributes. Use it in combination with Test::More in your test programs. FUNCTIONS
dir_exists_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory exists, and not ok otherwise. dir_not_exists_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory does not exist, and not ok otherwise. dir_empty_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is empty (contains no files or subdirectories), and not ok otherwise. dir_not_empty_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is not empty, and not ok otherwise. dir_readable_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is readable, and not ok otherwise. dir_not_readable_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is not readable, and not ok otherwise. dir_writable_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is writable, and not ok otherwise. dir_not_writable_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is not writable, and not ok otherwise. dir_executable_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is executable, and not ok otherwise. dir_not_executable_ok(DIRNAME [, TESTNAME] ) Ok if the directory is not executable, and not ok otherwise. TO DO
I know there are a lot more directory attributes that can be tested. If you need them, please ask (or better yet, contribute code!). AUTHOR
Martin 'Kingpin' Thurn, "mthurn at cpan.org", <http://tinyurl.com/nn67z>. BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-test-dir at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=Test-Dir>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. SUPPORT
You can find documentation for this module with the perldoc command. perldoc Test::Dir You can also look for information at: o RT: CPAN's request tracker <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Test-Dir> o AnnoCPAN: Annotated CPAN documentation <http://annocpan.org/dist/Test-Dir> o CPAN Ratings <http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Test-Dir> o Search CPAN <http://search.cpan.org/dist/Test-Dir> ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright (C) 2007-2008 Martin 'Kingpin' Thurn This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2011-03-05 Test::Dir(3pm)