Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove non printing characters from file Post 302976368 by jgt on Tuesday 28th of June 2016 05:03:48 PM
Old 06-28-2016
The print file has a reset to 10 cpi at the beginning of every page.
Previously we were using smbclient with "translate -c" to convert the file from unix to dos, but when we changed to use netcat, it seems that the nulls are causing the record to be dropped.
I have tried variations of
Code:
s/\0031\0000//

with sed and vi to no avail.
What I would like is something like:
Code:
sed -f sed.inp <$file |netcat -h 192.168.1.1 -p 9100

---------- Post updated at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous update was at 04:49 PM ----------

figured it out.
Code:
tr -d "\036\000" <input >output

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to remove null characters from file?

I'm trying to remove the null characters from a file and copy it to std output. I'm using emacs and I create the following one line bash file (followed by the error messages): sed -e 's/^@//' <ConfigItemReplicator.install.log /usr/bin/bash: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siegfried
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from file name

Here is my code. for file in *1.3.html ; do mv "$file" `echo $file | tr '.1.3' ''` ; done For some reason I am getting an error. mv: file.idlesince.1.3.html and file.idlesince.1.3.html are identical Could this be done a different way? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove '^M' characters from a file.

Hi guys, Hope you are all well. This is a line of data from a csv file. I have used vi and set the 'set list' option to display the trailing $ character. "01","Grocery","01006","eat Fish & Spreads"$ I have tried the following commands, but neither of them appear to be working? 1) tr... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krispy
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove ^M characters from a zip file?

Hi All, As all of us know that while moving a file from Windows to Unix some unwanted ^M characters appear in the file. For my case I have release package in zip format which looks like Module_Name_Tag.zip. It contains some directory structure...like Module_Name_Tag.zip | |--trunk/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the characters from the file

Hi, I have one file in the following format. exa_resu_adj.4ge v.47645 PERSONAL INFORMAIONS PVT LTD 31 Dec 2009 04:36 Page 1 SALARY REPORT Account Account Name CCode Bill No Balance T Amt ----------- ------------ ------- ---------- ------------- ------------- 17490001 Mr Ram PM 10... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
6 Replies

6. Linux

Removing non printing characters from a csv file

Hi, I have an csv file and there are some non printable characters(extended ascii) so I am trying to create a clean copy of the csv file . I am using this command: tr -cd "" < /opt/informatica/PowerCenter8.6.0/server/infa_shared/SrcFiles/ThirdParty/locations.csv > ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerkus
4 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Remove new line characters from a file

I tried using below command tr -cd "" < InputFile.xml > output.txt ============= This removes all the tabs/newline/extra spaces from a file it successfully removed all the extra spaces,tabs and new line characters but then the complete file become one record. I want to retain one new line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saini
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from fixed length file

Hello I've question on the requirement I am working on. We are getting a fixed length file with "33" characters long. We are processing that file loading into DB. Now some times we are getting a file with "35" characters long. In this case I have to remove two characters (in 22,23... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: manasvi24
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from the file

i know , the below question has been repeated. can you guys guide me . I have the below input 999999 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 123.45 2013-05-02 08:14 1 1 1 xxxx 999999 xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 123.45 2013-06-02 02:14 1 4 1 dddd i need to remove from the column 54 to 70 , as like the below output.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: expert
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file

I want to remove 1st and last two characters of each line of the file Ex: file1 zzfile1ee @xfile2:y qfile3>> @ file4yy and redirect to the file called new Basically file will have any charcter including space, spical character... Please help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell1509
7 Replies
fixnt(1)							      Debian								  fixnt(1)

NAME
fixnt - Filter for the Windows NT postscript printer driver. SYNOPSIS
fixnt < BADFILE.ps > GOODFILE.ps DESCRIPTION
The Windows NT postscript driver has a tendency to make broken postscript files, that are incompatible with psutils. fixnt is a filter that fixes these problems, allowing the use of psnup(1). The filter takes the broken postscript file on stdin, and outputs a fixed postscript file on stdout. It has no other form for invocation and takes no options on the command-line. OPTIONS
fixnt takes no options. BUGS
fixnt does not check for NTPSOct94. For a workaround, use a sed(1) command to replace 'NTPSOct94' with 'NTPSOct95', like so: sed 's/NTPSOct94/NTPSOct95/g' This is particularly important for Windows NT 3.5 users. AUTHOR
fixnt was written by Holger Bauer <Holger.Bauer@topmail.de>, Michael Rath <rath@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>, and Akim Demaille <demaille@inf.enst.fr>. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to the Authors, but avoid sending large postscript files. Patches are always welcome; send to <bauer@itsm.uni-stuttgart.de>. SEE ALSO
psnup(1), sed(1) a2ps February 2003 fixnt(1)