Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to use grep in a loop using a bash script? Post 302976351 by Yoda on Tuesday 28th of June 2016 01:08:33 PM
Old 06-28-2016
Using awk:-
Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{A[$1];next}$1 in A' reference.txt data.txt

Using grep (no need to use cat):-
Code:
grep -f reference.txt data.txt

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Yoda For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop does not execute in bash script?

I have a very basic bash shell script, which has many "while... done; for .... done" loop clauses, like the following ~~ #!/bin/bash while blablalba; do .... done < /tmp/file for line in `cat blablabla`; do grep $line /tmp/raw ; done > /tmp/1; while blablalba2; do .... done <... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

error in bash script 'if' loop

SEND_MESSAGE=test echo $SEND_MESSAGE if then echo `date` > update_dt_ccaps.lst echo "The file transfer failed" >> update_dt_ccaps.lst SEND_MESSAGE=false fi The above code is showing error in bash shell as : ./test: line 5: [: test: integer expression expected ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting error on for loop - bash script

Hi, I am working on bash script after a long time. I am getting error near done statement while running a for loop snippet. The error says "Syntax error near unexpcted token 'done'" please suggest what could be wrong. here is the snippet elements=${#option_arr} //an array of values... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arundhati_s
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with multiple grep in bash loop

Hello, I am trying to create a matrix of 0's and 1's depending on whether a gene and sample name are found in the same line in a file called results.txt. An example of the results.txt file is (tab-delimited): Sample1 Gene1 ## Gene2 ## Sample2 Gene2 ## Gene 4 ## Sample3 Gene3 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: InfoSeeker2
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script called in loop from Bash Script

Having issues with an expect script. I've been scripting bash, python, etc... for a couple years now, but just started to try and use Expect. Trying to create a script that takes in some arguments, and then for now, just runs a pwd command(for testing, final will be command I pass). Here is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - loop question

Hi Folks, I have a loop that goes through an array and the output is funky. sample: array=( 19.239.211.30 ) for i in "${array}" do echo $i iperf -c $i -P 10 -x CSV -f b -t 50 | awk 'END{print '$i',$6}' >> $file done Output: 19.239.211.30 19.2390.2110.3 8746886 seems that when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrohuffer2001
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop with input in a bash script

I have the following while loop that I put in a script, demo.sh: while read rna; do aawork=$(echo "${rna}" | sed -n -e 's/\(...\)\1 /gp' | sed -f rna.sed) echo "$aawork" | sed 's/ //g' echo "$aawork" | tr ' ' '\012' | sort | sed '/^$/d' | uniq -c | sed 's/*\(*\) \(.*\)/\2: \... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: faizlo
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with date in bash script for loop from YYYYMMDDHHMM

Hi everyone I need some help I want to create an script which does some processing it takes the two arguments 201901010000 and 201901020200 - so YYYMMDDHHMM I want to split processing into hours from start until end, I dont get why this works but when I add to a future variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with a bash loop script

Create a single bash script that does the following: a. Print out the number of occurrences for each motif that is found in the bacterial genome and output to a file called motif_count.txt b. Create a fasta file for each motif (so 3 in total) which contains all of the genes and their... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dre
6 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)