Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers What is wrong with file permission? Post 302976337 by gull04 on Tuesday 28th of June 2016 08:44:24 AM
Old 06-28-2016
Hi,

You may need to set the permissions on the "/etc/security" directory, you may find that you don't have execute permissions set.

Regards

Gull04

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Permission

Hi, When I listed one directory in Sun, it showed that : -rwsr-xr-x 1 root bsmbin 78004 Oct 21 2004 bsmprsm I don't know meaning of the character "s" in "rws" above. I have searched in Sun admin documents but no result. Would you please explain it ? :) Thank you so much. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msg098
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

if [ -s $File ] ; Whats wrong in this ??

Subject="QM DOWN : Daily Monitoring Report " MAIL_RECIPIENTS="someone@some.where" dspmq > tempdspmq.txt.$$ cat tempdspmq.txt.$$ sed -n '/Running/p' tempdspmq.txt.$$ > temp cat temp if then echo "1 DONE" cat "$/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay/temp" | mailx -s "$Subject" $MAIL_RECIPIENTS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
5 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

file permission/acl: 2 users with write access on 1 file...

Hello, i need some help/advice on how to solve a particular problem. these are the users: |name | group | ---------- --------------- |boss | department1 | |assistant | department1 | |employee | department1 | |spy | department2 | this is the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elzalem
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

Wrong rotate permission

Hali All, I have a big problem. (REDHAT) I have a logrotate definition for wtmp: /var/log/wtmp { monthly minsize 1M create 0644 root utmp rotate 9 } There is a line for create the file with 0644 permission. If I run the definition manually it works as well, but when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalaso
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why result is wrong here ? whether break statement is wrong ?

Hi ! all I am just trying to check range in my datafile pls tell me why its resulting wrong admin@IEEE:~/Desktop$ cat test.txt 0 28.4 5 28.4 10 28.4 15 28.5 20 28.5 25 28.6 30 28.6 35 28.7 40 28.7 45 28.7 50 28.8 55 28.8 60 28.8 65 28.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File permission

Only kernel can write to a directory file. Then what does write permission for a directory imply? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysy
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File command return wrong filetype while file holds group separator char.

hi, I am trying to get the FileType using the File command. I have one file, which holds Group separator along with ASCII character. It's a Text file. But when I ran the File command the FileType is coming as "data". It should be "ASCII, Text file". Is the latest version of File... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arpitak29
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrong output when writing to file

Hello, I am having problem while redirecting output to a file where as on console output is proper. for dir in */; do printf "%s, " "$dir"; ls -m "$dir"; echo; done > output.txt Output of above command is coming in single line but when i am redirecting output to a file, single line i... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manoj Rajput
10 Replies

9. Solaris

File created with wrong timestamp

Hi All, We are working on solaris 10. I create a file using touch command and when list the file, it does not shows the right timestamp. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep_kmehra
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify lines with wrong format in a file and fix

Gurus, I have a data file which has a certain number of columns say 101. It has one description column which contains foreign characters and due to this some times, those special characters are translated to new line character and resulting in failing the process. I am using the following awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tumsri
4 Replies
STRMODE(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						STRMODE(3)

NAME
strmode -- convert inode status information into a symbolic string LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> void strmode(int mode, char *bp); DESCRIPTION
The strmode() function converts a file mode (the type and permission information associated with an inode, see stat(2)) into a symbolic string which is stored in the location referenced by bp. This stored string is eleven characters in length plus a trailing NUL. The first character is the inode type, and will be one of the following: - regular file b block special c character special d directory l symbolic link p fifo s socket w whiteout ? unknown inode type The next nine characters encode three sets of permissions, in three characters each. The first three characters are the permissions for the owner of the file, the second three for the group the file belongs to, and the third for the ``other'', or default, set of users. Permission checking is done as specifically as possible. If read permission is denied to the owner of a file in the first set of permis- sions, the owner of the file will not be able to read the file. This is true even if the owner is in the file's group and the group permis- sions allow reading or the ``other'' permissions allow reading. If the first character of the three character set is an ``r'', the file is readable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not read- able. If the second character of the three character set is a ``w'', the file is writable for that set of users; if a dash ``-'', it is not writable. The third character is the first of the following characters that apply: S If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the owner, and the set-user-id bit is set. S If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by the group, and the set-group-id bit is set. T If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is not executable or the directory is not searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. s If the character is part of the owner permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the owner, and the set- user-id bit is set. s If the character is part of the group permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by the group, and the set- group-id bit is set. t If the character is part of the other permissions and the file is executable or the directory searchable by others, and the ``sticky'' (S_ISVTX) bit is set. x The file is executable or the directory is searchable. - None of the above apply. The last character will always be a space. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), find(1), stat(2), getmode(3), setmode(3) HISTORY
The strmode() function first appeared in 4.4BSD. BSD
July 28, 1994 BSD