Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Implementing Listagg like function in shell Post 302976320 by prohank on Tuesday 28th of June 2016 05:02:51 AM
Old 06-28-2016
What I mean is, some tables are like:

Code:
B00000	1	...	abc
B00001	1	...	abc,def
B00001	2	...	ghi
B00001	2	...	jkl
B00002	1	...	abc
B00002	2	...	def
B00003	1	...	xyz

Can we edit the code such that we can pass which columns should be comma-separated and which not?

In the table that I gave now, I may not need to remove duplicates from the second column but only from the last column or vice versa.

Possible solutions are:
Code:
B00000	1	...	abc
B00001	1,2	...	abc,def,ghi,jkl
B00002	1,2	...	abc,def
B00003	1	...	xyz

Code:
B00000	1	...	abc
B00001	1	...	abc,def
B00001	2	...	ghi,jkl
B00002	1	...	abc
B00002	2	...	def
B00003	1	...	xyz

Basically, the syntax would be like:
Code:
awk 'command' arguments(specifying columns to be comma-separated) file

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Implementing a shell

I'm implementing a shell in C that supports piping, output redirection, and background processing, and a few other commands. I was wondering how I'd go about implementing the output redirection. So, I'd open a file and I'd fork and execute the command. But how would I get stdout into the file? Any... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ununium
10 Replies

2. Programming

need help in implementing simple interactive shell in C

hello all, i hv attached herewith my program to implement a simple interactive shell in C. no matter hw hard I try, I keep getting some errors. i need help - urgently !! proj1test7.c: In function `parseCommand': proj1test7.c:102: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nix1209
2 Replies

3. Programming

Implementing a shell in C

Hi, I am implementing a shell in C, with the following problem... Suppose the shell is invoked from the command line as >> myshell < test.in > test.out 2>&1 I have to execute the commands in test.in and redirect them to test.out How does one detect in the main function that the shell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacques83
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

implementing mkdir, chdir, mv, pwd inside a shell !

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: need to implement mkdir, chdir, mv, pwd given a shell.cpp directory.cpp and some other files this shell missing these commands, and i need to implement them inside the shell 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: evantheking
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Implementing Queue Using Shell scripts

HI I want to implement a control mechanism using Shell scripts .The intention is to have controlled number of jobs running in parallel External process will kickstart 40 jobs in parallel .All the 40 jobs will call the same generic script with different parameter values .But at a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: police
4 Replies

6. Programming

Problem with implementing the times() function in C (struct tms times return zero/negative values)

Hello, i'm trying to implement the times() function and i'm programming in C. I'm using the "struct tms" structure which consists of the fields: The tms_utime structure member is the CPU time charged for the execution of user instructions of the calling process. The tms_stime structure... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g_p
1 Replies

7. Programming

Implementing function outside struct

I have this code where I have declared a struct with some functions. Trying to write the function implementation outside the struct declaration and do not know how to proceed. #ifndef ParseEl_hh #define ParseEl_hh #include <iostream> #include <fstream> #include "DynBaseObj.hh"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help implementing a timout in my Shell Script for RHEL6

Hey Guys, My problem: I have a script that will be querying the database every minute to see if it gets a response, the response its querying for is "UP" in a table i made called dbup in the database. Now, I am trying to add the component to implement a timeout if the script does not get a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo_VERTICASQL
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Implementing linked list in shell scripting

Hello Experts, Is it possible to implement linked list in shell scripting? is yes then how can we do it? Any working example is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

DB2 Query modification to remove duplicate values using LISTAGG function

I am using DB2 v9 and trying to get country values in comma seperated format using below query SELECT distinct LISTAGG(COUNTRIES, ',') WITHIN GROUP(ORDER BY EMPLOYEE) FROM LOCATION ; Output Achieved MEXICO,UNITED STATES,INDIA,JAPAN,UNITED KINGDOM,MEXICO,UNITED STATES The table... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
4 Replies
PAGESIZES(5)							File Formats Manual						      PAGESIZES(5)

NAME
pagesizes - HylaFAX page size definitions DESCRIPTION
The pagesizes database defines the page dimensions and guaranteed reproducible areas (GRA) for well-known page sizes. The GRA is the por- tion of the page that is guaranteed to be imaged during facsimile transmission. This region is typically less than the full page dimen- sions because of paper roller contacts and other mechanical aspects of the printing process in a facsimile machine. All HylaFAX programs that require page size information read the information from this database using a page size name. Documents should be prepared such that the full page dimensions are employed with the imaged area contained within the GRA. The system-wide default page size to use in preparing documents for transmission is given by the ``default'' entry in the database. (NB: the default entry should be placed last so that inverse matches find the real page size name and not the default entry.) The page size database is an ASCII file with the following format. Each entry consists of whitespace-separated fields: name abbrev width height gra-width gra-height top-margin left-margin Fields have the following interpretation: name the full name for the page size; e.g. ISO A4; abbrev an abbreviated version of the full name for use in compact listings such as the receive queue listing printed by faxstat(1); width the full width of the page; height the full height of the page; gra-width the width of the GRA; gra-height the height of the GRA; top-margin the margin between the top of the full page and the top of the GRA; left-margin the margin between the left side of the full page the left side of the GRA. The first two fields must be separated from the subsequent fields by a tab character (possibly followed by more whitespace); this is done to easily permit blank characters to be included in names. Otherwise fields can be separated by any amount of any kind of whitespace. Numbers are all base 10 and in basic measurement units (BMU); defined as 1/1200 x 25.4 millimeters for paper output with a scale factor of one. All fields must be present on a single line; otherwise the entry is ignored. Comments are introduced by the ``#'' character and con- tinue to the end the line. Page size database lookups are either by name or by page dimensions. Lookups by name are done by sequentially scanning the entries in the database for the first entry that has a matching abbreviation or substring of the page size name field. The string comparisons ignore case so, for example, ``a4'' would match a full name of ``ISO A4''. Lookups by dimension scan the entire database and return the page with the closest dimensions using a straightforward distance metric. If the difference in dimensions of the closest match is greater than 1/2 inch on each side, then no page entry is returned for a lookup by dimension. SEE ALSO
hylafax-client(1), faxmail(1), faxstat(1), sendfax(1), sgi2fax(1), textfmt(1). December 5, 1994 PAGESIZES(5)