Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Text manipulation help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Text manipulation help Post 302976038 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 22nd of June 2016 09:05:13 PM
Old 06-22-2016
Please show us the output you are hoping to get from the sample data you provided. The formats shown for some of the fields do not match the heading preceding them and I can't tell if you are trying to copy data given or perform data translation functions as well as text manipulations.

And, please post you output in CODE tags too; not just your input.

What code have you come up with while trying to do this on your own?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text Manipulation.

Hi I have only ever used awk and sed for basic requirements up until now. I have had to break a log down for multiple purposes. Using awk, sed and a date script. I am left with this: (message id, time of msg attempt, message id, domain name, time of msg completion) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Icepick
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text manipulation

I am tryin to figure out how to extract interested text from file example.txt blah blah blah a: child1 blah a: child2 blah b: parent1 blah blah blah .... blah a: child21 blah a: child22 blah a: child23 blah b: parent2 this kinda text repeats .. number of children is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajkishore
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with text manipulation

Hi there, I have some text files in unix format that processed by a program in windows, and when I open them with less or vi in linux, a warn for opening binary file is prompted, and as shown in vi, between every two characters there was inserted a "^@". How can I fix this. Plus, there are over... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dustinwang2003
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Manipulation

Greetings. Iīm a biologist and I donīt have mucho knowledge on Unix/Linux, but I need to use Cygwin to change some documents from a GenBank format to a FASTA format. GenBank format goes somthing like this: LOCUS NM_013964 2568 bp mRNA linear PRI 26-APR-2009... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesa1230
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[HELP] Text manipulation... [HELP]

I need to know how can I remove all word after comma on each line. Like: jjkj,iiuiui,ijlkjkij,ookoo kijljlj,jhhkj,ijijkijkj,oijkijj kjkljlkj,kjkjlkjlkj,opok,okop to jjkj, kijljlj, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: slutb3
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

text manipulation help

Hello again unix.com How can I extract from a large file in format: steve@aol.com steve hawkins Location of this member is bla bla bla sun@hotmail.com Sun Ying This member is using browser bla bla bla to another text in format: steve@aol.com steve hawkins sun@hotmail.com sun ying ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text Manipulation Help

Hello Unix.com, I have a text in format: john sara lee How can I make it: john:john john:john1 john:john12 john:john123 sara:sara sara:sara12 sara:sara123 and so on (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation help

Hello unix.com users, I have a ip file (line-by-line). How can I delete the ips that keep repeating by mark XXX.XXX.XXX.* ... I want to erase only the lines that keep repeating more than 2 times. Example: 1.2.3.1 1.2.3.2 1.2.3.3 I want to erase all ips blocks that are repeating by C... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Text manipulation

i want to generate a list line-by-line of normal characters using letters . for example : dnds gnos mgod pets jnfp etc... i want to use all letters with all the posibilities is there a script that can do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suppliernr1
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help text manipulation

Hello Forum , I need a help about text manupulation. I have a text file and I have to manipulate this file. Let's say source.txt source.txt UNB+UNOC:3+O0013000005MAN MN RVS:91+0098006688:92+190304:2313+F004169241' UNH+8146848+DELJIT:D:96A:UN' BGM+307:::JIS_SYNCRO_FIRM+2019030423234101+9'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cemokam65
8 Replies
HTML::FormatRTF(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					HTML::FormatRTF(3)

NAME
HTML::FormatRTF - Format HTML as RTF VERSION
version 2.11 SYNOPSIS
use HTML::FormatRTF; my $out_file = "test.rtf"; open(RTF, ">$out_file") or die "Can't write-open $out_file: $! Aborting"; print RTF HTML::FormatRTF->format_file( 'test.html', 'fontname_headings' => "Verdana", ); close(RTF); DESCRIPTION
HTML::FormatRTF is a class for objects that you use to convert HTML to RTF. There is currently no proper support for tables or forms. This is a subclass of HTML::Formatter, whose documentation you should consult for more information on underlying methods such as "new", "format", "format_file" etc You can specify any of the following parameters in the call to "new", "format_file", or "format_string": lm Amount of extra indenting to apply to the left margin, in twips (twentieths of a point). Default is 0. So if you wanted the left margin to be an additional half inch larger, you'd set "lm => 720" (since there's 1440 twips in an inch). If you wanted it to be about 1.5cm larger, you'd set "lw => 850" (since there's about 567 twips in a centimeter). rm Amount of extra indenting to apply to the left margin, in twips (twentieths of a point). Default is 0. normal_halfpoint_size This is the size of normal text in the document, in half-points. The default value is 22, meaning that normal text is in 11 point. header_halfpoint_size This is the size of text used in the document's page-header, in half-points. The default value is 17, meaning that normal text is in 7.5 point. Currently, the header consists just of "p.pagenumber" in the upper-right-hand corner, and cannot be disabled. head1_halfpoint_size ... head6_halfpoint_size These control the font size of each heading level, in half-twips. For example, the default for head3_halfpoint_size is 25, meaning that HTML "<h3>...</h3>" text will be in 12.5 point text (in addition to being underlined and in the heading font). codeblock_halfpoint_size This controls the font size (in half-points) of the text used for "<pre>...</pre>" text. By default, it is 18, meaning 9 point. fontname_body This option controls what font is to be used for the body of the text -- that is, everything other than heading text and text in pre/code/tt elements. The default value is currently "Times". Other handy values I can suggest using are "Georgia" or "Bookman Old Style". fontname_code This option controls what font is to be used for text in pre/code/tt elements. The default value is currently "Courier New". fontname_headings This option controls what font name is to be used for headings. You can use the same font as fontname_body, but I prefer a sans-serif font, so the default value is currently "Arial". Also consider "Tahoma" and "Verdana". document_language This option controls what Microsoft language number will be specified as the language for this document. The current default value is 1033, for US English. Consult an RTF reference for other language numbers. hr_width This option controls how many underline characters will be used for rendering a "<hr>" tag. Its default value is currently 50. You can usually leave this alone, but under some circumstances you might want to use a smaller or larger number. no_prolog If this option is set to a true value, HTML::FormatRTF will make a point of not emitting the RTF prolog before the document. By default, this is off, meaning that HTML::FormatRTF will emit the prolog. This option is of interest only to advanced users. no_trailer If this option is set to a true value, HTML::FormatRTF will make a point of not emitting the RTF trailer at the end of the document. By default, this is off, meaning that HTML::FormatRTF will emit the bit of RTF that ends the document. This option is of interest only to advanced users. SEE ALSO
HTML::Formatter, RTF::Writer INSTALLATION
See perlmodinstall for information and options on installing Perl modules. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
You can make new bug reports, and view existing ones, through the web interface at <http://rt.cpan.org/Public/Dist/Display.html?Name=HTML-Format>. AVAILABILITY
The project homepage is <https://metacpan.org/release/HTML-Format>. The latest version of this module is available from the Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN). Visit <http://www.perl.com/CPAN/> to find a CPAN site near you, or see <https://metacpan.org/module/HTML::Format/>. AUTHORS
o Nigel Metheringham <nigelm@cpan.org> o Sean M Burke <sburke@cpan.org> o Gisle Aas <gisle@ActiveState.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
This software is copyright (c) 2013 by Nigel Metheringham, 2002-2005 Sean M Burke, 1999-2002 Gisle Aas. This is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as the Perl 5 programming language system itself. perl v5.18.2 2017-10-06 HTML::FormatRTF(3)