Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to delete items in an array from a file Post 302976022 by bash_in_my_head on Wednesday 22nd of June 2016 02:30:40 PM
Old 06-22-2016
sed to delete items in an array from a file

I need to create a shell script to delete multiple items (Strings) at a time from a file.

I need to iterate through a list of strings.

My plan is to create an array and then iterate through the array.
My code is not working
Code:
#!/bin/bash -x

declare -a array=(one, two, three, four)

for element in "${array[@]}"
do
    sed "s/"$element"//g" input
    #awk "{gsub("$element", "");print}" input
done

the file input contains
one
two
three
four

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete line in file with sed

sed "/$titlesearch/d" movielist will delete any line in the file movielist that matches $titlesearch, but this is only a screen print correct ? how can I have sed to actually delete the line from the file so that it doesnt appear next time I open the file ? thanks Steffen (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete particular value from file using 'sed'

Hi, I have two files test1,test2. If the number in test1 file exist in test2 then i want to remove that from test2 file. Ex: File- test1 12 13 14 15 ============== File- test2 1A~12 2B~13 3C~33 4D~22 I want to remove row which contains 12,13 from test2. I am using this sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_nj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk between items including items

OS=HP-UX ksh The following works, except I want to include the <start> and <end> in the output. awk -F '<start>' 'BEGIN{RS="<end>"; OFS="\n"; ORS=""} {print $2} somefile.log' The following work in bash but not in ksh sed -n '/^<start>/,/^<end>/{/LABEL$/!p}' somefile.log (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ikon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete \n in a large file with sed

Hello i have a big file with a specific format and delimiter is "§" : §field1§$field2§$field3§$field4§$field5§$field6§$field§ in this file we have a field which are very long (more than 20000 chars !!!!) so through vi i cant manipulate them. despite this i managed to suppress lines that... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ade05fr
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed how to delete between two words within a file

I'm hoping someone could help me out please :) I have several .txt files with several hundred lines in each that look like this: 10241;</td><td>10241</td><td class="b">x2801;</td><td>2801</td><td>TEXT-1</td></tr> 10242;</td><td>10242</td><td... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: martinsmith
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - delete everything from the first IP in the file

Hi, I have a text file with content as follows: servers list ips 10.10.10.1 test 2 3 4 desktop station 10.10.10.3 4 test 4 laptops quesy 2013 2012 10.100.18.0 test 4 6 8 all I need is: servers list ips desktop station laptops quesy 2013 2012All I need is the correct command or script that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add items to ksh array

Hi I need a code help put below items in to array and display in order like this Thanks, Ashan 0AD4 R2 03A1 000198701333 0AD4 R1 270B 000198701616 ------ 0AD4 R2 03A1 000198701333 0AD4 R1 270B 000198701616 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashanabey
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device

Hi , In file first line start with "",when trying to remove using sed i am getting the below error .Please advise sed -e 's///g' -e 's/$]//g' segment1.txt >>segment_m1 sed: couldn't write 1378 items to stdout: No space left on device Thanks, Mohan (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan705
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate items from an array

Hello Experts, I am trying to write a shell script to find duplicate items in an array, this is what i have tried : #!/bin/bash echo "This is another sample Progg to remove duplicate items from an array" echo "How many number do you want to insert" read n for (( i=0; i<$n; i++ )) do ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass an array to awk to sequentially look for a list of items in a file

Hello, I need to collect some statistical results from a series of files that are being generated by other software. The files are tab delimited. There are 4 different sets of statistics in each file where there is a line indicating what the statistic set is, followed by 5 lines of values. It... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies
COLLATOR_SORT(3)							 1							  COLLATOR_SORT(3)

Collator::sort - Sort array using specified collator

Object oriented style

SYNOPSIS
public bool Collator::sort (array &$arr, [int $sort_flag]) DESCRIPTION
Procedural style bool collator_sort (Collator $coll, array &$arr, [int $sort_flag]) This function sorts an array according to current locale rules. Equivalent to standard PHP sort(3) . PARAMETERS
o $coll -Collator object. o $arr - Array of strings to sort. o $sort_flag - Optional sorting type, one of the following: o Collator::SORT_REGULAR - compare items normally (don't change types) o Collator::SORT_NUMERIC - compare items numerically o Collator::SORT_STRING - compare items as strings Default sorting type is Collator::SORT_REGULAR. It is also used if an invalid $sort_flag value has been specified. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 collator_sort(3) example <?php $coll = collator_create( 'en_US' ); $arr = array( 'at', 'as', 'as' ); var_export( $arr ); collator_sort( $coll, $arr ); var_export( $arr ); ?> The above example will output: array ( 0 => 'at', 1 => 'as', 2 => 'as', )array ( 0 => 'as', 1 => 'as', 2 => 'at', ) SEE ALSO
Collator constants, collator_asort(3), collator_sort_with_sort_keys(3). PHP Documentation Group COLLATOR_SORT(3)