Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function Post 302975984 by aderamos12 on Wednesday 22nd of June 2016 04:55:59 AM
Old 06-22-2016
Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All,

I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and
put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance.

Code:
 readtasklist() {
while read -r mod ver tarfile; do    
    case "$mod" in
     module | plugin ) ;;
    *) "unknown module: '$mod'";;
    esac
 checkversion "$mod" "$ver" "$tarfile"
done < taskfile.txt
}

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 06-22-2016 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: Added code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable name to be created within a function

Is it possible to pass a variable name, as a parameter to a function, so it can be created within this function ? Something like this: func_uppercase abcdefgh var_name where the 1st parameter is the string I want to convert and the 2nd is the desired variable name... $2=`echo "$1" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing variable to function

Hi, I am trying to sum up numbered columns and in order to tidy up the program I have wrote a function to do the adding of some numbers. I have a problem though with passing a variable to the function in the UNIX bash shell. The function only gives the first number in the variable list and does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Knotty
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a unix variable value to a Plsql function

Suppose I have a unix variable called RGNM which is holding a value. Now I want to call a plsql function in my script. THis plsql function takes one IN parameter. I want to pass my UNIX VARIABLE Value to the plsql function. Can i just give it by giving $RGNM in the function after calling sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the parameters using a function

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting required some help in passing the parameter value to the shell script. I am writing a shell script, in the script I have created two functions as below. first function get_trend_ids () { Here I am connecting to the database and getting all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable content to a function

following on from below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 i will be using file reading in while loop say for example while read line123 do echo "line read is $line123" insert_funct $line123 done< mysqldump.sql... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from one function to another

Hi all, In the given script code . I want to pass the maximum value that variable "i" will have in function DivideJobs () to variable $max of function SubmitCondorJob(). Any help? Thanks #!/bin/bash ... (55 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
55 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Input To Function

May i please know why is it printing the script name for $0 when i pass those parameters to function. #!/bin/bash -x usage() { echo "In Usage Function" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 } echo "printing first time" echo $0 echo $1 echo $2 usage $0 $1 $2 Output: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ariean
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass variable from one function to another function?

updateEnvironmentField() { linewithoutquotes=`echo $LINE | tr -d '"'` b() } I want to pass variable named $linewithoutquotes to another method called b(), which is called from updateEnvironmentField() method. How to do the above requirement with shell script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pottic
1 Replies
deb-old(5)                                                          dpkg suite                                                          deb-old(5)

NAME
deb-old - old style Debian binary package format SYNOPSIS
filename.deb DESCRIPTION
The .deb format is the Debian binary package file format. This manual page describes the old format, used before Debian 0.93. Please see deb(5) for details of the new format. FORMAT
The file is two lines of format information as ASCII text, followed by two concatenated gzipped ustar files. The first line is the format version number padded to 8 digits, and is 0.939000 for all old-format archives. The second line is a decimal string (without leading zeroes) giving the length of the first gzipped tarfile. Each of these lines is terminated with a single newline character. The first tarfile contains the control information, as a series of ordinary files. The file control must be present, as it contains the core control information. In some very old archives, the files in the control tarfile may optionally be in a DEBIAN subdirectory. In that case, the DEBIAN subdirectory will be in the control tarfile too, and the control tarfile will have only files in that directory. Optionally the control tarfile may contain an entry for '.', that is, the current directory. The second gzipped tarfile is the filesystem archive, containing pathnames relative to the root directory of the system to be installed on. The pathnames do not have leading slashes. SEE ALSO
deb(5), dpkg-deb(1), deb-control(5). 1.19.0.5 2018-04-16 deb-old(5)