Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to remove empty line.?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to remove empty line.? Post 302975924 by ken6503 on Tuesday 21st of June 2016 02:16:18 PM
Old 06-21-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
Another variation
Code:
while read p
do
  [ -n "$p" ] && para="$para,'$p'"
done < file
para=${para#,}

---
Small correction to MadeInGermany's suggestion:
Code:
para="${para:+"${para}",}'$p'"

Thanks Scrutinizer,
the code works. one more question raised while running the scrpt.
when running code, using "$p". it works.
Code:
while read p
do
[ -n "$p" ] && para="$para,'$p'"
done < file
para=${para#,}

when running code
Code:
 [ -n $p ],

it doesn't work. the blank line is still there.

what's different between
Code:
[ -n $p ]

and
Code:
[ -n "$p" ]

?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-21-2016 at 03:30 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove empty directory

Hi, I need to delete an empty directory in a temp directory except "dir5" (keep everything that is not empty). Plese advise. Here is an example of my directory. /dir/temp/ dir1 - delete if this is empty dir2 - delete if this is empty dir3 - delete if this is empty dir4 - delete if this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirrtuan
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove only Empty Directories

I know this one was answered before in forum below - https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/58210-removing-empty-folders-using-find-command.html But that one is closed & I have a question so here it goes. I want to delete all 2006 files. Now if along with the files, if the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedar.mehta
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using vi -c to remove empty lines

Hello: I searched here for "vi -c" but found no hits. How can I use vi -c to remove ALL empty lines, regardless of how many? I tried <code> vi -c ":g/^$/d | wq" filename </code> but I have to run it several times. This is NOT homework. :) Thanks for your time. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Habitual
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fill the empty line by adding line before blank line

FIle A "A" 2 aa 34 3 ac 5 cd "B" 3 hu 67 4 fg 5 gy output shud be A"" 2 aa 34 "A" 3 ac 34 "A" 5 cd 34 "B" 3 hu 67 "B" 4 fg 67 "B" 5 gy 67 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove empty line and the next one

Hi all, I'm trying to remove when this condition is met: an empty and the next one I'm using this command: sed '/^$/N; s/&//' file Which searches for an empty line, N attaches it to the next line, and substituing the combination with nothing.... but it is not working. What I'm missing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meuser
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

remove empty field

Hi all ! I'm sure it is a basic question but I didn't find any threads that fit my need. How to remove empty fields with awk? Or in other words, how to shift all the fields after an empty field on the left? input: 1|2||3|4|5||6 wanted: 1|2|3|4|5|6 I tried: awk '{for(i=1; i<=NF;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove empty records

Hello: Is there a simple way to remove empty records of FASTA format file? A FASTA format consists of two parts: header and sequence (for non-biologist, Wiki for details of course!). The header always start with ">" for the name of the sequence. The header must be in this ONLY single line.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove CR only on empty lines

Dear community, I have two output files that contains some CR # cat first.out 1234567890 598679857648566 9 1234567234 365837465873465 4 2342343243 289374982374894 4 # cat second.out 2342342342 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using awk to remove duplicate line if field is empty

Hi all, I've got a file that has 12 fields. I've merged 2 files and there will be some duplicates in the following: FILE: 1. ABC, 12345, TEST1, BILLING, GV, 20/10/2012, C, 8, 100, AA, TT, 100 2. ABC, 12345, TEST1, BILLING, GV, 20/10/2012, C, 8, 100, AA, TT, (EMPTY) 3. CDC, 54321, TEST3,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugar
4 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)