Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Hierarchical Query for Sybase database Post 302975912 by Perlbaby on Tuesday 21st of June 2016 10:52:31 AM
Old 06-21-2016
Hierarchical Query for Sybase database

Team

I am using DBartisan tool for sybase database.
I have a table that has below fields Employee_ID,EMP_Name,First_Nm,Last_Nm,Emp_Designation,Employee's_Manager
is it possible to retrieve hierarchical data based on below fields
Emp_Designation will have Soft Engg,SSE,Team Lead, Architect,Vice President,President,CEO etc
Employee's_Manager names are again referred under EMP_Name where again he would be reporting to another manager under
"Employee's_Manager" column

Will it be possible to retrieve hierarchical data based on above fields/values by comparing to Employee's_Manager designation
Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Perlbaby; 06-21-2016 at 12:03 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connect to sybase database using Korn shell script

Hi, Can anyone please give me a script or let me know how to connect to a sybase database and execute a query using Korn shell scripts.Am new to Unix but i need to do this ASAP. Please help. Thanks, Gops (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhgopi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic update loop query on Sybase database

Hello Guys, I'm new to Shell scripting, and i need someone to help me with this issue: I'm trying to do a dynamic update query on Sysbase database table using shell script. Lets say, the Update query is "update Table set id=X" , where X is dynamic value for the loop index. If the loop is... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alaeddin
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print out loop index on the console after executing each sybase DB query

Hello Guys, Well, using shell script, I'm doing loop on DB query as below: isql -Usa -Ptest -I /opt/sybase/interfaces << EOF use testdb go declare @i int select @i = 1 while(@i <= 5) begin Insert into TEST values (@i,"Test","TestDesc") select @i = @i + 1 end go EOF The Issue... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alaeddin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Database Query

Hi, Am using informix database. When i give "isqlrf <database name> - " from the command prompt , i get connected to the database and i can run sql queries.. I am moving to freeBSD and when i give the same command at the prompt i get an error : Index already exists on column Why is this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
0 Replies

5. Programming

Need help with complex SQL query (Sybase)

Hello, I have three tables. I need an SQL query (preferably Sybase) that will return all of the stringID values of table B where the following conditions exist: (1) B.intID = A.intID (2) B.intID != C.intID or (B.intID = C.intID and (C.v1 = 0 or C.v2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatieremerrill
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

how to connect to sybase database?

hi, I'd like to connect to a Sybase ASE 12 through a a graphic user interface (GUI) that run on windows and solaris10, because i need to do some querys. The database is running on solaris 10. I'm not an expert using databases, but i know how to use some SQL commands through command line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: danin
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute stored procedure through script in sybase database and store the output in a .csv file

Hi, I have a sybase stored procedure which takes two input parameters (start_date and end_date) and when it get executed, it gives few records as an output. I want to write a unix script (ksh) which login to the sybase database, then execute this stored procedure (takes the input parameter as... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit.mathur08
8 Replies

8. Programming

Sybase ASE: Query to find correct format issue.

Hi Team , I am new to Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.7 (ASE) and need some guidance to find the different values in serial format column. SELECT DISTINCT SERIAL_FORMAT FROM PRODUCTS It has values with below format which contains 12 digits hexadecimal characters with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
2 Replies

9. Programming

Sybase ASE - Query Tuning - Need Suggestion

Dear Team Please provide suggestion on below query which is used in Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.7 (ASE). Query takes more time > 30 Mins to 1 Hr All required indexes are built Can we have any efficient approach to get the data retrieval faster for below query.Any help... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perlbaby
0 Replies
COMMENT(7)							   SQL Commands 							COMMENT(7)

NAME
COMMENT - define or change the comment of an object SYNOPSIS
COMMENT ON [ TABLE object_name | COLUMN table_name.column_name | AGGREGATE agg_name (agg_type) | CONSTRAINT constraint_name ON table_name | DATABASE object_name | DOMAIN object_name | FUNCTION func_name (arg1_type, arg2_type, ...) | INDEX object_name | OPERATOR op (leftoperand_type, rightoperand_type) | RULE rule_name ON table_name | SCHEMA object_name | SEQUENCE object_name | TRIGGER trigger_name ON table_name | TYPE object_name | VIEW object_name ] IS 'text' INPUTS object_name, The name of the object to be be commented. Names of tables, aggregates, domains, functions, indexes, operators, sequences, types, and views may be schema-qualified. text The comment to add. OUTPUTS COMMENT Message returned if the table is successfully commented. DESCRIPTION
COMMENT stores a comment about a database object. Comments can be easily retrieved with psql's dd, d+, or l+ commands. Other user interfaces to retrieve comments can be built atop the same built-in functions that psql uses, namely obj_description() and col_descrip- tion(). To modify a comment, issue a new COMMENT command for the same object. Only one comment string is stored for each object. To remove a com- ment, write NULL in place of the text string. Comments are automatically dropped when the object is dropped. Note: There is presently no security mechanism for comments: any user connected to a database can see all the comments for objects in that database (although only superusers can change comments for objects that they don't own). Therefore, don't put security-crit- ical information in comments. USAGE
Attach a comment to the table mytable: COMMENT ON TABLE mytable IS 'This is my table.'; Remove it again: COMMENT ON TABLE mytable IS NULL; Some more examples: COMMENT ON AGGREGATE my_aggregate (double precision) IS 'Computes sample variance'; COMMENT ON COLUMN my_table.my_field IS 'Employee ID number'; COMMENT ON DATABASE my_database IS 'Development Database'; COMMENT ON DOMAIN my_domain IS 'Email Address Domain'; COMMENT ON FUNCTION my_function (timestamp) IS 'Returns Roman Numeral'; COMMENT ON INDEX my_index IS 'Enforces uniqueness on employee id'; COMMENT ON OPERATOR ^ (text, text) IS 'Performs intersection of two texts'; COMMENT ON OPERATOR ^ (NONE, text) IS 'This is a prefix operator on text'; COMMENT ON RULE my_rule ON my_table IS 'Logs UPDATES of employee records'; COMMENT ON SCHEMA my_schema IS 'Departmental data'; COMMENT ON SEQUENCE my_sequence IS 'Used to generate primary keys'; COMMENT ON TABLE my_schema.my_table IS 'Employee Information'; COMMENT ON TRIGGER my_trigger ON my_table IS 'Used for R.I.'; COMMENT ON TYPE complex IS 'Complex Number datatype'; COMMENT ON VIEW my_view IS 'View of departmental costs'; COMPATIBILITY
SQL92 There is no COMMENT in SQL92. SQL - Language Statements 2002-11-22 COMMENT(7)