Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert Text after one, two, three lines & so on.. Post 302975806 by imranrasheedamu on Sunday 19th of June 2016 05:15:12 AM
Old 06-19-2016
I have a collection of files like this

File1.txt
Colorado woman pries
open mountain lion's jaws to rescue son
Summoned by the sound of screams, a Colorado woman raced to her frontyard to find a terrifying sight -- a mountain lion was hunched over her 5-year-old son, biting him.

File2.txt
Hillary's lead over Trump has narrowed after Orlando shooting
Donald Trump chipped away at Hillary Clinton’s lead in the presidential race this week, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday, as the candidates clashed over how to respond to the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.

and I need to insert tag to all files something like this

File1.txt
<heading>
Colorado woman pries
open mountain lion's jaws to rescue son
</heading>
<text>
Summoned by the sound of screams, a Colorado woman raced to her frontyard to find a terrifying sight -- a mountain lion was hunched over her 5-year-old son, biting him.
</text>

File2.txt
<heading>
Hillary's lead over Trump has narrowed after Orlando shooting
</heading>
<text>
Donald Trump chipped away at Hillary Clinton’s lead in the presidential race this week, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Friday, as the candidates clashed over how to respond to the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history.
</text>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert some constant text at beginig of each line within a text file.

Dear Folks :), I am new to UNIX scripting and I do not know how can I insert some text in the first column of a UNIX text file at command promtp. I can do this in vi editor by using this command :g/^/s//BBB_ e,g I have a file named as Test.dat and it containins below text: michal... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Afzal
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to insert text between lines of an existing file using perl

Hi , I need some inputs on how to open a file (file.txt) and parse the text example aaa of the file and bbb of the file and add the text zzzz once i parse (aaa and bbb) and followed by the remaining of the text as it is in the file using perl programming. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhul2002
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert Text on lines having the string word

I need help on how I can accomplish my task. I hope someone can help me since I've researching and trying to accomplish this for hours now. Basically, I need to comment-out (or insert a # sign in the beginning of the line) a line when the line has the specific word I am searching. Example I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to Insert values in multiple lines(records) within a pipe delimited text file in specific cols

this is Korn shell unix. The scenario is I have a pipe delimited text file which needs to be customized. say for example,I have a pipe delimited text file with 15 columns(| delimited) and 200 rows. currently the 11th and 12th column has null values for all the records(there are other null columns... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasan2815
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a variable to a text file after fixed number of lines

Hi, I am new to unix. I need to insert a variable which contains some lines of text into a text file after fixed number of lines.. Please help me on this.. Thanks in Advance, Amrutha (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amr89
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed insert text 2 lines above pattern

Hi I am trying to insert a block of text 2 lines above a pattern match using sed eg #Start of file entry { } #End of file entry new bit of text has to be put in just above the } eg #Start of file entry { New bit of text } #End of file entry (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: eeisken
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing 2 text files & downloading a file if the last lines are different

Hello I'm having a little difficulty in writing a shell script for a few simple tasks. First I have two files "file1.txt" and "file2.txt" and I want to read and compare the last line of each file. The files look like this. File1.txt File2.txt After comparing the two lines I would... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RustikGaming
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert text before first 'n' lines

I want to put a particular text, say, the hash '#' before each of the first n lines of a file. How can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hbar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed; insert text two lines above match

Hi! Considering below text, how would I use sed to insert text right below the v0005-line, using the SEPARATOR-line as a pattern to search for, so two lines above the separator? I can do it right above the separator, but not 2 lines... # v0004 - Some text # v0005 - More text #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: indo1144
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to insert text between lines

Hello, I am trying to insert a section of text between lines in another text file. The new lines to be inserted are: abcd.efgh.zzzz=blah abcd.efgh.xxxx=blah Where N = 0 to 2 Original File: abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb abcd.efgh.wwxx=aaaaa abcd.efgh.yyzz=bbbbb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsu3000
3 Replies
GET_PARENT_CLASS(3)							 1						       GET_PARENT_CLASS(3)

get_parent_class - Retrieves the parent class name for object or class

SYNOPSIS
string get_parent_class ([mixed $object]) DESCRIPTION
Retrieves the parent class name for object or class. PARAMETERS
o $object - The tested object or class name. This parameter is optional if called from the object's method. RETURN VALUES
Returns the name of the parent class of the class of which $object is an instance or the name. Note If the object does not have a parent or the class given does not exist FALSE will be returned. If called without parameter outside object, this function returns FALSE. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.1.0 | | | | | | | If called without parameter outside object, this | | | function would have returned NULL with a warning, | | | but now returns FALSE. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using get_parent_class(3) <?php class dad { function dad() { // implements some logic } } class child extends dad { function child() { echo "I'm " , get_parent_class($this) , "'s son "; } } class child2 extends dad { function child2() { echo "I'm " , get_parent_class('child2') , "'s son too "; } } $foo = new child(); $bar = new child2(); ?> The above example will output: I'm dad's son I'm dad's son too SEE ALSO
get_class(3), is_subclass_of(3). PHP Documentation Group GET_PARENT_CLASS(3)