Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR
Operating Systems AIX GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR Post 302975598 by filosophizer on Wednesday 15th of June 2016 09:33:43 PM
Old 06-15-2016
GNU TAR vs NATIVE AIX TAR

Hello,

Getting this very strange error, made tar/zip through gnu tar

GNU Tar ( successful tar and zip without any errors )
Code:
/opt/freeware/bin/tar cvf -  /oraapp| gzip > /backup/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz

GNU unTar error
Code:
root@test8:/>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz | /opt/freeware/bin/tar xvf -
/opt/freeware/bin/tar: This does not look like a tar archive
/opt/freeware/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
/opt/freeware/bin/tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

(break CTRL+C)
root@test8:/>/opt/freeware/bin/tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.14

Native AIX unTar error
Code:
root@test8:/config1>gunzip < /config1/bkp_15_6_16_oraapp.tgz  | tar xvf -
tar: 0511-169 A directory checksum error on media; 804399264 not equal to 13879.

If I tar using native AIX tar and untar it using Native AIX tar it works fine, however, if I use GNU Tar to tar it and GNU Tar to untar it, it fails. The reason for using GNU Tar is getting files larger than 2GB

What could be the problem / issue ?

Note:
- File is not corrupt
- FTP was in binary mode
- ulimit size is -1
* works if I use native AIX tar and native AIX untar but fails if I use GNU tar.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gnu tar on Solaris 8

Here is how I got where I am: I tried untarring tomcat and at the end of the untar I get the following: So I downloaded GNU tar and did a pkgadd -d, which installed the package. But when I run /usr/local/bin/tar, I get this message: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dangral
1 Replies

2. Solaris

GNU tar on SUN 9

I downloaded GNUtar from sunfreeware.con and installed it on a sparc running sun 9. Performed pkgadd -d on the required lib and tar file and everything seemed to be ok. I tried to extract a file from a tar created using the sun version with no success. Tar ran for several hours working on the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with GNU tar installation

Hi all, Need some help here. I've been trying to install GNU tar version 1.12 into my Solaris 9 machine. steps that I have done was: -untar the package file -run "./configure" -run "make" command (got stuck at this point) Got the following error messages after hitting the make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suffer0
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

5. AIX

GNU Tar with compression for AIX 4.2 already compiled ?

Is there a GNU Tar available with compression option available for AIX 4.2 that I can directly use (not having to compile anything, simple installation) ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies
th_get_pathname(3)						  C Library Calls						th_get_pathname(3)

NAME
th_get_pathname, th_get_uid, th_get_gid, th_get_mode, th_get_crc, th_get_size, th_get_mtime, th_get_devmajor, th_get_devminor, th_get_linkname - extract individual fields of a tar header TH_ISREG, TH_ISLNK, TH_ISSYM, TH_ISCHR, TH_ISBLK, TH_ISDIR, TH_ISFIFO - determine what kind of file a tar header refers to TH_ISLONGNAME, TH_ISLONGLINK - determine whether the GNU extensions are in use SYNOPSIS
#include <libtar.h> char *th_get_linkname(TAR *t); char *th_get_pathname(TAR *t); mode_t th_get_mode(TAR *t); uid_t th_get_uid(TAR *t); gid_t th_get_gid(TAR *t); int th_get_crc(TAR *t); off_t th_get_size(TAR *t); time_t th_get_mtime(TAR *t); major_t th_get_devmajor(TAR *t); minor_t th_get_devminor(TAR *t); int TH_ISREG(TAR *t); int TH_ISLNK(TAR *t); int TH_ISSYM(TAR *t); int TH_ISCHR(TAR *t); int TH_ISBLK(TAR *t); int TH_ISDIR(TAR *t); int TH_ISFIFO(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGNAME(TAR *t); int TH_ISLONGLINK(TAR *t); VERSION
This man page documents version 1.2 of libtar. DESCRIPTION
The th_get_*() functions extract individual fields from the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_IS*() macros are used to evaluate what kind of file is pointed to by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. The TH_ISLONGNAME() and TH_ISLONGLINK() macros evaluate whether or not the GNU extensions are used by the current tar header associated with the TAR handle t. This is only relevant if the TAR_GNU option was used when tar_open() was called. SEE ALSO
tar_open(3) University of Illinois Jan 2001 th_get_pathname(3)