Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing bash script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimizing bash script Post 302975537 by MadeInGermany on Wednesday 15th of June 2016 04:41:43 AM
Old 06-15-2016
Yes a case is ideal here. And portable to other shells.
For extracting numbers there is some Posix shell builtins that need more assumptions, like "the digits are always at the end of the string".
For old Bourne shells, and without such assumptions, one needs an external helper, here expr.
Code:
case $TMFR in
*[Mm][Oo]*) factor=2592000;;
*[Ww]*) factor=604800;;
*[Dd]*) factor=86400;;
*[Hh]*) factor=3600;;
*) factor=60;;
esac
num=`expr x"$TMFR" : x"[^0-9]*\([0-9]*\)"`
FIRSTIN=`expr 0$num \* $factor`

Since expr bails out if the first character in $TMFR is a dash, the usual work-around is to prepend a character (here an x) that is normally repeated on the right side (here for clarity, would be absorbed by the [^0-9]).
The 0 is prepended to $num, so in case it is empty the result is 0.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX and Linux Applications

Optimizing query

Hi All, My first thread to this sub-forum and first thread of this sub-forum :) Here it is, Am trying to delete duplicates from a table retaining just 1 duplicate value out of the duplicate records for example : from n records of a table out of which x are duplicates, I want to remove x... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
15 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Optimizing OSX

Hi forum, I'm administrating a workstation/server for my lab and I was wondering how to optimize OSX. I was wondering what unnecessary background tasks I could kick off the system so I free up as much memory and cpu power. Other optimization tips are also welcome (HD parameters, memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiphon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help optimizing this piece of code (Shell script Busybox)

I am looking for suggestions on how I could possibly optimized that piece of code where most of the time is spend on this script. In a nutshell this is a script that creates an xml file(s) based on certain criteria that will be used by a movie jukebox. Example of data: $SORTEDTMP= it is a... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: snappy46
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing awk script

Can this awk statement be optimized? i ask because log.txt is a giant file with several hundred thousands of lines of records. myscript.sh: while read line do searchterm="${1}" datecurr=$(date +%s) file=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV,var,",");print var}' $line) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing script to reduce execution time

AFILENAME=glow.sh FILENAME="/${AFILENAME}" WIDTHA=$(echo ${FILENAME} | wc -c) NTIME=0 RESULTS=$(for eachletter in $(echo ${FILENAME} | fold -w 1) do WIDTHTIMES=$(awk "BEGIN{printf... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the Shell Script [Expert Advise Needed]

I have prepared a shell script to find the duplicates based on the part of filename and retain latest. #!/bin/bash if ; then mkdir -p dup fi NOW=$(date +"%F-%H:%M:%S") LOGFILE="purge_duplicate_log-$NOW.log" LOGTIME=`date "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"` echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gold2k8
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing bash loop

now, i have to search for a pattern within a particular time frame which the user will provide in the following format: 19/Jun/2018:07:04,21/Jun/2018:21:30 it is easy to get tempted to attempt this search with a variation of the following awk command: awk... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to block first bash script until second bash script script launches web server/site?

I'm new to utilities like socat and netcat and I'm not clear if they will do what I need. I have a "compileDeployStartWebServer.sh" script and a "StartBrowser.sh" script that are started by emacs/elisp at the same time in two different processes. I'm using Cygwin bash on Windows 10. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siegfried
3 Replies

10. Web Development

Optimizing JS and CSS

Yes. Got few suggestions. - How about minifying resources - mod_expires - Service workers setup https://www.unix.com/attachments/web-programming/7709d1550557731-sneak-preview-new-unix-com-usercp-vuejs-demo-screenshot-png (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)