Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Multiple arrays in variable using for loop Post 302975452 by RudiC on Monday 13th of June 2016 12:00:08 PM
Old 06-13-2016
You can't do that. Disregarding your syntax errors, shells - at least the ones I know of - don't provide such "dynamic variable definitions", and neither do they have multi-dimensional arrays.

Try one-dimensional (associative) arrays with an index constructed from two values.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested Loop to Echo Multiple Arrays

I have three arrays which hold three elements each. I have a fourth array which contains the names of those three arrays. I'm having difficulty creating a nested loop that can loop through each array and echo their values. script #!/bin/ksh # array of locations (usa, london, australia)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yongho
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arrays outside the loop

set -A town_name india pakistan srilanka india set -A town m=0 n=0 while } ] do t1=`echo ${town_name}` town= $t1 echo ${town} n=$((n+1)) m=$((m+1)) done t2=`echo ${town}` echo $t2 i m trying to get the value of town array outside the loop but i m nt getting it.. Could u plz... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: priyanka3006
5 Replies

3. Programming

Perl arrays and loop through array

Hi All I need to get <STDIN> from a user. the <STDIN> is a range of number delimited by "," (comma) and can be with range delimited by "-". Example: 1,2,3,4-9,12,15,34-36,70 Now I need to get this from the user and go on each number and "Do something"... but when trying to do this as above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RedGrinGo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating through two arrays in a single loop

Hey everyone. Is it possible to use two arrays in a loop? Basically what I am trying to do is iterate through the elements in an array, and, based on a condition, use the current position in the array to point to that index in the array. Here's the loop structure I'm looking for: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msarro
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with arrays and loop

Hello , im sorry for my english . im trying to create a dynamic menu that will display if the interface is ACTIVE OR STOPPED/FAILED for some reason i cant get it to work properly start_interface_func() { i=0 for interface_chk in 11 71 73 72 12 47 48 49 50 20 23 24 25 46 21 22 27 28... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visiown
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using multiple values for single variable in a loop

Hello Guys, I have a small loop problem as below. I have 3 different values to be used while running the same script - va1="some-value1" va2="some-value2" va3="some-value3" Now I want to use these three variable values to be used for running the same command, like - while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] UNIX FOR loop to read a variable with multiple values

Hi, I have a variable which stores file names as a result of find command. I need to delete all these files one by one, i.e. by a loop. Can anyone tell me how can it be done? The variable f2d has the file names like these abc.txt bcd.txt fff.txt gef.txt Now I have used a loop as... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Detail on For loop for multiple file input and bash variable usage

Dear mentors, I just need little explanation regarding for loop to give input to awk script for file in `ls *.txt |sort -t"_" -k2n,2`; do awk script $file done which sorts file in order, and will input one after another file in order to awk script suppose if I have to input 2 or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash for loop with arrays second variable?

I am fairly new to bash and am not sure how to resolve this: I have a series of geographical long/lat points eg. 50/-30 listed on separate lines in a file called junk2. I have input these into an array and am then using that array in a for loop. Towards the end of the loop I create a file called... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lily-anne
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop over multiple arrays

Hi All I need really really help with this :- I have two files ( File1 , File 2) both files are output of two different scripts. File1 usually has a list of names ( sometimes 3 names sometimes 5 sometimes more , depends about the output of the script) File2 usually has a list of numbers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsan
2 Replies