Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How would I construct a (possibly simple) IF statement? Post 302975393 by Aia on Sunday 12th of June 2016 02:39:15 AM
Old 06-12-2016
Please, try any of these, in bash:

Code:
[[ $USEROPTscript = yes  &&  ($mode = INSTALL || $mode = CHANGE) ]] && echo "True" || echo "False"

Or
Code:
[[ $USEROPTscript = yes && $mode =~ ^(INSTALL|CHANGE)$ ]] && echo "True" || echo "False"

Equivalent to:

Code:
if [[ $USEROPTscript = yes && $mode =~ ^(INSTALL|CHANGE)$ ]]; then
    echo "True"
else
    echo "False"
fi

Note: watch for the proper spaces between [[ and ]]. Watch the $ sign for variables. These suggestions are given on the fly, without testing.
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's wrong with this simple statement?

I know that this is a ridiculously simple statement, but I am getting an error when I execute it, and I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone point me in the right direction? #!/bin/ksh integer dateMonth=0 integer intZero=0 if then dateMonth = 1 fi echo $dateMonth (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh -help with case statement (should be simple)

I'm having an issue running multiple commands in a case statement. If i only run one command it works fine. Am I supposed to use double semi-colons after each statement or do i not need any at all? here is a snippet of the code: case `uname` in "Linux") echo This is linux. cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kuliksco
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using simple if statement in script

Hello, I am trying to create a simple script that will check the disk usage of a drive, and if it is over the limit it will delete the oldest ten files. everything is working except for when i implement the if statement i get the error /usb0: zero divisor. I am pretty sure that the du -k... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpage
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if statement

Hi there, Im new in the scripting world and ran into trouble yesterday. I want to make a small script that runs in crontab checking folders. If the folder size is greater than 10 (or what I set the variable to) then send a mail with a warning. #!/bin/sh set -x A=8 C=`du -skh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntenz
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple if and then statement

guys, in one of my script, I want to include and a if and then statement which basically does the the following: if a file (constant location and filename) is greater in size than 0 bytes, then it should send out an email. I have tried the following so far with no luck: 1) if # is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admininmaking
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple for statement please

Hi guys, I'm typing the following command, but I'm getting a different output than expected. for file in *20* do ls -l $file | wc -l done Instead of listing a total count of the files, it seems to be counting each file and then printing the number of the file - which is 1. How... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple If then statement

Hello, I have never actually created a bash script but thought I would give it a try and got hung up fast.(stupid noob). In the script I have parsed a xml file to get a bunch of file prefixs out. I am then going to check a folder to determine if a file with the correct prefix exists. All the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dallasbr
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple if statement help needed please

if ]; then echo "successssssssssssssssssss" $filename = "<font color='red'>$i</font>" else echo "failureeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" $filename = "$i" fi; I'm just trying to see is this - read a file name and highlight... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vmanda
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with failing simple if statement

So I'm writing a script that takes in arguments given from the shell. The last argument I'm using as a tag to tell my script, via if statements, to do one thing or another. A sample input would be: script.scr infile.txt outfile.txt F The "F" at the end there I expect to be one of two tags... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malavin
3 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)