Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Read variables from a text file for use in csh script Post 302975357 by arjaydj on Saturday 11th of June 2016 01:45:41 PM
Old 06-11-2016
Thank you very much, MadeInGermany! It works now. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required with a Csh script to read data from a file

Dears, This is what i want.. I need to read a comma separated text file whose name is config.txt. whose content is like ; bscnara,btserrr bscsana,btssanacity ..... i need to read the first string and second string and use it to execute a another shell script. This is the logic. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fizzme
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i read text file and assign its values to variables using shell

Hello, I have a cat.dat file, i would like shell to read each 3 lines and set this 3 lines to 3 different variables. my cat.dat is: 11 12 +380486461001 12 13 +380486461002 13 14 +380486461003 i want shell to make a loop and assign 1st line to student_id, 2nd line to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosalinda
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read variables contain spaces from text file

Dears, I developed a shell script to read varibales from text file as the following: cat /dev/null > /rename-OUT.txt while read line do set -- `echo $line` snmpset -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 octetstring $2 after=$(snmpget -c dslmibs $1 sysName.0 | cut -d: -f3) echo "$1,$2,$after" >>... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmed.zaher
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh script for deleting extra spaces in text file

I am new to scripting and I needed to know if there would be an easy way to delete extra spaces in a text file. I have a file with three rows with 22 numbers each, but there is extra spaces between the numbers when it gets output by this program AFNI that I am using. What script would help delete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that takes in variables, and outputs to another text or script file

Ok, I sort of need to create a command files that will be ftped to another server to run. I have some input variable that will need to be read, and then transformed into another script file. Here are some examples. Server 1: outputCmd.sh passing in ./outputCmd.sh nh8oaxt Release_4_0... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orozcom
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Environment Variables in text file and read command

I cannot get the following substitution ($ORACLE_SID) to work: The variable ORACLE_SID is set to wardin my environment. It has been exported. I have a text file called test.dat: /u07/oradata/${ORACLE_SID}/extab/finmart/summit/ps_voucher_line_crnt_ex.dbf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bradyd
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read record from the text file & assign those values to variables in the script

For eg: I have sample.txt file with 4 rows of record like: user1|password1 user2|password2 user3|password3 user4|password4 The username and password is sepsrated by '|' I want to get the 1st row value from the file and assign it to two different variables(username and password) in my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: priya001
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass variables from a text file to a shell script

Hi, I have a text file as follows: a.txt ------ STEPS=3 STEP_DURATION=100 INTERVAL=60 I want to use these values in a shell script. How to go about this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akarnya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read a file and store in variables

I have a input file like this. Sample.txt 30 | TXDatacenter | TXBackupDC 10 | UKDatacenter | UKBackupDC 0 | NLDatacenter | NLBackupDC ...... ...... ...... I need to get these values in different variables like this. Load1=30 PriCenter1=TXDatacenter... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Visha
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read record from the text file contain multiple separated values & assign those values to variables

I have a file containing multiple values, some of them are pipe separated which are to be read as separate values and some of them are single value all are these need to store in variables. I need to read this file which is an input to my script Config.txt file name, first path, second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
7 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)