Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Rename files to match file list pattern Post 302975127 by lxdorney on Wednesday 8th of June 2016 12:21:38 PM
Old 06-08-2016
Rename files to match file list pattern

Hi All,

I have 100 folders with the first delimiter has a unique name i.e (123_hello and 575_hello) and each folder have atlist 1000 plus files with naming convention i.e (575_hello_1.iso ... 575_hello_1000.iso).

Code:
575_hello/575_hello_1.iso
575_hello/575_hello_2.iso
575_hello/575_hello_3.iso
575_hello/575_hello_1000.iso

and

Code:
123_hello/123_hello_1.iso
123_hello/123_hello_2.iso
123_hello/123_hello_3.iso
123_hello/123_hello_1000.iso

What I want to do is rename all the iso files in the folders to match the pattern in my file list. like

Code:
575_hello/8888_hello_1.iso
575_hello/8888_hello_2.iso
575_hello/8888_hello_3.iso
575_hello/8888_hello_1000.iso

and

Code:
123_hello/9999_hello_1.iso
123_hello/9999_hello_2.iso
123_hello/9999_hello_3.iso
123_hello/9999_hello_1000.iso

Here is my pattern list

Code:
#cat pattern.txt
575 8888
123 9999

Thanks

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 06-08-2016 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Added code tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files that do not match the search pattern

I need to list the files that do not match the search pattern: Example: cat file1 This is how it should work cat file2 This is why I like Unix grep -option? Unix * (or some other command) returns file1 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: olapxpert
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files after internal search pattern

Hello all I am trying to do a script that would allow me to mass rename files after a grep search within them. They are XML files and the pattern I would like to append to the file name is easy to find (e.g. <filename>foo</filename>), but I can't for the life of me find out how to do it and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aavv
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK match $1 $2 pattern in file 1 to $1 $2 pattern in file2

Hi, I have 2 files that I have modified to basically match each other, however I want to determine what (if any) line in file 1 does not exist in file 2. I need to match column $1 and $2 as a single string in file1 to $1 and $2 in file2 as these two columns create a match. I'm stuck in an AWK... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch rename files that do not match pattern

Hi all, I do not have programming experience and mostly use one-liner or sometimes more to get the job done. I am having problem to batch rename the files that do not match a particular pattern. Sample file-names from directory: Meeting_Packages.pdf 13_textfile0 19_textfile0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: atulkakrana
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Split large file into smaller files based on pattern match

Help needed urgently please. I have a large file - a few hundred thousand lines. Sample CP START ACCOUNT 1234556 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 2224444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT CP START ACCOUNT 333344444 name 1 CP END ACCOUNT I need to split this file each time "CP START... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rearrange or replace only the second line after pattern match or pattern match

Im using the command below , but thats not the output that i want. it only prints the odd and even numbers. awk '{if(NR%2){print $0 > "1"}else{print $0 > "2"}}' Im hoping for something like this file1: Text hi this is just a test text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 text6 Text hi... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using partial match to another

In the below I am trying to rename the contents within each data subfolder in a specific run, based on a partial match of the IonCode_0000_ in each file in the data subdirectory to $1 in f1. There will be multiple runs in f1 but each run in $uniq is unique and will be found in f1 and the rename... (27 Replies)
27 Replies
MIC-LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK(1)				      General Commands Manual					 MIC-LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK(1)

NAME
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk - Convert a livecd image to a live USB image then write to a USB disk or partition SYNOPSIS
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk [--reset-mbr] [--noverify] [--overlay-size-mb <size>] [--home-size-mb <size>] [--unencrypted-home] <isopath> [usbstick device] <isopath> is your livecd image path name, [usbstick device] is optional, if not provided, it will detect automatically and ask you to select. DESCRIPTION
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk can convert a livecd image to a live USB image and write it to a USB disk or partition, it is different from mic- image-writer which is just a safer dd with progress bar. mic-livecd-iso-to-disk can detect all the removable USB disks and let you select one of them, if you didn't insert any USB disk, it will ask you to insert until a USB disk is available, it can decide if your USB disk need to be formated and if your USB disk has an appropriate partition for this livecd image, all the operations are interactive and have warnings f they will damage your old data on your USB disk. mic-image-manager has a GUI tool for it. OPTIONS
--reset-mbr Set MBR on your USB disk --noverify Don't verify your livecd image --overlay-size-mb Specify overlay size, the default size is 64 MB --home-size-mb Specify home size, the default is 0 EXAMPLES
Write a Molib live image to your USB disk: mic-livecd-iso-to-disk your-2.1-final.img EXIT STATUS
mic-livecd-iso-to-disk returns a zero exist status if it succeeds, otherwise return non-zero and print error message. AUTHOR
Yi Yang, Anas Nashif, Jianfeng Ding SEE ALSO
mic-image-creator(1), mic-convertor(1), mic-chroot(1), mic-image-writer(1), mic-image-manager(1) perl v5.12.3 2011-05-31 MIC-LIVECD-ISO-TO-DISK(1)